College Football Season 2017-2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football Season 2017-2018

Im itching for some football, so I figured I might as start a college football thread now just to have more to talk about.

im a big SEC guy so I guess I'll start there. It's Alabama's to lose. The only team that I think can challenge them is Auburn. They're oline is talented, they have a lot of young talent at receiver, they have one of the best running back tandems in the country in Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway, their Dline has a lot of talent even with the losses of Montravius Adams and Carl Lawson, they return 4 starting-caliber linebackers, and they have a shutdown corner in Carlton Davis and other solid players in their secondary although they have some depth concerns. What'll ultimately decide whether their contender or pretenders, however, is their transfer QB, Jarrett Stidham. He comes with a ton of hype and he really showed out at their Spring Game. We should find out if their the real deal week 2 vs Clemson.

A wildcard is Georgia, although I have doubts Jacob Eason is "the guy" and their oline lacks experienced talent and rely heavily on freshman. I think their a year or two away, but Kirby is a good coach and they may surprise some people. Oh yeah, I have to mention that Jim Chaney is their OC and I cannot stand him. Maybe it was due to a lack of talent on the OL and at WR, but their offense left a lot to be desired.

LSU, Florida, and Ole Miss should all be solid, but the first two don't seem to have the it guy at quarterback and I'm really high in Shea Patterson at Ole Miss, but I don't know if they'll have the necessary pieces around him and on the defensive side of the ball. A&M could be more than alright as they've got a Freshman QB in Kellen Mond coming in who could be very good, but it's still a big ? as he is a freshman and I don't love the rest of their roster. Tennessee might have a good QB this year, but Butch Jones is still a terrible coach and I don't see them making much noise.

Miss St and South Carolina have their quarterbacks, but I don't think the talent around them will make them noteworthy.

it should be a great year or College Football!

No one in the SEC can fox with the Cuse!

Said no one
    We all that we got!

Comment

Just like last year, the SEC will be overrated lol

Im jumping on Florida States bandwagon. Since Cuse are the Browns of college football, I gotta have my chips in on a team that at least has a shot.

In think Clemson lost too much to overcome.

Ohio State will be great as always. So will Michigan and Wisconsin.

And out west, USC is going to be up there along with Colorado.

Players Im excited to watch will be Saquon Barkley at Penn St, Derwin James at FSU, Bo Scarborough at Bama and the QB class of Darnold, Rudolph, Mayfield, Jackson, Allen, Rosen ect.

2 more months fellas
      Jerry Reese is burying this team in a premature grave

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
        Just like last year, the SEC will be overrated lol

Im jumping on Florida States bandwagon. Since Cuse are the Browns of college football, I gotta have my chips in on a team that at least has a shot.

In think Clemson lost too much to overcome.

Ohio State will be great as always. So will Michigan and Wisconsin.

And out west, USC is going to be up there along with Colorado.

Players Im excited to watch will be Saquon Barkley at Penn St, Derwin James at FSU, Bo Scarborough at Bama and the QB class of Darnold, Rudolph, Mayfield, Jackson, Allen, Rosen ect.

2 more months fellas
        I guess overrated isn't bad when you win something like 7 Titles in a row at one point by four different teams and like 8 out of 11years with two of those seeing Auburn and Bama lose in the final seconds of the Title Games. And also Bama losing to OSU in Playoff Semi one of those years..

Sure there are some dogs in that Conference but that's true of any of them. SEC has been the most consistent conference since very early 2000's. Weather many like it or not it's the truth. Many are haters. Sure other conferences are getting better with Clemson being in two Title Game and winning one and FSU winning one and being around Final 4 like Bama..
        Football has been very, very good to us.
        After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
        But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
        2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
        3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
        4-New York Giants!!!
        5-NE
        Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by Jmulroy99 View Post
          Im itching for some football, so I figured I might as start a college football thread now just to have more to talk about.

im a big SEC guy so I guess I'll start there. It's Alabama's to lose. The only team that I think can challenge them is Auburn. They're oline is talented, they have a lot of young talent at receiver, they have one of the best running back tandems in the country in Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway, their Dline has a lot of talent even with the losses of Montravius Adams and Carl Lawson, they return 4 starting-caliber linebackers, and they have a shutdown corner in Carlton Davis and other solid players in their secondary although they have some depth concerns. What'll ultimately decide whether their contender or pretenders, however, is their transfer QB, Jarrett Stidham. He comes with a ton of hype and he really showed out at their Spring Game. We should find out if their the real deal week 2 vs Clemson.

A wildcard is Georgia, although I have doubts Jacob Eason is "the guy" and their oline lacks experienced talent and rely heavily on freshman. I think their a year or two away, but Kirby is a good coach and they may surprise some people. Oh yeah, I have to mention that Jim Chaney is their OC and I cannot stand him. Maybe it was due to a lack of talent on the OL and at WR, but their offense left a lot to be desired.

LSU, Florida, and Ole Miss should all be solid, but the first two don't seem to have the it guy at quarterback and I'm really high in Shea Patterson at Ole Miss, but I don't know if they'll have the necessary pieces around him and on the defensive side of the ball. A&M could be more than alright as they've got a Freshman QB in Kellen Mond coming in who could be very good, but it's still a big ? as he is a freshman and I don't love the rest of their roster. Tennessee might have a good QB this year, but Butch Jones is still a terrible coach and I don't see them making much noise.

Miss St and South Carolina have their quarterbacks, but I don't think the talent around them will make them noteworthy.

it should be a great year or College Football!

I think their chance to win was stopping Clemson in final Seconds last year. Lost a lot of key players but will have good QBing for years to come. Weak spot has been what is usually the strong point for them the D. Clemson exposed that D in back to back years putting up video game numbers on them in both Title games even though they won one of them but if u remember the first year of BCS Ohio State ran all over them as well be putting up whopping numbers

I agree Auburn and new QB Stithum can be the one to unseat them this year
          After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back

4-New York Giants!!!
          5-NE

Comment

Just a few days out!

Having the Mcgregor vs Mayweather fight the week before Mt. Rushmore season ends was perfect and really sped time up.

Comment

My wife planned and booked a camping trip for Labor Day Weekend. Now I got to find a way to watch the Bama/FSU game lol

4-New York Giants!!!
              5-NE

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post
                My wife planned and booked a camping trip for Labor Day Weekend. Now I got to find a way to watch the Bama/FSU game lol
                I would suggest watching it from your phone on a stream, but you probably won't be having a signal. DVR that *****, ignore the rest of the world, and then watch it when you get home.
                We all that we got!

Comment

Originally posted by SG88 View Post

I would suggest watching it from your phone on a stream, but you probably won't be having a signal. DVR that *****, ignore the rest of the world, and then watch it when you get home.
                  That never works. Someone would tell me the score. It's possible I could stream it on my phone..

However we're now getting the remnants of Harvey here along AL/FL Coast. Rain bands coming over this far. Rained all day today so I could not work and forcast is for rain into Thursday. If that happens no way I can take off Fri-Sun to camp with all the work I would be behind on. She'll think I'm just making an excuse to stay home so I can watch the game, lol

4-New York Giants!!!
                  5-NE

Comment

You tell your wife to enjoy her camping trip.

That game could be the best game of the year.

Go Noles! :-)

Comment

You tell your wife to enjoy her camping trip.

That game could be the best game of the year.

Go Noles! :-)
                      Here's a key piece of info I left out. She turns 60 on Thursday the 7th so we always celebrate her birthday on Labor Day Weekend. But I didn't expect to be in the woods lol

Yea... Noles with a really good shot at winning Saturday. But that's why I love Saban. He knows he loses a ton of star players each year and this year is no different as they had a bunch of guys go pro and graduate. But he still always schedules a tough first game every year with legit shot to get beat right out of the gate
                      Recent past since 2008 they have played VTech twice, Penn State Back to back, Wisconsin, Michigan, Clemson, West Virginia, USC winning just about all of them in Blowout fashion

2018 Louisville and 2019 Duke. Talking to Oregon for possible future home and home

Many think Bama rolls Again this year. I say they should of closed out Clemson in those last Seconds last year. They will have tough time just winning the West this year I feel let alone another final 4 birth

And speaking of Final 4 yes they have been in all 3 but only have a 3-2 record and only won Title once in those three years. The two losses ( and even the one win ) Bamas supposed vaunted D has had video game numbers put up on them by Clemson & Ohio State all three times

4-New York Giants!!!
                      5-NE

Comment

Here's a key piece of info I left out. She turns 60 on Thursday the 7th so we always celebrate her birthday on Labor Day Weekend. But I didn't expect to be in the woods lol

Yea... Noles with a really good shot at winning Saturday. But that's why I love Saban. He knows he loses a ton of star players each year and this year is no different as they had a bunch of guys go pro and graduate. But he still always schedules a tough first game every year with legit shot to get beat right out of the gate
                        Recent past since 2008 they have played VTech twice, Penn State Back to back, Wisconsin, Michigan, Clemson, West Virginia, USC winning just about all of them in Blowout fashion

2018 Louisville and 2019 Duke. Talking to Oregon for possible future home and home

Many think Bama rolls Again this year. I say they should of closed out Clemson in those last Seconds last year. They will have tough time just winning the West this year I feel let alone another final 4 birth

And speaking of Final 4 yes they have been in all 3 but only have a 3-2 record and only won Title once in those three years. The two losses ( and even the one win ) Bamas supposed vaunted D has had video game numbers put up on them by Clemson & Ohio State all three times
                        OH spoiled Bama fans.... they only won the championship once in 3 years lol.

Try being a fan of Syracuse where if you have a winning record it's an accomplishment lol

Bama will be right there again in January.

Comment

OH spoiled Bama fans.... they only won the championship once in 3 years lol.

Try being a fan of Syracuse where if you have a winning record it's an accomplishment lol

Bama will be right there again in January.
                          I will agree it's been a fantastic run since he has been the Coach. But there have been many other runs by dynasty teams that people thought would never end. But like everything else all things eventually come to an end. And that will probably start when Saban moves on or retires to a degree

All teams have highs and lows. Prior to Saban there were some lean years where I think Auburn won like 7 Iron Bowls in a row. You'd have to go Back to Gene Stallings from 90-96 and Bear Bryant before that who retired in 82. So there were some big gaps in-between Dynasty years

I been living in Bama since 97 due to a job transfer originally and prior to that grew up in CT. There wasn't any team for UConn back then and when they started they were terrible and only had a few good seasons. I used to go to all the Yale games growing up but that is level way below what your used to watching, lol. When I got down here it was SEC and Auburn & Bama. Could not believe how Huge football was down here compared to up North..

Friday nights in the South pretty much everything shuts down for HS Football and it carries right into Saturdays. Which believe it or not us the bigger football day down here. Most if polled would take College over Pro any day of the week. So I was pretty neutral starting out just enjoying watching all the games each Saturday. But gradually with many friends being Bama fans I was won over LOL

4-New York Giants!!!
                          5-NE

Comment

I will agree it's been a fantastic run since he has been the Coach. But there have been many other runs by dynasty teams that people thought would never end. But like everything else all things eventually come to an end. And that will probably start when Saban moves on or retires to a degree

All teams have highs and lows. Prior to Saban there were some lean years where I think Auburn won like 7 Iron Bowls in a row. You'd have to go Back to Gene Stallings from 90-96 and Bear Bryant before that who retired in 82. So there were some big gaps in-between Dynasty years

I been living in Bama since 97 due to a job transfer originally and prior to that grew up in CT. There wasn't any team for UConn back then and when they started they were terrible and only had a few good seasons. I used to go to all the Yale games growing up but that is level way below what your used to watching, lol. When I got down here it was SEC and Auburn & Bama. Could not believe how Huge football was down here compared to up North..

Friday nights in the South pretty much everything shuts down for HS Football and it carries right into Saturdays. Which believe it or not us the bigger football day down here. Most if polled would take College over Pro any day of the week. So I was pretty neutral starting out just enjoying watching all the games each Saturday. But gradually with many friends being Bama fans I was won over LOL
                            Yup. Moved to Florida over a decade ago. Its all Florida Gators and Florida State Seminoles here. Miami is down and Georgia has its fans too. I never really cared for college much until I moved down here. I watched some but not like I do now. College is bigger than the NFL here. Much bigger.

Comment

Yup. Moved to Florida over a decade ago. Its all Florida Gators and Florida State Seminoles here. Miami is down and Georgia has its fans too. I never really cared for college much until I moved down here. I watched some but not like I do now. College is bigger than the NFL here. Much bigger.
                              It is over most of the South. We grew up and Saturday was a day we tolerated to get to Sunday. Down here the big day has always been Saturday and Sunday is tolerated lol. Don't get me wrong you have your TB, Dolphins, Carolina, Saints, Cowboys, Falcons fans down here. But trust me College fans are much crazier and get more excited then they do over pro. It's kinda like that to some degree with College BB fans vs Pro to some degree

4-New York Giants!!!
                              5-NE

Comment

Working...
                              X