No announcement yet.

Gino Smith is not a good choice as backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id rather Nassib, but whatever. Nassib is still unsigned, like Cruz and Hankins.
    The Problem is the Oline, PERIOD

Comment

Smith is not my personal choice, but I actually don't know who is left out there in FA. But like others said, Eli has been an iron man at his position. Hopefully the only time we see Smith at QB, if he makes the final 53, will be in preseason or mop up duty during a game out of reach.

Who knows, maybe going to another team and system,with some stability, may be what Smith needs? And no I'm not saying he is going to become a Pro Bowler.

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
        What is wrong with a back up QB who was a two year starter in the league ?

in my opinion he is the best back up in the entire league

The idea in a perfect world is he will never play

It doesn't matter who the back up is ... if Eli goes down the team is finished
        Eli wasn't exactly a difference maker last year, and the offense did little to actually win games. The defense was the reason they won so many games and made the playoffs. The offense ranked 26th in scoring last year, averaging just 19.4 points a game. I don't think starting Nassib could possibly have resulted in much worse results. Before everyone jumps all over me, that isn't a slight on Eli, what I am saying is that it doesn't matter who the QB is, the results would still be pretty bad until they fix the underlying issues on the line.

I have heard many on here say that Brady wouldn't be any better behind this O-line. I don't know that I agree with that, but let's go with that for arguments sake. If that is the case, then it doesn't matter who is at QB, the offense is still bad. So why bother paying the salary for a good one, especially for a backup? So, I agree, it doesn't matter who the back up is, but I don't agree the team is finished if Eli goes down.
        My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
          Disagree. Our team is built around the defense now. Eli was horrible last year, and they still got in the playoffs.

It's not all about Eli anymore. Sorry but that is just not the case. They won games in spite of him last year... not because of him.
          you clearly don't understand the responsibility that Eli holds within this offense

but that's ok ... not many do

Comment

Originally posted by brad View Post
            Eli wasn't exactly a difference maker last year, and the offense did little to actually win games. The defense was the reason they won so many games and made the playoffs. The offense ranked 26th in scoring last year, averaging just 19.4 points a game. I don't think starting Nassib could possibly have resulted in much worse results. Before everyone jumps all over me, that isn't a slight on Eli, what I am saying is that it doesn't matter who the QB is, the results would still be pretty bad until they fix the underlying issues on the line.

I have heard many on here say that Brady wouldn't be any better behind this O-line. I don't know that I agree with that, but let's go with that for arguments sake. If that is the case, then it doesn't matter who is at QB, the offense is still bad. So why bother paying the salary for a good one, especially for a backup? So, I agree, it doesn't matter who the back up is, but I don't agree the team is finished if Eli goes down.
            Because you reload, you have a qb that can win it. Fix the rest of the pieces instead of introducing another unknown into the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
              Because you reload, you have a qb that can win it. Fix the rest of the pieces instead of introducing another unknown into the equation.
              I don't think Geno's salary would have gotten us a good LT...
              My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Comment

on how many teams with an established QB does the back up really matter any way.
                Nassib
                Geno
                Johnson

not really a clear cut winner at all. Geno has had the most experience as a starter but that may or may not matter.
                "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                  Disagree. Our team is built around the defense now. Eli was horrible last year, and they still got in the playoffs.

It's not all about Eli anymore. Sorry but that is just not the case. They won games in spite of him last year... not because of him.
                  Well he wasn't horrible but he's not quite the same guy we've seen in the past.
                  If Eli goes down and we have a back up who's won games in the league with a lot less than what our team has, I don't think we're finished at all.
                  Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

If Eli goes down, I do think we might be able to squeak a win or 2 with Gino - assuming our defense is as good as they were last year.
                    http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                    http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Not only that, but if our running game actually does ANYTHING this year, as opposed to the last few years, I'm pretty sure Geno knows how to hand a ball off.
                      "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                      "No...I didn't."
                      "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
                        Not only that, but if our running game actually does ANYTHING this year, as opposed to the last few years, I'm pretty sure Geno knows how to hand a ball off.
                        Just like if our OL doens't get any better, he also can dump the ball off for 2 yards at a time.
                        http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                        http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                        http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                          on how many teams with an established QB does the back up really matter any way.
                          Nassib
                          Geno
                          Johnson

not really a clear cut winner at all. Geno has had the most experience as a starter but that may or may not matter.
                          Hopefully it doesn't matter.

The one thing Geno brings with him is an established track record of what he can't do.

And that would be good to know should he ever be called upon, in game.
                          my beer drinking team has a football problem

Comment

Originally posted by poppa smurph View Post
                            Hopefully it doesn't matter.

The one thing Geno brings with him is an established track record of what he can't do.

And that would be good to know should he ever be called upon, in game.
                            The Jets made a huge mistake last year in re-signing Fitz. Fitz did not want to play and they threw a crapload of money at him in an act of desperation.
                            They should have moved on with Geno. When they finally started him later in the season he was playing well until he tore up his knee. Bad luck.

I don't get the Geno hate as our back up QB. He has some game and has NFL experience. he went 8-8 in his rookie year and then played well on a bad team in 2014.
                            He's a good choice if he ends up as our back up.

Maybe folks hate him because they have been making fun of him for so long as a Jet.
                            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

The guy has his chance. He does well in camp, he'll be a backup that we hopefully never have to use.

He sucks in camp he's cut.

End of story.
                              "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                              "No...I didn't."
                              "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                                The Jets made a huge mistake last year in re-signing Fitz. Fitz did not want to play and they threw a crapload of money at him in an act of desperation.
                                They should have moved on with Geno. When they finally started him later in the season he was playing well until he tore up his knee. Bad luck.

I don't get the Geno hate as our back up QB. He has some game and has NFL experience. he went 8-8 in his rookie year and then played well on a bad team in 2014.
                                He's a good choice if he ends up as our back up.

Maybe folks hate him because they have been making fun of him for so long as a Jet.
                                I can't say I've watched much of the Jets or Geno. Can only figure the interceptions and locker room fight are going to sway some away.
                                Team sports, within the locker room, you have to have a short memory. The goal has to be singular.

The Jets and the Redskins have to be the 2 most dysfunctional teams in the NFL.
                                my beer drinking team has a football problem

Comment

Working...
                                X