Pats "tender" Blount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pats "tender" Blount

Meaning, if the Giants want him, it might cost them in the compensatory pick category. Guessing they like Wayne the Train enough going forward, or they'd have signed Blount already? (Important Sidebar: Giants, or anyone else, have until July 22 to sign Blount with a compensatory pick penalty. After that date, he cannot be signed until after week 10 by anyone but NE).
    Last edited by elitocruz; 05-10-2017, 03:39 PM.

Jerry Reese and the FO have shown no cleverness to navigate the compensatory pick process like a Baltimore or New England does, so I doubt this would make any difference to them. If they want to sign him, then they'll sign him. I don't think they want him though.

Comment

Originally posted by Onyxmeth View Post
      Jerry Reese and the FO have shown no cleverness to navigate the compensatory pick process like a Baltimore or New England does, so I doubt this would make any difference to them. If they want to sign him, then they'll sign him. I don't think they want him though.
      How exactly do the Ravens and Pats "cleverly" navigate the compensatory pick process in a way that JR does not?

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
        How exactly do the Ravens and Pats "cleverly" navigate the compensatory pick process in a way that JR does not?
        It's a bit of a snowball effect. The Ravens have had a history of trading down, and so they draft more often than league average. This allows them to fill more depth in with draft picks than free agents. This in turn allows them to not feel the pressure of having to pay market value for their own free agents when they feel they aren't worth it. To supplement any holes that aren't filled, the Ravens target players that have been cut, which don't count against them for compensatory picks, and acquire players after the deadline instead of attacking free agency early, which also allows them to pick up depth players that don't count against them. Instead of cutting cap casualties, they trade them away.

Now the Giants. They do not trade down. They draft below the NFL average in quantity of selections per year. They are Day 1 free agent hunters of the kind that were not cut from their previous team. They spent years filling marginal roles and depth positions in free agency before the deadline was up. They cut players for cap space. They don't do anything to start the snowball effect that would allow them a steady stream of compensatory picks if things broke right.

Comment

wasn't the deadline midnight last night? when did the Pats tender him?

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Yen View Post
            wasn't the deadline midnight last night? when did the Pats tender him?
            3 minutes and 28 seconds before midnight. There is a reasoning behind everything Belly does.
            Jerry Reese is burying this team in a premature grave

Comment

Why do we want Blount? We have like 6 RBs on our roster right now. If I were to predict the chance that the Giants get Blount I'd put it at 1%.

Comment

that tender kinda screws blount, no?

Comment

Originally posted by compaqnigg View Post
                  Why do we want Blount? We have like 6 RBs on our roster right now. If I were to predict the chance that the Giants get Blount I'd put it at 1%.
                  to have a veteran running back. do you really feel comfortable with a 1 year player and a rookie as your best running backs?

Comment

to have a veteran running back. do you really feel comfortable with a 1 year player and a rookie as your best running backs?
                    yes.

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post
                      yes.
                      I would agree if we had a battle tested all pro line like Dallas has had past few years. But with the inconsistency surrounding this O Line I think most on here would disagree with you and feel more comfortable to have a Vet on the roster to get those tough yards down near goal line or on 3rd & 4th and short.

Would​ you rather have Perkins or a rookie like Gallman who have little experience and go about 210 running it for you in those situations or someone that has done it over and over who had 18 TDs last year that goes 245 by contrast??
                      Football has been very, very good to us.
                      After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                      But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                      2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                      3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                      4-New York Giants!!!
                      5-NE
                      Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post
                        I would agree if we had a battle tested all pro line like Dallas has had past few years. But with the inconsistency surrounding this O Line I think most on here would disagree with you and feel more comfortable to have a Vet on the roster to get those tough yards down near goal line or on 3rd & 4th and short.

Would​ you rather have Perkins or a rookie like Gallman who have little experience and go about 210 running it for you in those situations or someone that has done it over and over who had 18 TDs last year that goes 245 by contrast??
                        What are the numbers 210 and 245 in reference to?

Comment

hey mike, i hear ya. i wanted to draft (or UDFA) a home run hitting RB, personally. Darkwa and rainey, have issues but both are better runners than jennings was last year. folks keep acting like we have money to spend on FA, but the FO already blew the wad, and yeah things can be maneuvered, but at what cost? we have our own FAs to sign coming very soon. i think the NYG will most likely make due with what they have. mike gillisee? was signed by the pats from buffalo..they didn't even try for him. just don't see the FO overspending for blount or any other vet. once cuts are made, they may pick up a bargain guy.. they got draughn who also can be used in a pinch. no doubt RB is weak depth position.though as you stated. i'm hoping one of the UDFA that went elsewhere like breida(who i think was signed UDFA by san fran) becomes available after teams make their final roster cuts. patience is the name of the game methinks

2 cents

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/colle...l-with/2322231
                          Last edited by bigpoppy; 05-11-2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Didn't seem to hinder Perkins. Blont would be fine in our system!

Comment

Didn't seem to hinder Perkins. Blont would be fine in our system!
                              becasue perkins makes the first guy miss. crucial to the system.

Comment

Working...
                              X