Gino Smith is not a good choice as backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    you clearly don't understand the responsibility that Eli holds within this offense

but that's ok ... not many do
    Sure I do. And he's had an excellent career and is an all time great in the organization. Not trying to get into some broad Eli debate. But there is no way any knowledgeable, objective football fan would ever argue he played well last year. I get that he was playing behind a crappy line and had no run game, but that doesn't mean he played well in spite of that.

Saying Eli didn't play well last year isn't being a hater. It's just being factually accurate. The Giants went 11-5 because of an excellent defense and Beckham's big play ability. Eli was not driving those wins.

Comment

Originally posted by poppa smurph View Post
      Hopefully it doesn't matter.

The one thing Geno brings with him is an established track record of what he can't do.

And that would be good to know should he ever be called upon, in game.
      OMG, he is a back up QB. People in this thread act like he is being brought here to start.
      If you respect others, they will respect you.

Comment

Originally posted by SG88 View Post
        OMG, he is a back up QB. People in this thread act like he is being brought here to start.
        Not only that, but he is one of 2 QBs that are being brought in to compete for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by poppa smurph View Post
          I can't say I've watched much of the Jets or Geno. Can only figure the interceptions and locker room fight are going to sway some away.
          Team sports, within the locker room, you have to have a short memory. The goal has to be singular.

The Jets and the Redskins have to be the 2 most dysfunctional teams in the NFL.
          Well most of the Int's came in his rookie year. he was better in year two even though he had a bad team.

I think the kid has some game, and he's won games in this league....and done it with a much worse team than ours.
          I'm pretty comfortable with him as our back up. It's better than having someone who hasn't done anything in the league at all.
          Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

The odds of any backup playing are pretty slim but at least he has NFL experience. As a pure backup I'd take him over Johnson or Nassib.

Comment

Originally posted by SG88 View Post
              Lol...my post was not an indictment for or against Smith's signing. Just an observation.

I'm not concerned in the least about him.
              my beer drinking team has a football problem

Comment

Originally posted by TroyArcher View Post
                The odds of any backup playing are pretty slim but at least he has NFL experience. As a pure backup I'd take him over Johnson or Nassib.
                Agreed

The addition doesn't excite me at all but your statements are correct.
                Our back up QB situation is somewhat better today than it was last season.
                For whatever that is worth.
                No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

So are the Giants going to keep three QB's on the roster ? Another roster spot wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by fifthavephil View Post
                    So are the Giants going to keep three QB's on the roster ? Another roster spot wasted.
                    I doubt it. I'm guessing we have a competition for #2 between Smith and Johnson. They may keep a young kid on the practice squad though.
                    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                      I doubt it. I'm guessing we have a competition for #2 between Smith and Johnson. They may keep a young kid on the practice squad though.
                      If Geno can't beat out the likes of Josh Johnson for a backup QB role, then he ought to look into an alternative line of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                        If Geno can't beat out the likes of Josh Johnson for a backup QB role, then he ought to look into an alternative line of work.
                        They both already should be but the giants are a charitable organization

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                          Does he have practice squad elegibility left?
                          my beer drinking team has a football problem

Comment

Originally posted by 50yeargiantsfan View Post
                            Coming off an ACL makes him questionable. The guy has a case of the swollen head. There are many better backups available. Ryan Nassib should be brought back a much better choice.Smith's performance record is not good.
                            You have zero basis to go one regarding Nassib being a better choice for a back up. Geno Smith has real game experience where he actually has some wins. Nassib has neither.

Secondly, does it really matter? Neither one is replacing Eli.
                            I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                              What is wrong with a back up QB who was a two year starter in the league ?

in my opinion he is the best back up in the entire league

The idea in a perfect world is he will never play

It doesn't matter who the back up is ... if Eli goes down the team is finished

^ this. I always liked Nassib but he had no experience and never got on the field. at least Gino has played the pro game and can maybe hold down the fort if Eli is out for a short period of time.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                                Sure I do. And he's had an excellent career and is an all time great in the organization. Not trying to get into some broad Eli debate. But there is no way any knowledgeable, objective football fan would ever argue he played well last year. I get that he was playing behind a crappy line and had no run game, but that doesn't mean he played well in spite of that.

Saying Eli didn't play well last year isn't being a hater. It's just being factually accurate. The Giants went 11-5 because of an excellent defense and Beckham's big play ability. Eli was not driving those wins.
                                no back up is going to come in and run the full offense ... they won't even run half of the offense ... especially a guy who just got here

if Eli goes down the season is a wrap

sorry my friend but those are the facts

if there was a backup who had been here a few season and could comprehend at least half of the offense maybe they could attempt to make this thing go

but any back up that comes in this season is basically simply filling a roster spot ...

Comment

Working...
                                X