X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants & Texans Have Interest In LT Solder

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 11m11 minutes ago

More
    One free agent to watch today: #Patriots LT Nate Solder. As of last night, it sounded like #Giants or #Texans… and there wasn’t a lot of optimism that he’d return to New England.
    Giants General Manager George Young recalls, "On his first day back, he wrote on our locker room chalkboard, 'The grass is greener, my butt. P. McConkey.' "

LT is the Giants' biggest position of need. Solder is not a star but he would be an upgrade. Honestly, this was the lineman I was most hoping they would sign. I am expecting the G positions to be filled either by Nelson or another draft pick. There are many G in this draft. T are much harder to find and as long as the guy is servicable it will allow the Giants to move Flowers to RT or out of the starting lineup all-together.

If we are going to tie up big money on the OL it should be at LT. People can talk about the increasing value of a G all they want but LT is still the most important, hardest to find, hardest to develop position in your OL. It's the second most important position on your O. When LTs become easier to find than Gs then talk to me.

Any kind of upgrade at LT would have the largest net-positive impact on our team at this point in time.
    Last edited by TE88; 03-14-2018, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TE88 View Post
      LT is the Giants' biggest position of need. Solder is not a star but he would be an upgrade. Honestly, this was the lineman I was most hoping they would sign. I am expecting the G positions to be filled either by Nelson or another draft pick. There are many G in this draft. T are much harder to find and as long as the guy is servicable it will allow the Giants to move Flowers to RT or out of the starting lineup all-together.

If we are going to tie up big money on the OL it should be at LT. People can talk about the increasing value of a G all they want but LT is still the most important, hardest to find, hardest to develop position in your OL. It's the second most important position on your O. When LTs become easier to find than Gs then talk to me.

Any kind of upgrade at LT would have the largest net-positive impact on our team at this point in time.
      Do the Giants have the money to compete with Houston?
      Giants General Manager George Young recalls, "On his first day back, he wrote on our locker room chalkboard, 'The grass is greener, my butt. P. McConkey.' "

Comment

The Giants should have an interest in every OL FA that is decent and has a pulse.

But yes, LT is the biggest and most expensive.

Comment

Patricia Traina‏Verified account @Patricia_Traina 1m1 minute ago

More
          Quick thought on Solder. Although he’s older than Norwell, I like this potential move because a) the Giants desperately need tackles and b) I highly doubt the Giants pick up Flowers’ option year. If Giants get Solder, it gives them a much needed Insurance plan at the position.

Comment

+1

Left tackles are far harder to find than guards and it so happens that there are not very many good tackles in this draft and a bunch of good guards in it. Missing out on Norwell could be a blessing in disguise if we can land Solder

Comment

I agree with all of this. However if we don't land Solder, I'm very weary of what the next plan in line will be and I'd being to think it was difficult to make the massive strides I thought possible with the oline in one offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by JayMas9 View Post

I agree with all of this. However if we don't land Solder, I'm very weary of what the next plan in line will be and I'd being to think it was difficult to make the massive strides I thought possible with the oline in one offseason.
                Massive strides were always unlikely. Flowers must be replaced at LT. Solder would be a veteran option. If he is not gettable, then someone else must be found or we can forge ahead with Wheeler. The bottom line is that Flowers time at LT is up.

Comment

Originally posted by JayMas9 View Post

Land Solder or not, I still I think it's possible to make massive strides as long as we trade down this year. This is a copy of a post I made in a different thread having to do with a trade down w Buffalo for their two firsts and top two seconds.....Add Solder to this mix and we have a potentially NASTY O-Line.....

"We have so many holes that getting two first-rounders and potentially two second-rounders for one pick sounds appealing to me......We could end up with 6 of the first 66 picks......How would you feel getting McGlinchey (12), Hernandez (22) and Guice/Michel (34) with our first three picks? And all for the same price as the #2 pick, combined? Id be ecstatic"

Solder-Hernandez-Jones-Flowers/Jerry-McGlinchey

Comment

I hope we could land Solder that would be a plus. I do think we need a Tackle from FA or the draft. To fill the Tackle position with a vet like Solder would be so satisfying I really didn't think we had a real chance but just maybe we have a shot.

Comment

Since The #Texans are expected to sign interior OL Zach Fulton, formerly of the #Chiefs, to a deal that averages roughly $7.5M per year, do you think they might be nice to us and pull out of the Solder bidding?

Comment

Originally posted by kissjrj View Post
                        Since The #Texans are expected to sign interior OL Zach Fulton, formerly of the #Chiefs, to a deal that averages roughly $7.5M per year, do you think they might be nice to us and pull out of the Solder bidding?
                        One can only hope
                        Football has been very, very good to us.
                        After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                        But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                        2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                        3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                        4-New York Giants!!!
                        5-NE
                        Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Massive strides were always unlikely. Flowers must be replaced at LT. Solder would be a veteran option. If he is not gettable, then someone else must be found or we can forge ahead with Wheeler. The bottom line is that Flowers time at LT is up.
                          Agreed on Flowers. I looked at the Vikings turnaround and thought about Norwell, at least a 2nd round pick at one of the 5 positions and envisioned a pretty decent improvement. But yes, overall, there's a lot of work to do.

Comment

Bing bang boom. Glad they locked him up.

Comment

Bing bang boom. Glad they locked him up.
                              Yep now just find a way to get NeldoN in Draft move Flowers to right side and we'll be good to go
                              Football has been very, very good to us.
                              After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                              But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                              2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                              3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                              4-New York Giants!!!
                              5-NE
                              Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Working...
                              X