X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laurah1275
    started a topic ???????

???????

Ok, how strict are the rules in an NFL game, cuz I'm trying to understand interference in games and came across this on NFL website: No opponent may interfere with the fair catcher, the ball, or his path to the ball. Penalty: 15 yards from spot of foul and fair catch is awarded.

WHAT??? Why would an opposing team just LET someone catch the ball without at least trying to stop him?

• Medisleman
    replied
    Wait till this new member's sees how inconsistent the referees are when calling pass interference. Laurah's head may explode.

Leave a comment:

• Rat_bastich
    replied
    Originally posted by Giantsfan241 View Post
    I'm talking about her(him) saying that she can't wait until Romo passes TDs to Cruz.
    Ahhhhhhh....soooooooo!

Leave a comment:

• Giantsfan241
    replied
    Originally posted by Rat_bastich View Post
    Unless they are like Cromartie...a DB and WR apparently in his mind.
    I'm talking about her(him) saying that she can't wait until Romo passes TDs to Cruz.

Leave a comment:

• Rat_bastich
    replied
    Another rule you should pick up is that our wr's are not on the field at the same time the opposing qb is.
    Unless they are like Cromartie...a DB and WR apparently in his mind.

Leave a comment:

• Rat_bastich
    replied
    Originally posted by bigblue58 View Post
    Let me try and expalin it simply:
    A defender can only put his hands on a receiver within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, then he has to disengage or be flagged for illegal contact.
    When a defender is defending a pass, any contact with the receiver WITH THE DEFENDER'S BACK TO THE BALL or AWAY FROM THE PLAY on the opposite side of the field.... is illegal and will get a flag.
    The defender is allowed to go for the ball too, so he 's allowed to make contact with the receiver AS LONG AS THE DEFENDER IS GOING FOR THE BALL...then there is no foul.
    Then there is INCIDENTAL contact which is also NOT a foul if in the official's judgement, contact such as tripping, etc was inadvertant and accidental.

You know...you don't realize just how involved this game is until you try to explain the rules to someone! That happened to me with an Indian fellow on the bus who wanted me to explain American football to him. There were a thousand things to explain just for the kickoff alone!
    Also, a defender can have his hand touching the offensive player as long as he doesn't impede the offensive player, ie. latching on to his arm, turning the player, wrapping his arm around the waist or torso or keeping the player from raising his arm. However, once the player has the ball in his hands he is fair game. There are also incidences where both players are going for the ball and collide...this is incidental contact and not a penalty.

Here you go...pretty in depth:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

Leave a comment:

• Giantsfan241
    replied
    Another rule you should pick up is that our wr's are not on the field at the same time the opposing qb is.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue58
    replied
    Originally posted by Laurah1275 View Post
    So you can't interfere with someone who's trying to catch the ball, but once the ball is thrown, the opposing team can swat it down if they can?
    Let me try and expalin it simply:
    A defender can only put his hands on a receiver within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, then he has to disengage or be flagged for illegal contact.
    When a defender is defending a pass, any contact with the receiver WITH THE DEFENDER'S BACK TO THE BALL or AWAY FROM THE PLAY on the opposite side of the field.... is illegal and will get a flag.
    The defender is allowed to go for the ball too, so he 's allowed to make contact with the receiver AS LONG AS THE DEFENDER IS GOING FOR THE BALL...then there is no foul.
    Then there is INCIDENTAL contact which is also NOT a foul if in the official's judgement, contact such as tripping, etc was inadvertant and accidental.

You know...you don't realize just how involved this game is until you try to explain the rules to someone! That happened to me with an Indian fellow on the bus who wanted me to explain American football to him. There were a thousand things to explain just for the kickoff alone!
    Last edited by bigblue58; 08-23-2012, 10:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• giantsandyanks1
    replied
    I remember the giants running a football 101 class at the stadium not sure if they still do

Leave a comment:

• RoanokeFan
    replied
    So you can't interfere with someone who's trying to catch the ball, but once the ball is thrown, the opposing team can swat it down if they can?
    The ball isn't "thrown", it's kicked or punted. The player assigned to catch the punt or kick has the option of "signaling" a fair catch. No opposing player can physically interfere with him catching the ball once he clearly makes the signal. If there is no fair catch signal the player catching the punt or kick must be allowed to field the ball before contact by an opposing player is made UNLESS the opposing player is blocked into the catcher by a member of the catcher's team.

Leave a comment:

• Laurah1275
    replied
    Originally posted by FIFTY6G-MAN View Post
    COME ON, MAN! I need to get a few jabs in now and then.
    LOL, it's all good, I still luv u most Fifty...although I must admit Giantsfan 241 and Moke are giving you a run for the money.

Leave a comment:

• Moke
    replied
    Oh god noww.......

Leave a comment:

• FIFTY6G-MAN
    replied
    Thank you guys so much, I'm really starting to understand. With my internet research and all of your input, I'm loving the game more and more. Special thanx to you Fifty....your two cents is always so witty and informative.
    COME ON, MAN! I need to get a few jabs in now and then.

Leave a comment:

• Imgrate
    replied
    There's some weird people out there.

Leave a comment:

• fansince69
    replied
    they just blocked the ir and trade deadline rules.
    Those are roster front office rules....I was more referring to rules on the field

Leave a comment:

Working...
X