Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL may eliminate kickoffs!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NFL may eliminate kickoffs!

    Roger Goodell is contemplating eliminating kickoffs during games for safety reasons. Check out the article, it's an interesting idea being pushed by Greg Shiano head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Let's talk about how this would affect the game as we have grown to know and love. Fast forward 10 years this could be the flag football league.

    http://usat.ly/121zWVm
    Last edited by Chris Christie; 12-06-2012, 04:47 PM.
    Not the actual Man, Myth, Legend....Just a Giant fan since birth, I come in peace


  • #2
    Ed Reed said it best NFL wants a powder puff league



    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...er-puff-league

    The amount of fines they are handing out lot of the players wont take a chance in case they get fined.If we win the game and I get 50K fine little tough to be happy about anything ask E Reed.

    http://boards.giants.com/showthread....ES-WEEK12-NONE
    Last edited by ibbill; 12-06-2012, 04:52 PM.
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

    Comment


    • #3
      This is pathetic really...smh. Let's take away one of the most exciting plays in the NFL.
      sigpicShould the Giants fire Gilbride....

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONL7L...yer_detailpage

      Comment


      • #4
        He's doing it because of the injury factor.

        I'm donating work to a hospital rehab gym (dedicated to this young man) this month because of a young man of 23 who, playing college football, got smacked real hard on a kickoff (it looked like helmet to helmet but it's hard to say) and went into a coma. The brain was filling up with blood, they cut half his brain away at this point and he barely talks and has difficulty walking for any period of time. He's as good as he's going to be at 25 after 2 years of therapy and brain surgeries.

        I know his story is sad and tragic and for anonymity I'll keep his name and school out of this. By the way, he was misdiagnosed and had a mild concussion when this happened but the school let him on the field.

        I'm not one of those that goes around saying "if it saves one person" and the young man that this happened to does not blame the game but I can see the point.

        Comment


        • #5
          the day this rule goes into affect is the day I stop watching and sell my season tickets

          this sport has been dying a slow death that started when the Mel Blount rule was put into affect

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by oldgiantfan View Post
            He's doing it because of the injury factor.

            I'm donating work to a hospital rehab gym (dedicated to this young man) this month because of a young man of 23 who, playing college football, got smacked real hard on a kickoff (it looked like helmet to helmet but it's hard to say) and went into a coma. The brain was filling up with blood, they cut half his brain away at this point and he barely talks and has difficulty walking for any period of time. He's as good as he's going to be at 25 after 2 years of therapy and brain surgeries.

            I know his story is sad and tragic and for anonymity I'll keep his name and school out of this. By the way, he was misdiagnosed and had a mild concussion when this happened but the school let him on the field.

            I'm not one of those that goes around saying "if it saves one person" and the young man that this happened to does not blame the game but I can see the point.
            That is sad but it will happen again even if they ban the kickoff or not What about the punt ret.You never hear much about Boxers UFC guess the owners have not been sued and lost yet.
            Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

            Comment


            • #7
              How is this bad for us lol, we suck at kickoffs both ways usually.

              Comment


              • #8
                So if that happens does the home team get the ball first? or will they do a coin toss?
                New York Giants Superbowl XXI, XXV, XLII, XLVI Champions!!!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  It'd be different, but I wouldn't lose sleep
                  My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So does that mean no more punts? What happens to punters?
                    Mood: WOOF!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ..........and therefore no onside kick for a trailing team?
                      No one remembers who came in second.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                        the day this rule goes into affect is the day I stop watching and sell my season tickets

                        this sport has been dying a slow death that started when the Mel Blount rule was put into affect
                        It is true that the very basis of the sport is changing. It seems that a receiver reaching for a pass near the first down markers automatically gets a first down. There is no legal way anymore to stop a receiver in his tracks or jar the ball loose in bang bang fashion. The best you can do is to sort of wrap up and dump the reciever as in rugby. That tacks on a couple of yards and gives the offense an automatic first down. I worry about the future of the game along with you.
                        No one remembers who came in second.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          my first thought is that this would suck. I dont like seeing players injured but this is a viloent game and it is part of the sport.
                          Outlaw down hill skiing, or motorcross, or cliff diving...etc. Injury is part of the game.
                          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Look at the bright side, when there is no more special teams, think of all the money we will have to play with to get some better talent.
                            Not the actual Man, Myth, Legend....Just a Giant fan since birth, I come in peace

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BMW View Post
                              How is this bad for us lol, we suck at kickoffs both ways usually.
                              Wilson leads the league in Return yards. What?
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X