Mara says Colin Kap will be on NFL Roster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SG88 View Post
    I know that some people aren't going to agree with what I am about to say, but that's fine. I still love and respect most of you as giants fans. As a fan of this team, I feel that he already ****ed this up with his previous comments, which were about fan backlash. If a fan is going to not come to games if he is signed, let their ***** stay home. There are plenty of others willing to buy those tickets. First of all, if fans start dictating front office decisions, the franchise will definitely be screwed in both the long term and short term. Secondly, Mara already dug himself a big hole by his previous statements. There's no getting out of it. Just don't even talk about Kaepernick anymore. Thirdly, the only people that seem to be distracted by this are either white, want to be white (Jason Whitlock for example), or people with a false sense of patriotism. The statements that Mr. Mara is saying now about Kaepernick simply should have been his initial statements.

I agree completely that teams should make all of their personnel decisions based on the players' talent only and if the fans don't like it, they can vote with their feet. You can't please everyone and attempting to do so usually leads to organizational failure.

I also believe (and I suspect you agree) that nearly all owners are too gutless to do so.

All that said, imo this has little to nothing to do with Kaepernick. If front offices actually did make decisions based only on the talent of the individual player, we'd still be talking about how Kaepernick is not signed.

He is simply not a good QB and never was. He was very, very fortunate to have a coach who designed a college system around him until it became clear for the 100th time that college systems don't sustain success in the NFL.

HIs inability to play from the pocket makes him a Manziel with experience but ultimately even less useful than the horrific McCown's of the NFL.

Comment

No one knows what his contract demands are. He hasn't said anything except for him wanting to play somewhere.
      Agree.

He also has not complained at all. I hear people complaining, but I haven't heard a peep of complaint from him directly.

Comment

I know that some people aren't going to agree with what I am about to say, but that's fine. I still love and respect most of you as giants fans. As a fan of this team, I feel that he already ****ed this up with his previous comments, which were about fan backlash. If a fan is going to not come to games if he is signed, let their ***** stay home. There are plenty of others willing to buy those tickets. First of all, if fans start dictating front office decisions, the franchise will definitely be screwed in both the long term and short term. Secondly, Mara already dug himself a big hole by his previous statements. There's no getting out of it. Just don't even talk about Kaepernick anymore. Thirdly, the only people that seem to be distracted by this are either white, want to be white (Jason Whitlock for example), or people with a false sense of patriotism. The statements that Mr. Mara is saying now about Kaepernick simply should have been his initial statements.
        On your first point, NFL ratings were down over 10% last year. Thats a pretty big drop off so I dont think Mara's previous comments were off. He was telling it like it is.
        I completely disagree with your third point. I can't turn on Espn without hearing an black analyst bring up the Kap situation. Jimbo brought up the boycott "stand with Kap"(seriously though, who thought of that name?). So its not just white fans. I think there are racist idiots on both sides but they are the minority.
        Most fans don't want to hear it. Its not about being white or black, its not about a false sense of patriotism. It about fans wanting to enjoy the game without it being political.
        Lets not forget the first few times Kap didn't kneel, he sat on the bench. It was only after fans started complaining he started to kneel. Then he wore socks depicting cops as pigs. Kap was trying to to stand up against the government and the police, fine, but he did so in a way that disrespected his country. Theres a big difference between the two.

Comment

Do you really think that the Kaepernick issue was the cause of a 10% drop in viewership ratings? That would surprise me frankly but if that's true, imo, the league is better off without those secondary sports fans. Aholes.

Comment

Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
            On your first point, NFL ratings were down over 10% last year. Thats a pretty big drop off so I dont think Mara's previous comments were off. He was telling it like it is.
            I completely disagree with your third point. I can't turn on Espn without hearing an black analyst bring up the Kap situation. Jimbo brought up the boycott "stand with Kap"(seriously though, who thought of that name?). So its not just white fans. I think there are racist idiots on both sides but they are the minority.
            Most fans don't want to hear it. Its not about being white or black, its not about a false sense of patriotism. It about fans wanting to enjoy the game without it being political.
            Lets not forget the first few times Kap didn't kneel, he sat on the bench. It was only after fans started complaining he started to kneel. Then he wore socks depicting cops as pigs. Kap was trying to to stand up against the government and the police, fine, but he did so in a way that disrespected his country. Theres a big difference between the two.
            The ratings were down because of various reasons. Here's an interesting article that discusses that:

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-r...o-slump-2017-2

Streaming services are a big competition for NFL broadcasts. I even watch several PPV events for free on facebook since they are streamed on there regularly. I might even cancel my NFL ticket subscription because the games are being shown for free anyways.

As far as my take on the people being extremely offended by Kaepernick, I would ask you to just go look at a Kaepernick post on social media (fb or twitter) and see the ethnicity of the people that have an issue with his protest and seem fine with him not having an NFL job. Shoot, even the ethnicity of the analysts. Let me be clear: When I say "offended by Kaepernick," I am talking about being offended by his stance. Protests are meant to make people uncomfortable and to put light to a subject matter. There is no right or wrong way, as long as it is peaceful and non-violent, which his protest was and continues to be. His subject matter, which is very clear, is a real problem IMO. I don't see it as him "disrespecting the country". That's the problem. That's the false sense of patriotism I am talking about. Bringing light to a particular problem here isn't disrespecting the country. Ignoring the problem or denying that it even exists, is disrespecting the country.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
              Do you really think that the Kaepernick issue was the cause of a 10% drop in viewership ratings? That would surprise me frankly but if that's true, imo, the league is better off without those secondary sports fans. Aholes.
              Here's another article from Forbes magazine discussing why the ratings are down. It alludes to the NFL simply being watered down, which I think is a strong reason as to why. It is simply on TV way too much and the commercials are endless. The article states "Maybe the NFL is simply human at this point. They have opted for more games to be shown, which drives up media revenues, but lowers the “event factor” that the NFL has enjoyed for so long."

For more on this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#4bf4ad004e8a
              sigpic

Comment

The ratings were down because of various reasons. Here's an interesting article that discusses that:

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-r...o-slump-2017-2

Streaming services are a big competition for NFL broadcasts. I even watch several PPV events for free on facebook since they are streamed on there regularly. I might even cancel my NFL ticket subscription because the games are being shown for free anyways.

As far as my take on the people being extremely offended by Kaepernick, I would ask you to just go look at a Kaepernick post on social media (fb or twitter) and see the ethnicity of the people that have an issue with his protest and seem fine with him not having an NFL job. Shoot, even the ethnicity of the analysts. Let me be clear: When I say "offended by Kaepernick," I am talking about being offended by his stance. Protests are meant to make people uncomfortable and to put light to a subject matter. There is no right or wrong way, as long as it is peaceful and non-violent, which his protest was and continues to be. His subject matter, which is very clear, is a real problem IMO. I don't see it as him "disrespecting the country". That's the problem. That's the false sense of patriotism I am talking about. Bringing light to a particular problem here isn't disrespecting the country. Ignoring the problem or denying that it even exists, is disrespecting the country.
                He picked a poor way to bring the issue to light. I would not be happy if the Giants signed him.
                Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                  Sure I think its having some affect. Some are probably racist, the rest are sick of hearing about it. Doesn't make those people *******s. Every time it comes on ESPN I change the channel because I want to hear about actual football.

Comment

Originally posted by speedman View Post

He picked a poor way to bring the issue to light. I would not be happy if the Giants signed him.
                    So what is a right way? My point is that there is no right or wrong way.
                    sigpic

Comment

He's definitely good enough to be a backup, I'd take him over Geno or Johnson in a heartbeat.

As far as a starter, I'm not sure, then again cutler is now a starter so yeaaa.....

I respect what he did, I don't see it as 'disrespecting the country or the police' just raising awareness towards an issue. And in the USA that's part of our freedom. Hate away I could care less
                      Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

So what is a right way? My point is that there is no right or wrong way.
                        To me you don't protest with the national anthem. It's a tribute to the military and the brave men and women that fought to protect this country. My uncle was killed in WW II at the age of 18. I say **** Kap.
                        Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

We all make choices.

Comment

Originally posted by speedman View Post

To me you don't protest with the national anthem. It's a tribute to the military and the brave men and women that fought to protect this country. My uncle was killed in WW II at the age of 18. I say **** Kap.
                            I'm a 20 year retired veteran and I disagree with you 100%. I also have a great uncle that died in WW2, another uncle that is a Viet Nam veteran, and yet another uncle that served in Desert Storm. I also interact with veterans weekly as I volunteer at both the VFW and the VA hospital in my area, and most of the ones that I interact with don't have an issue with Kaepernick, his protest, or the manner that he protested. I also have over 100 friends and/or former colleagues currently on active duty or reserves as either enlisted and officer. Most of them also don't have an issue. You're entitled to your opinion and I am not here to change your mind. I'm just making sure that fans on these boards don't see a false representation on how vets and active members of the military feel about this.
                            sigpic

Comment

Cutler and his situation are apples and oranges. Your post was just fine until you went that route. My whole beef with the Kaepernick situation is that the reasons that he isn't on a roster have nothing to do with football. Go look at the QBs signed this offseason and tell me how many of them are CLEARLY better than Kaepernick. I can think of a bunch that are worse.
                              He is a distraction. Has nothing to do with patriotism or lack there of. A lot of QB's were signed who were worse than Cutler too. So what? Those are back ups. CK is not what you want as a back up. Why would anyone sign him to be a back up who comes with all that baggage. All those distractions.
                              That would be a dumb move.
                              Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

He is a distraction. Has nothing to do with patriotism or lack there of. A lot of QB's were signed who were worse than Cutler too. So what? Those are back ups. CK is not what you want as a back up. Why would anyone sign him to be a back up who comes with all that baggage. All those distractions.
                                That would be a dumb move.
                                You don't get it. It is OK though. Players normally get picked up if the player can help the team win, regardless of the so called distraction they may cause. His reasons of not having a team have nothing to do with football.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X