Baseball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball

so, I am from the UK and love the mighty Giants.(followed them for about 1 and a half years now)

I follow Hockey with Rangers.

and now I have the issue of who to follow in Baseball? I don't really want to follow Yankee's just for the reason of them being the most popular team but as a huge Giant's fan is there a team which I HAVE to follow within Baseball??

Re: Baseball

As it turns out, most Giants fans are Yankees fans. But, just follow who you want. But, just not a team from Philly, Boston, DC, or Dallas.

Comment

Just do yourself a favor dude, don't be a Mets fan. Take it from me, it's torture.

Comment

Be a Cubs fan.

Comment

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"]Be a Cubs fan.
          [/quote]

I can't do that, I want my teams to be NY only as I've always wanted to live in NY (which will most probably never happen) and both my other teams are NY so the third can't be NY

Comment

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"]Be a Cubs fan.
            [/quote]
            That just might be worse than being a Mets fan, lol.

Comment

[quote user="Walsh"][quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"]Be a Cubs fan.
              [/quote]

I can't do that, I want my teams to be NY only as I've always wanted to live in NY (which will most probably never happen) and both my other teams are NY so the third can't be NY [/quote]

So its either Yankees or Mets, I wouldn't pick the Mets unless you enjoy being disappointed year after year.

Comment

[quote user="ShakeNBake"][quote user="Walsh"][quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"]Be a Cubs fan.
                [/quote]

I can't do that, I want my teams to be NY only as I've always wanted to live in NY (which will most probably never happen) and both my other teams are NY so the third can't be NY [/quote]

So its either Yankees or Mets, I wouldn't pick the Mets unless you enjoy being disappointed year after year.
                [/quote]

well on Saturday it is NY vs NY, I will watch the game and see what game suites me but I am swinging the way to the Met's a lot!!

Comment

[quote user="Walsh"][quote user="ShakeNBake"][quote user="Walsh"][quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"]Be a Cubs fan.
                  [/quote]

[/quote]

well on Saturday it is NY vs NY, I will watch the game and see what game suites me but I am swinging the way to the Met's a lot!![/quote]

As a Mets fan, I can tell you that it gets annoying going to games and seeing every highlight from the 86 run. They show the entire world series highlights every home game.. I guess that's all we really have as Mets fans though besides 1969.

Comment

The Giants and Yankees cohabited in Yankee Stadium from 1956-1972. They are New York's elder franchises (1925 and 1903) and both have rich histories and tradition. They both also have conservative values and no-nonsense playing styles (no cheerleaders, no apples popping out of top hats). They both value their former players and both teams have a long stream of important players and coaches. The two franchises really do have a lot in common.

Also the golden era of 1956-1963 was unparalleled in sports history and bonded the two teams together making Yankee Stadium the nexus of the sports universe -- the Giants were in the championship game 6 times in 8 years and the Yankees were in the World Series 7 times in the same 8 years.

Yes with the Yankees you will have the idiots who loosely follow them because they have won 27 championships but there are other types of fans at the core.
                    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]The Giants and Yankees cohabited in Yankee Stadium from 1956-1972. They are New York's elder franchises (1925 and 1903) and both have rich histories and tradition. They both also have conservative values and no-nonsense playing styles (no cheerleaders, no apples popping out of top hats). They both value their former players. The two franchises really do have a lot in common.

Yes with the Yankees you will have the idiots who loosely follow them because they have won 27 championships but there are other types of fans at the core.
                      [/quote]

The New York baseball Giants were 20 years older than the Yanks. My family stems from baseball Giants fans. Unfortunately the Wilpons hate the Giants and built the stadium as a momento to the Dodgers. Them moving apparently killed my great grandmother of heartache... or so says my grandfather.

Comment

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"]
                        The New York baseball Giants were 20 years older than the Yanks. My family stems from baseball Giants fans. Unfortunately the Wilpons hate the Giants and built the stadium as a momento to the Dodgers.
                        [/quote]

Both teams moved out in 1958; the baseball teams we have left are from 1903 and 1962.

One of the reasons I have disdain for the Mets (aside from the poor manner in which they are run) is their infatuation with the Dodgers... Yes, I get they were created to replace the Dodgers & Giants -- the Dodger blue, the Giant orange, the Yankee pinstripes. I get it. But I think it's pathetic they rely on nostalgia for two teams that left instead of building their own. The franchise is 52 years old, how about making their own history? The first time I went to Citi Field not only does it look like Ebbet's Field but there's a giant mural of JACKIE ROBINSON WHO DID NOT PLAY FOR THE METS in the rotunda entrance and DODGER GHOSTS on the walls. Did I miss when the Dodgers came back to New York?

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

[quote user="Walsh"]well on Saturday it is NY vs NY, I will watch the game and see what game suites me but I am swinging the way to the Met's a lot!![/quote]

Don't do it, the Mets are institutional losers! Have you paid attention to the Jets? That's the Mets in MLB. They are gimmicky, always relying on huge free agent risks, tearing down the whole organization every 4-5 years because their plans went so wrong. Gimmicky sideshows on the field to distract from the bad ball being played.

Would you follow the Jets in football?

And besides, you follow the Rangers so you already have a snakebitten franchise on the books.

Comment

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"][quote user="Walsh"]well on Saturday it is NY vs NY, I will watch the game and see what game suites me but I am swinging the way to the Met's a lot!![/quote]

Don't do it, the Mets are institutional losers! Have you paid attention to the Jets? That's the Mets in MLB. They are gimmicky, always relying on huge free agent risks, tearing down the whole organization every 4-5 years because their plans went so wrong. Gimmicky sideshows on the field to distract from the bad ball being played.

Would you follow the Jets in football?

And besides, you follow the Rangers so you already have a snakebitten franchise on the books.
                            [/quote]

Okay... first of all they aren't the Jets of the MLB. That's the Marlins. Outside of Bay, the entire Mets team is basically Mets farm players, players they've aquired in trades, and other teams cast offs. I go to a lot of Mets and Yankees games and neither franchise has side shows IMO. The Yankees are the ones who depend on big name free agents. Sabathia, Burnett, ARod, Texiera, Granderson, Giambi, David Wells, Wade Boggs. Outside of Jeter, Posada, and Rivera, the Yankees can't grow a team on their own. So they just sign every other team's superstars to huge contracts and when they start sucking, they trade them to the Pirates or A's and pay 80% of the salary.

Who on the Mets is a big name free agent currently besides Bay?

Lets look at the Yankees big name free agents currently on the roster:
                            ARod, Texeira, Igarashi, Soriano, Martin, Swisher, Jones, Ibanez, Granderson, Chavez

Comment

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"]
                              Okay... first of all they aren't the Jets of the MLB. That's the Marlins. Outside of Bay, the entire Mets team is basically Mets farm players, players they've aquired in trades, and other teams cast offs.[/quote]

NOW they are reaping the benefits of their farm system, for the first time in a long time, and are to be commended. But since the Bobby Bonilla days it's been a free agent spending spree most of the time. How many farm system players ever starred for the Mets in the last 20 years? Reyes and Wright? The Mets spend most of their time centering the franchise around huge free agents like Bonilla and Pi***a. The Yankees haven't done that since Reggie Jackson days (and even then he was dropped into a team stocked with home grown talent that was already on the verge by itself).

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"] I go to a lot of Mets and Yankees games and neither franchise has side shows IMO.[/quote]

You're kidding, right?

Amateur theatrical gimmicks. The Yankees and Giants don't waste their time on that rubbish. The Mets and Jets do (the Jets have cheerleaders and guys with flags who criss cross the field on a TD).

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"]The Yankees are the ones who depend on big name free agents. Sabathia, Burnett, ARod, Texiera, Granderson, Giambi, David Wells, Wade Boggs. Outside of Jeter, Posada, and Rivera, the Yankees can't grow a team on their own.[/quote]

Horse ****. The Yankees sprinkle in some big name free agents but the core is always from their farm system, it puts the Mets to shame. Look at the current roster (and I'll include injured guys) -- Pettite, Jeter, Rivera, Chamberlain, Cano, Hughes, Nova, et al. Over the last 20 years I can name a dozen huge superstar home grown players for the Yankees (throw in Mattingly, Bernie, Posada), versus how many for the Mets, two or three?

Comment

Working...
                              X