No announcement yet.

New York Yankees 2018 Thread…

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The way the weather forecast looks, they may not play again until Thursday.

Comment

• Originally posted by SG88 View Post
      Some of the comments are laughable. 4 games into the season and some already want the manager fired or that the team might not live up to the hype? Come on guys, you're a hell lot better than that. They split a 4 game series on the road against a team that always plays well at home. Thank goodness for the snow out. Some of you need a break. 158 more games to go.
      ​​​
      To be fair, I was saying they most likely won't live up to the hype before spring training.

A few reasons: I don't think Judge or Stanton will do what they did last year. I don't think CC will do what he did last Year. We might be relying on unproven talent way too much. I think last year we over shot our expectations and people are thinking we can do the same this year, and people are forgetting how good that Sawx rotation is when all healthy and how last year they had a down year at many positions. It's going to be very difficult to win the AL east

As for Boone, I already mentioned how much Girardi's influence had on games negatively. Now if Boone continues to use Betances in key situations or make questionable calls that back fire over and over again then I'll get worried about Boone.

Not there yet.
      http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Comment

Some of the comments are laughable. 4 games into the season and some already want the manager fired or that the team might not live up to the hype? Come on guys, you're a hell lot better than that. They split a 4 game series on the road against a team that always plays well at home. Thank goodness for the snow out. Some of you need a break. 158 more games to go.
        ​​​

Who's asking for Boone to be fired? I'm just expressing my opinion that intentionally walking a right handed batter (with a bum shoulder) against your right handed pitcher with a base open, so he can pitch to a hot left handed hitter against your right handed pitcher with the bases loaded (thanks to the intentional walk) was a dumb move. If you really didn't want Robertson to face Donaldson with two outs and you want to walk him, how about having Robertson throw a few pitches out of the strike zone first to see if he chases?

If Boone let Robertson face Donaldson with his brief history of success against Robertson with two home runs, and he got a base hit there or even another home run, I wouldn't be criticizing Boone today, because I would rather have taken my chances with Donaldson, than with Smoak.

Girardi was called "Binder Joe" plenty of times here. Well, you may now have "Binder on steroids" with Aaron Boone. Of course I wish him the best of luck because he is our manager now, but his inexperience and his dependence on the analytics showed yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by BronxBomberBlue View Post

Who's asking for Boone to be fired? I'm just expressing my opinion that intentionally walking a right handed batter (with a bum shoulder) against your right handed pitcher with a base open, so he can pitch to a hot left handed hitter against your right handed pitcher with the bases loaded (thanks to the intentional walk) was a dumb move. If you really didn't want Robertson to face Donaldson with two outs and you want to walk him, how about having Robertson throw a few pitches out of the strike zone first to see if he chases?

If Boone let Robertson face Donaldson with his brief history of success against Robertson with two home runs, and he got a base hit there or even another home run, I wouldn't be criticizing Boone today, because I would rather have taken my chances with Donaldson, than with Smoak.

Girardi was called "Binder Joe" plenty of times here. Well, you may now have "Binder on steroids" with Aaron Boone. Of course I wish him the best of luck because he is our manager now, but his inexperience and his dependence on the analytics showed yesterday.
          Spot on.

Binder Boone

You can't just live in a computer program and rely on analytics. You have to have a feel for the game. I hope Boone figures that out to before it's too late, but remember some of the things Cashman was saying when we were looking for a new manager? He basically wanted a computer puppet.

I wonder if Cash sets the lineups...

This managerial ride will either go really good or really bad, there is no in between. We have to hope the players play to their potentials because I don't see Boone outcoaching many. Maybe Cora lol

I think we just saw the really bad part the past 2 games.

They need to bounce back.

Comment

The way the weather forecast looks, they may not play again until Thursday.
            I do not miss the snow one bit. It is one of the reasons why I will never move back to Syracuse.
            “It drops deep as it does in my breath

I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death

Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined

I think of crime, when I’m in a New York state of mind.”

Nasir Jones

Comment

I was not talking about you. I was talking about Yankees fans in general. Go to the YES boards and see some of their comments. Shoot, go to facebook and read their nonsensr. Sorry for not being clear. I do agree that Boone made a pretty bad blunder relying too much one stats. Even David Cone was like "Smoak is not the same player that he used to be, so the stats were out of date." Anyways, we have a very long way to go. Hopefully, in July we will be just laughing at this loss instead of dwelling on it.
              “It drops deep as it does in my breath

I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death

Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined

I think of crime, when I’m in a New York state of mind.”

Nasir Jones

Comment

I was not talking about you. I was talking about Yankees fans in general. Go to the YES boards and see some of their comments. Shoot, go to facebook and read their nonsensr. Sorry for not being clear. I do agree that Boone made a pretty bad blunder relying too much one stats. Even David Cone was like "Smoak is not the same player that he used to be, so the stats were out of date." Anyways, we have a very long way to go. Hopefully, in July we will be just laughing at this loss instead of dwelling on it.

+1

Originally posted by SG88 View Post

I do not miss the snow one bit. It is one of the reasons why I will never move back to Syracuse.

+1

Comment

We all can only hope.

Now if we can get this bad taste out of our mouths sooner rather than later, some more baseball would be nice.

This series should have been in St Pete.

Comment

I for one hate the pure "binder" approach. As I said earlier it takes away current information like Donaldson's bum shoulder and smoak's streak, and leads to some awfully stupid decisions .it's also dry and dull. Some of these teams and manaheds have over played and distorted the "money ball" theme, trying to look smart and gain an edge I guess. Again I just don't see the rationale behind replacing "binder" Joe with "binder" Aaron, when the binders dictate the same strategy. Sucks that we finally got girardi away from the strict binder approach and we're within an out or two of going to the world series, only to be replaced by that same binder .

Comment

• Originally posted by William View Post
                      I for one hate the pure "binder" approach. As I said earlier it takes away current information like Donaldson's bum shoulder and smoak's streak, and leads to some awfully stupid decisions .it's also dry and dull. Some of these teams and manaheds have over played and distorted the "money ball" theme, trying to look smart and gain an edge I guess. Again I just don't see the rationale behind replacing "binder" Joe with "binder" Aaron, when the binders dictate the same strategy. Sucks that we finally got girardi away from the strict binder approach and we're within an out or two of going to the world series, only to be replaced by that same binder .

+1

Only difference is, Girardi supposedly banged heads with the analytics guys, which is why he was let go. He didn't want to start Chris Carter for all those games, not to mention putting Tyler Clippard into so many games.

That and his $4,000,000 a year salary, that was due for a raise after almost getting to the World Series last year.

Comment

• I dont understand why they arent set up in Tampa for this early April series. Bad scheduling by MLB.

Comment

• Not only did the snow postpone the Yankees’ home opener, it also made the series against the Rays a bit tougher.

Instead of facing Austin Pruitt, who has started just eight games in the majors and isn’t even in the Rays’ rotation, the Yankees will have to go up against Chris Archer on Tuesday and Blake Snell on Wednesday.

They’re Tampa Bay’s top two starters in an otherwise beaten-up rotation that was already down to four starters before ex-Yankee Nathan Eovaldi was lost to another elbow surgery.

Aaron Boone said Tampa Bay manager Kevin Cash called him Monday to give him the update.

Boone said he also thought about bumping Jordan Montgomery from Tuesday’s start and replacing him with Luis Severino, but opted not to do it after talking with pitching coach Larry Rothschild.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/02/the-sn...hing-matchups/

-----

Im not sure what Boone does to be honest. Feels like he is basically what our OC will be under Shurmur. Just get the boys as ready as possible to roll out Cashmans game plan. Very scary.
                          Last edited by TheAnalyst; 04-02-2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• Add Ben Heller to the injury list. Elbow spurs. 10 day DL.

Also, read this analysis:

"Four outs away from a victory, Robertson loaded the bases in the eighth inning via an intentional walk to Josh Donaldson and then surrendered a heart-breaking grand slam to Justin Smoak to seal the defeat. That was Smoak’s second career grand slam, and the other came on August 8, 2015 against… the Yankees.

The inevitable question is whether Robertson should have simply pitched to Donaldson in that situation. While there is certainly a ton of statistical and non-statistical factors to consider with the matchup, here’s one pair of numbers to think about:
                            1. The small sample-size data — Smoak was 0-for-5 with four strikeouts in his career vs Robertson while Donaldson was 3-for-8 with two homers — suggested that giving Donaldson a free pass to face Smoak was a good option.
                            2. But the large sample-size numbers — Smoak’s 31 homers vs. right-handers last season were the third-most by a lefty against a righty in the majors — screamed that pitching to Donaldson was a better choice."

Comment

• So the Sawx open the season with 9 games vs the worst 2 teams in baseball? The 2 bad Florida teams? lol

Ok.

In the meantime, here is something to watch since the Yanks are on a Snow day.

We went from 80% Binder to 100% Binder.

Comment

• Looks like today will be another cancelled game.

Comment

Working...
                                X