Chip Kelly Hired as Eagles Head Coach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
    Kelly never had much talent at oregon really. He had one top 10 recruiting class.

Foles will be his QB. Vick is not a good fit for his system.

That offensive line with Jason Peters back will be much improved.

And there are rumors he will be going to a 3-4 defense, which could work, they have a lot of the pieces for it. Need a 1 gap nose, and maybe another outside backer. Dont know what would happen with Trent Cole, but he had a down year anyway.

I disagree that he didn't have talent at Oregon. Kelly was only recruiting speed at Oregon...that might not translate into the NFL because he had some smaller guys...but he hand picked speedy talent that would fit perfectly into his system. Some systems just don't translate into NFL studs....no different than Spurrier at Florida. But to say he didn't have talent is an understatement. He had talent for his system and didn't necessarily need the size speed guy for the NFL....just the speed guy.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
      I disagree that he didn't have talent at Oregon. Kelly was only recruiting speed at Oregon...that might not translate into the NFL because he had some smaller guys...but he hand picked speedy talent that would fit perfectly into his system. Some systems just don't translate into NFL studs....no different than Spurrier at Florida. But to say he didn't have talent is an understatement. He had talent for his system and didn't necessarily need the size speed guy for the NFL....just the speed guy.
      Eh? He didnt have a team that was faster than anyone else. He never had a top QB, never had a top HB. Nothing.

Comment

I think that Kelly will keep Foles, Foles seems to be a good fit for the system that he plays. And Kelly did see a lot of foles in college too so I'm sure that he has watched a good amount of tape on him. I think that the talent on the Eagles roster combined with their draft position puts them in a very good position to be an effective team next year. at least on paper..

Comment

Interesting article

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...fls-worst-ever

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
            Eh? He didnt have a team that was faster than anyone else. He never had a top QB, never had a top HB. Nothing.

The whole basis of Oregon was speed. DeAnthony Thomas might be the fastest guy in college. He never had a top QB...cause he needed an option guy. Never had a top HB?? LaMichael James was considered a heisman finalist snub.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty192 View Post
              The same was said of Pete Carroll when he joined Seattle coming from USC who is perennially a top 3 recruiting program if not #1 in the country.

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

Comment

Originally posted by Giantz4Life View Post
                The same was said of Pete Carroll when he joined Seattle coming from USC who is perennially a top 3 recruiting program if not #1 in the country.
                Chip ain't a defensive guy. Carroll also got lucky in getting Wilson. Guy looks like the real deal. Kelly will have Foles....

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
                  The whole basis of Oregon was speed. DeAnthony Thomas might be the fastest guy in college. He never had a top QB...cause he needed an option guy. Never had a top HB?? LaMichael James was considered a heisman finalist snub.
                  You're mistaking guys who became productive with guys who were top talents coming in.

James was the 12th ranked HB coming into college ball. And running a 4.4 isnt anything special either.

DeAnthony Thomas was one of like 4 5 star recruits that Chip had while at Oregon.

And option QBs can and often are very high recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty192 View Post
                    Chip ain't a defensive guy. Carroll also got lucky in getting Wilson. Guy looks like the real deal. Kelly will have Foles....
                    Carroll is a very unorthodox coach and I wouldn't say he was lucky to land Wilson. More like other NFL teams were foolish to let him slip so far. He looked past the one negative physical trait that scouts had dogged Wilson for and that is his height. Everything else was there in plain view from his playing at Wisconsin.

You're right that Chip is not a defensive guy, but that just means he will need the right defensive coordinator to be successful. Look at how much Gus Bradley has done for Pete Carroll.
                    Last edited by Giantz4Life; 01-16-2013, 05:41 PM.

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

Comment

If people think that all the eagles are going to do is run option reads, they are kidding themselves. Chip Kelly is a good coach because, like any good coach, he puts his players in the best possible scenario to succeed. While at New Hampshire, he chucked the ball fifty times a game. At Oregon, he ran it fifty times a game.

I'm more interested in seeing his defenses. I wonder what coordinators he will bring with him. It's not like we ever heard of Oregon coordinators even interviewing for other NCAA jobs. His defenses in Oregon never really played base 4-3 or 3-4, and he would usually have five - six defensive backs on the field at a time.

I think this is one of the worst possible situations for a new coach to walk into, especially when they have absolutely NO NFL experience. Although the Eagles were 4-12 last year, they still have the pieces to win the NFC East. Just because Kelly is a first year guy does not mean he wont be expected to win starting next year. If he struggles for two years, he will lose his job.

Comment

It's funny because everyone used to talk about how Reid always managed to out-coach Coughlin time and time again....now they have a new HC straight out of college with zero NFL experience and the consensus is that we're about to get owned by Philly even more so.

So what does it boil down to, is our coaching staff that awful in your eyes that we don't have any confidence facing anyone, or are you guys just saying Philly is a better team overall?

Personally I think this mass hysteria is pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantz4Life View Post
                          Carroll is a very unorthodox coach and I wouldn't say he was lucky to land Wilson. More like other NFL teams were foolish to let him slip so far. He looked past the one negative physical trait that scouts had dogged Wilson for and that is his height. Everything else was there in plain view from his playing at Wisconsin.

You're right that Chip is not a defensive guy, but that just means he will need the right defensive coordinator to be successful. Look at how much Gus Bradley has done for Pete Carroll.
                          I'd say he lucked out with a QB as good as Wilson for sure. They would have 100% gone with Flynn but Wilson turned out to be so good that they benched their expensive veteran FA future QB investment for him.

Comment

New Eagles coach

Eagles got their man, Oregonian "Chip."

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                              Easy: hit the QB hard no matter whether he has the ball or not... too bad PF is too pansy to do that.
                              i think thats the best way myself take away the options and smash the QB over and over until he cant walk

Comment

Eagles have some good pieces to work with its not like he is walking into a complete train wreck. They have to get a QB though and thats a huge deal. Thank god they didnt end up with Russel Wilson thats who they wanted but the hawks took him before they picked in the 3rd round

Comment

Working...
                                X