RBs starting to take visits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yo Alb View Post
    why in the world would anyone want Lacy? he's fat and doesn't fit our style at all. we don't open up huge holes for anyone and he's not exactly the most elusive RB.

Perkins is fine as the starting RB. We have Darkwa who can bang inside and Vereen to do his passing downs thing. Sign a vet for small money and we're fine. RBs are a dime a dozen. I don't even wanna spend a draft pick on one. Rhett Ellison can even fill in there.
    If that's what you think you haven't been paying attention Lacy was playing great until he got hurt he came in in great shape he was averaging 5+ yards a carry and over 3 1/2 yards after contact. Also don't forget he was doing all this at the beginning of the season when the Green Bay offense of line couldn't block a pop Warner team . Lacy been playing in the system just like ours he's able to run out the shotgun he's great at past protection for a running back and has soft hands Lacy on a prove it contract is a homerun period!
    sigpic"If you want to run with the BIG DOGS......You got to wiz in the TALL GRASS !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jmulroy99 View Post
      And I would argue that he does fit what we do well. He's had success running out of shot gun.
      Signing Lacy definitely does make sense for the giants. I would not complain one bit if he were brought in.
      sigpic

Comment

Whatever happens at RB, the Giants must be able to convert 3rd or 4th and 1's via the run. This is HUGE. Then the element of surprise comes back and a play action becomes deadly in those situations--and hopefully the offense can become less predictable. I have seen a fair bit of Lacy and he runs hard, falls forward and doesn't seem to get demolished in the backfield like backs that are tentative. Unless there is a young beast "diamond" RB that get those short yardage conversions then Lacy would be a great on a 1 or 2 yr deal. This is particularly important because with Eli the QB sneak is not in the playbook. Make the defense respect the run and those WRs will "go off".

Comment

im not on board with bringing any of these vets(Lacy,AP,Charles). unless its a cheap one year prove it deal which i don't think either would take.

we need younger fresher, injury free backs. get a back to pair with Perkins. it doesn't have to be a "power back" either.

i say get some fresh legs in the draft, whether its the versatile McCaffrey who i think would do great here, or someone in the mid rounds.

spend money on another OL or DT. not on aging RBs you can't trust.

i think AP should go to Oakland, Charles to Seattle, idk about Lacy.

Comment

The RB's aren't very appealing.
            AP is old and no one knows if he's any good anymore.
            Charles is constantly hurt.
            Murray can't break a tackle.
            Lacy is fat and loves to eat.
            Blount is overrated.
            The only guy who's signed in Woodhead for God sakes.

The only guy I think we should "look at" is Murray but none of these guys are especially impressive at this point in their careers.
            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by FBomb View Post
              I disagree about RB's being able to do well behind THIS line. Far to many times this line allowed runs of negative yards.

I can see the argument that our pass blocking was better than some teams, but our run blocking was just abysmal.
              Perkins played fine behind this line.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                The RB's aren't very appealing.
                AP is old and no one knows if he's any good anymore.
                Charles is constantly hurt.
                Murray can't break a tackle.
                Lacy is fat and loves to eat.
                Blount is overrated.
                The only guy who's signed in Woodhead for God sakes.

The only guy I think we should "look at" is Murray but none of these guys are especially impressive at this point in their careers.
                These rbs want to get paid.. I would much rather just draft a running back in the 3rd or 4th round. They probably will be just as effective as an ancient ap or fat Eddie lacy.

Comment

lol.....we had one of the worst run blocking offensive lines in the NFL. Just stop.

Jennings averaged 3.3 YPC last year and 4.4 the year before. You think the drop off was all him?

When you take a way the few times either one of them broke a big play, those averages drop dramatically.

That's a fan issue. Apparently only fans who care about the quality of the team or being able to run the ball are concerned about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                    That's a fan issue. Apparently only fans who care about the quality of the team or being able to run the ball are concerned about it.
                    pffft....losers!
                    I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

I don't understand this concern about cap space so early in the off season. There are SO many ways to juggle and make room. If the Giants really want AP, they would do it.
                      We lost Linval Joseph and Martellus Bennett due to cap issues. You can only juggle so much before you have to start letting good players go.

Comment

Originally posted by giants8493 View Post
                        Perkins played fine behind this line.
                        Actually 4.1 YPC against defenses playing 2 deep safeties isn't very good. None of our backs did well in situations where the defense was expecting run.
                        Perkins also did worse once he was the starter and not just getting carries in the second half when the defense was tired. He averaged 3.0 YPC against Green Bay in the playoffs.

Comment

I think the price is going to fall significantly on this FA RB class -- maybe to the point where the Giants go with a vet option and save a draft pick for another area of need (OL depth).

The good thing about the FA RB group is that most of the guys are bigger power backs - exactly what the Giants are missing given (Perkins, Vereen, Darkwa).

In terms of short term fits for the Giants and a team that is looking to win now --- I'd probably rank the RBs in following order Blount, Lacy, Murry, Peterson, Charles.

If Giants landed say Blount -- we'd have a nice balance of Perkins, Blount, Vereen, Darkwa and be able to focus on OL, Edge, DL in draft -- I think TE has fallen in terms of being a TOP priority with the addition of both Marshall and Ellison. Marshall because he gives us another weapon and Ellison because he gives us a run blocker.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingBlue123 View Post
                            I think the price is going to fall significantly on this FA RB class -- maybe to the point where the Giants go with a vet option and save a draft pick for another area of need (OL depth).

The good thing about the FA RB group is that most of the guys are bigger power backs - exactly what the Giants are missing given (Perkins, Vereen, Darkwa).

In terms of short term fits for the Giants and a team that is looking to win now --- I'd probably rank the RBs in following order Blount, Lacy, Murry, Peterson, Charles.

If Giants landed say Blount -- we'd have a nice balance of Perkins, Blount, Vereen, Darkwa and be able to focus on OL, Edge, DL in draft -- I think TE has fallen in terms of being a TOP priority with the addition of both Marshall and Ellison. Marshall because he gives us another weapon and Ellison because he gives us a run blocker.
                            If I had to pick one I'd say Murray but I'm not high on any of them. I'm guessing that Lacy goes back to GB.
                            These RB's have no idea how bad the RB market is.
                            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                              If I had to pick one I'd say Murray but I'm not high on any of them. I'm guessing that Lacy goes back to GB.
                              These RB's have no idea how bad the RB market is.
                              Yeah - I haven't seen Murray all that much. I like his age (26?) but was thinking that if in great shape we might get more short-term bang for our buck from the likes of Blount/Lacy. No argument on Murray though === but I do expect out of these guys he may get a decent deal the others may not.

I agree -- I think the RB market is going to plummet if it hasn't already --- once concern from Giant perspective is you still have many teams with TONS of space to use. Strong / deep RB class is NOT going to help these guys though.

Comment

Originally posted by southerngirl View Post
                                Actually 4.1 YPC against defenses playing 2 deep safeties isn't very good. None of our backs did well in situations where the defense was expecting run.
                                Perkins also did worse once he was the starter and not just getting carries in the second half when the defense was tired. He averaged 3.0 YPC against Green Bay in the playoffs.
                                That also has a lot to do with the timing of our run calls, very predictable, and a 3 yard gain on first down when the D is expecting run really isn't that bad

In those same spots Jennings would regularly slam his head into a wall for no gain
                                If you've never played your opinion is invalid

Comment

Working...
                                X