New Orleans should be stripped of their Lombardi Trophy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Orleans should be stripped of their Lombardi Trophy

People are saying suspending Sean Payton for one season was too much punishment. I say it isn't enough. Who says the Saints would have won that Super Bowl if they weren't going after Brett Favre's legs in that NFC Championship game (and all the other player they faced in that season).

In a league where player safety is paramount, the Saints attempted to injure players in order to give themselves an unfair and illegal advantage. It is completely and utterly despicable in my eyes.

Just as Barry Bonds and the rest of the steroid users should be stripped of their records and awards for cheating, New Orleans should be stripped of their Lombardi Trophy.

Re: New Orleans should be stripped of their Lombardi Trophy

disagree

Comment

+1
      on the disagree

Comment

[quote user="miken609"]People are saying suspending Sean Payton for one season was too much punishment. I say it isn't enough. Who says the Saints would have won that Super Bowl if they weren't going after Brett Favre's legs in that NFC Championship game (and all the other player they faced in that season).

In a league where player safety is paramount, the Saints attempted to injure players in order to give themselves an unfair and illegal advantage. It is completely and utterly despicable in my eyes.

Just as Barry Bonds and the rest of the steroid users should be stripped of their records and awards for cheating, New Orleans should be stripped of their Lombardi Trophy.[/quote]

By doing that you're also punishing the fans. The League is focusing on those responsible starting at the top. I think that's the right approach. I also think the punishments so far have fit the "crime."
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="miken609"]People are saying suspending Sean Payton for one season was too much punishment. I say it isn't enough. Who says the Saints would have won that Super Bowl if they weren't going after Brett Favre's legs in that NFC Championship game (and all the other player they faced in that season).

Just as Barry Bonds and the rest of the steroid users should be stripped of their records and awards for cheating, New Orleans should be stripped of their Lombardi Trophy.[/quote]

By doing that you're also punishing the fans.* The League is focusing on those responsible starting at the top.* I think that's the right approach.* I also think the punishments so far have fit the "crime."
          [/quote]

The fans have no connection to the team and should not play a part in this. The Saints already let their fans down.

Comment

[quote user="miken609"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="miken609"]People are saying suspending Sean Payton for one season was too much punishment. I say it isn't enough. Who says the Saints would have won that Super Bowl if they weren't going after Brett Favre's legs in that NFC Championship game (and all the other player they faced in that season).

By doing that you're also punishing the fans. The League is focusing on those responsible starting at the top. I think that's the right approach. I also think the punishments so far have fit the "crime."
            [/quote]

The fans have no connection to the team and should not play a part in this. The Saints already let their fans down.[/quote]

So you'd be OK if this was the GIANTS and we suddenly had lost one or more SB trophies?
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

[quote user="miken609"]People are saying suspending Sean Payton for one season was too much punishment. I say it isn't enough. Who says the Saints would have won that Super Bowl if they weren't going after Brett Favre's legs in that NFC Championship game (and all the other player they faced in that season).

No point in that unless there was bunch of illegal hits, and those should have been called in the game. I do think after them being told to stop, then the denial/stonewalling, and finally getting busted, someone should be ousted for life.

Comment

Dude I just made a comment about this very thing and I agree with it.

Comment

and what about us faking injuries? ,where would you draw the line at stripping titles?

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="miken609"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="miken609"]People are saying suspending Sean Payton for one season was too much punishment. I say it isn't enough. Who says the Saints would have won that Super Bowl if they weren't going after Brett Favre's legs in that NFC Championship game (and all the other player they faced in that season).

By doing that you're also punishing the fans.* The League is focusing on those responsible starting at the top.* I think that's the right approach.* I also think the punishments so far have fit the "crime."
                    [/quote]

The fans have no connection to the team and should not play a part in this. The Saints already let their fans down.[/quote]

So you'd be OK if this was the GIANTS and we suddenly had lost one or more SB trophies?
                    [/quote]Of course I wouldn't be "ok." I would be angry. However, my anger would be channeled at my beloved Giants, not the NFL, who played no part in the wrongdoing of the team who committed the crime.

Bottomline: Saints cheated. Won a Lombardi Trophy while cheating. (It doesn't matter whether or not the fact that they cheated actually helped them win a Super Bowl). Therefore, because they were cheating while they won a Lombardi Trophy, they should be stripped of said Lombardi Trophy.

Keep in mind the severity of their wrongdoing when they broke the rule. This was not some little rule where you can just say "Aww shucks, the past is the past is the past."

Comment

[quote user="Harooni"]and what about us faking injuries? ,where would you draw the line at stripping titles?
                      [/quote]It was a definite case of us faking injuries in the Rams game. Guess we forfeit that win. Oh crap, we would of lost on tiebreakers then. Patriots win the 2012 Superbowl!

Comment

[quote user="Harooni"]and what about us faking injuries? ,where would you draw the line at stripping titles?
                        [/quote]
                        This was an in-game penalty that was missed by the official. There's a huge difference. I don't know where exactly to draw the line, but any form of a large scale scandal with money involved should warrant the stripping of a title. Especially a bounty scandal where people are intentionally injured.

Comment

[quote user="TheEnigma"][quote user="Harooni"]and what about us faking injuries? ,where would you draw the line at stripping titles?
                          [/quote]It was a definite case of us faking injuries in the Rams game. Guess we forfeit that win. Oh crap, we would of lost on tiebreakers then. Patriots win the 2012 Superbowl![/quote]
                          False. This was simply an in-game penalty that was missed by the official.

Comment

Incentives to hurt people isn't really cheating. It's just slimy and uncalled for. Not like they broke an in-game rule.

That 09 Saints team was dominant even without the incentives so I'd wager they still would of won the Superbowl without them.

Now if they had someone on the Colts side that leaked plays to the Saints, we might have a discussion.

Comment

Really..........?

Comment

Working...
                              X