New York Yankees 2018 Thread…

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SG88 View Post

Do you think he makes it to big club this season?
    i'm of the opinion that baseball players stay in the minors way too long. i hope they bring them all up and give them all a chance...at the very least bring them all to spring training and take a look at them all...see what cream can rise to the top. The Yanks have a great farm system. But what do i know?

Comment

Do you think he makes it to big club this season?
      I dont think so. Maybe, maybe a cup of coffee in September. I got a feeling we will go hunting in July though for a SP.
      http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

I dont think so. Maybe, maybe a cup of coffee in September. I got a feeling we will go hunting in July though for a SP.
        I agree that they are going to need another SP come the trade deadline. It most likely will cost them someone like Clint Frazier. It better not cost them Estevan Florial, who IMO is the superior prospect and a five tool kind of guy.
        “It drops deep as it does in my breath

I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death

Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined

I think of crime, when I’m in a New York state of mind.”

Nasir Jones

Comment

• Brian Cashman prepared to go with rookies at third and second if necessary.

First things first.

The Yankees still intend to get below the luxury-tax threshold in 2018, and there has been no indication that managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner, who has publicly spoken about it for years, will change his mind.

“We’re committed to getting under that tax,” general manager Brian Cashman has said more than a few times this offseason.

So with a little less than a month before pitchers and catchers report to Tampa for spring training, everything left on Cashman’s to-do list — adding another starting pitcher and bringing aboard a veteran infielder — should continue to be seen through that prism. Read more.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseb...jar-1.16275603

Comment

• Todd Frazier, 'Thumbs-Down Guy' meet at autograph signing.

All New York Mets fan Gary Dunaier did was show his disapproval for his crosstown rivals. Four months later, the "Thumbs-Down Guy" got to meet the New York Yankees' player who adopted his inverted digit as the team's rallying cry.

Dunaier surprised Todd Frazier on Saturday as they met each other for the first time at an autograph signing on Long Island. The free-agent third baseman greeted the 55-year-old fan with a hug. Read more.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ograph-signing

Comment

• The first New York Yankees spring training game is exactly one month from today (2/23).

I'm looking forward to that more than this Super Bowl match up between the cities of Philadelphia & Boston.

Comment

• Starting pitchers Yankees GM Brian Cashman could make a play for at the July trade deadline.

To appreciate the depth of the Yankees’ farm system, consider that last July they traded four players who at the time were on Baseball America’s list of Top 100 prospects. And still they have six more on Baseball America’s new Top 100, which was released Monday.

Not including Clint Frazier, by the way, who spent too much time in the big leagues last year to qualify for the prospect list.

All of which makes me wonder: at what point will Brian Cashman dip into that depth of young talent and make another big trade for a starting pitcher?

He passed on Gerrit Cole, apparently because he wasn’t willing to include any of his other top prospects with Frazier, and it would take a significantly bigger package to get either Michael Fulmer from the Tigers or Chris Archer from the Rays.

Meanwhile, if he finds a way to sign free agent Yu Darvish, or even Alex Cobb, it’s quite possible Cashman won’t be looking to trade any of his blue-chippers now or even next July. Read more.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.3772759

Comment

• Originally posted by BronxBomberBlue View Post
                  The first New York Yankees spring training game is exactly one month from today (2/23).

I'm looking forward to that more than this Super Bowl match up between the cities of Philadelphia & Boston.
                  I'm not even watching the Super Bowl this year. Forget that.
                  “It drops deep as it does in my breath

I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death

Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined

I think of crime, when I’m in a New York state of mind.”

Nasir Jones

Comment

I'm not even watching the Super Bowl this year. Forget that.

It's definitely going to be a tough watch for me. Hard to imagine not getting excited for either team, but that will be the case. No way could I root for either the Eagles or Cheatriots to win.

If only one of the two losing teams (Jags or Vikings) made it to the big show.

Comment

• Yanks could still make big free-agent move

Sources say New York's plan leaves $15 million more to spend

We know the Yankees want to keep their 2018 payroll below $197 million, in order to reset their luxury-tax obligations. They're currently looking at both pitchers and position players, one source said, shopping opportunistically for value, more so than need.

At the moment, the Yankees' payroll commitments add up to roughly $162 million, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts.

By that calculation, one might conclude that general manager Brian Cashman has $35 million left to spend.

That's not accurate.

Instead, sources say the Yankees' tentative plan allows for another $15 million in spending this offseason -- unless Cashman frees up additional payroll by trading reliever David Robertson or outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury.

Here's why: Under baseball's Collective Bargaining Agreement, the payroll calculation for the Competitive Balance Tax includes benefits, insurance and performance bonuses paid to players on the Major League roster. For the Yankees, that figure could be at least $10 million in 2018.

Moreover, the Yankees want to allocate another $10 million to spend at the non-waiver Trade Deadline and on callups during the season.

That leaves $15 million.

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-cou...ts/c-265302426

----

They could even structure a contract like Yu Darvish if they wanted to get only $15m this season, and spread the rest in other years.

Comment

• Great trade by Jeter here:

The Marlins continued their rebuilding process on Thursday, trading Silver Slugger Award-winning outfielder Christian Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for three of Milwaukee's top 14 prospects, according to MLB Pipeline, and four overall -- including outfielder Lewis Brinson.

The 23-year-old Brinson, who has 21 games of big league experience, is ranked by MLB Pipeline as the game's 13th-best prospect. Middle infielder Isan Diaz (Brewers' No. 6 prospect; No. 86 overall), outfielder Monte Harrison (Brewers' No. 14) and right-handed pitching prospsect Jordan Yamamoto are also headed to Miami.

Comment

• Orioles to play Manny Machado at SS, move Tim Beckham to 3B.

Manny Machado will play shortstop for the Baltimore Orioles this season after spending the majority of his career at third base.

Orioles manager Buck Showalter confirmed that Machado will switch positions Saturday during the team's FanFest.

"There could be some adjustments if we don't like the feel of it, but that's where we're going to head into it," Showalter said.

Tim Beckham, who has primarily played shortstop throughout his career, will swap positions with Machado and play third base, according to Showalter. Read more.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...tim-beckham-3b

Does this mean he'll rather play shortstop anywhere, over playing 3rd base in the Bronx?

Comment

• Machado isnt coming to the Bronx. He has already said he wants to play SS and not 3rd. We willl be ok without him. Hopefully Andujar pans out. Also they could always go Moustakas. Or go after Arenado in 2019.
                            Last edited by TheAnalyst; 01-28-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Stanton talks Jose Fernandez in first appearance as Yankee

Stanton, who was traded from the Marlins during Miami’s latest firesale, added that his former teammate, Jose Fernandez, predicted both of them would end up in The Bronx before the pitcher was killed in a boat crash in 2016.

“He said, ‘Hey, if this doesn’t work down here, I’m gonna be a free agent, and I’m gonna sign with the Yankees and you’re coming with me,’ ” Stanton said. “Well, now I’m here and I’m gonna take a little piece of him with me and bring it to New York. It’s great to be here.” Read more.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/28/stanto...nce-as-yankee/

Comment

• Gleyber Torres’ Yankees debut may be delayed even if he’'s ready.

Even if Gleyber Torres showed he was fully healthy after Tommy John surgery (to his non-throwing arm) and starred in spring training, the Yankees would have reason not to promote him before April 14.

That would take him beyond the 16-day mark of the season and mean Torres could not accumulate a year’s service in 2018. Thus, the Yanks would get essentially seven years of play out of Torres rather than six before he became eligible for free agency.

Kris Bryant was the majors’ No. 1 prospect going into 2015 and played great in spring for a Cubs team expecting to contend. Yet, Chicago kept him down until April 17 to get the seven-year advantage. Read more.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/27/why-gl...-if-hes-ready/

Comment

Working...
                                X