Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARBITRATOR REJECTS APPEAL, SANCTIONS FOR BOUNTYGATE IN NFL'S HANDS

ARBITRATOR REJECTS APPEAL, SANCTIONS FOR BOUNTYGATE IN NFL'S HANDS

"Arbitrator Stephen Burbank on Monday rejected the appeals of four New Orleans Saints players, who
    were attempting to take NFL-imposed Bountygate suspensions out of comissioner
    Roger Goodell's hands, CBSSports.com has learned.

When Goodell suspended the players -- Jonathan Vilma, Scott Fujita (now with
    Browns), Will Smith and
    Anthony Hargrove
    (now with Packers) -- the NFLPA appealed on their behalf, saying discipline in
    the case should be under Burbank's jurisdiction. Burbank rejected that notion,
    several sources said. An official announcement is expected soon. </p>

This means that Goodell's disciplinary process in the Saints matter will move
    forward under NFL jurisdiction." </p>
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: ARBITRATOR REJECTS APPEAL, SANCTIONS FOR BOUNTYGATE IN NFL'S HANDS

Thankfully
    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

[quote user="jomo"]Thankfully[/quote] ditto
      Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

Comment

Let's hope it's the last we hear of such a program anywhere in the NFL
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

so what happens if drew brees does not sign by the 16th?

Comment

[quote user="BigBlue121"]so what happens if drew brees does not sign by the 16th?
            [/quote]

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/drew-br...5191--nfl.html

Can't see why anyone would say no to guaranteed money in terms of $16.4 million. I don't think the Saints can win the Superbowl next season with a brand new coach instead of suspended Sean Payton. Brees can just go on cruise-control the whole season. The money is in the bank.

On the other side, I don't think the Saints are going to press too hard to satisfy Brees' demands for a long-term deal yet knowing their upcoming season is likely a lost cause already thanks to Goodell.

Comment

Not popular here I know, but I think the players were punished too harshly. Haven't seen anything that really connects to bounties rather than pay for play. Why these specific players hasn't been addressed. I say Goddell's power has gone to his head.

Comment

[quote user="bELIeve_in_Giants"]Not popular here I know, but I think the players were punished too harshly. Haven't seen anything that really connects to bounties rather than pay for play. Why these specific players hasn't been addressed. I say Goddell's power has gone to his head.
                [/quote]

Maybe not popular, but you're not the only one who feels that way. Interestingly enough, every tid-bit of information that comes out after players complain they are being railroaded supports the League's contention that players were paid to purposely hurt other players. The Williams audio tape where he mentions specific body parts was all I needed to hear.

I think its unlikely the NFL would make this stuff up.

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="bELIeve_in_Giants"]Not popular here I know, but I think the players were punished too harshly. Haven't seen anything that really connects to bounties rather than pay for play. Why these specific players hasn't been addressed. I say Goddell's power has gone to his head.
                  [/quote]

Maybe not popular, but you're not the only one who feels that way. Interestingly enough, every tid-bit of information that comes out after players complain they are being railroaded supports the League's contention that players were paid to purposely hurt other players. The Williams audio tape where he mentions specific body parts was all I needed to hear.

[/quote]

I have no complaints about the coaches' punishments. They ran the system and it was well thought out. I just don't see why these players were chosen for punishment. There hasn't been any evidence that they targeted players to hurt - even if Williams was spouting off about it. The bit about Vilma putting in money against Farve is heresy to this point. Everytime more comes out - I feel it is more against the coaches, not the players.

Comment

[quote user="bELIeve_in_Giants"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="bELIeve_in_Giants"]Not popular here I know, but I think the players were punished too harshly. Haven't seen anything that really connects to bounties rather than pay for play. Why these specific players hasn't been addressed. I say Goddell's power has gone to his head.
                    [/quote]

[/quote]

I have no complaints about the coaches' punishments. They ran the system and it was well thought out. I just don't see why these players were chosen for punishment. There hasn't been any evidence that they targeted players to hurt - even if Williams was spouting off about it. The bit about Vilma putting in money against Farve is heresy to this point. Everytime more comes out - I feel it is more against the coaches, not the players.
                    [/quote]

The NFL has stated these players can't hide behind the "coach told me to do it." There is more information coming out even now that Peter King, and others, describe as "compelling."

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="bELIeve_in_Giants"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="bELIeve_in_Giants"]Not popular here I know, but I think the players were punished too harshly. Haven't seen anything that really connects to bounties rather than pay for play. Why these specific players hasn't been addressed. I say Goddell's power has gone to his head.
                      [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The NFL has stated these players can't hide behind the "coach told me to do it." There is more information coming out even now that Peter King, and others, describe as "compelling."
                      [/quote]

I'll wait to see it before I declare the players guilty. Everything compelling I've seen has been against Williams - who I hope isn't allowed back into the league. Taking a year away from a player (whose time in the league is only 10 years if he's lucky vs. 30 years for a coach) is only justified if they know he tried to injure another player, imho.

Comment

Peter King ?@SI_PeterKing

Saints info 3: It's abundantly clear there was a mountain of evidence for pay-for-performance, far less (but some) for bounty system ...
                        Expand

Retweet
                        Favorite

Peter King ?@SI_PeterKing

... Public will be judge if penalties fit the crime. From what I saw, some sanctions altogether justified. These sanctions seemed excessive.
                        Expand

Retweet
                        Favorite

Comment

Working...
                        X