No announcement yet.

New York Yankees 2018 Thread…

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ORLANDO, Fla. -- Just as the fans did all year long at Yankee Stadium, the voters were prepared to "All Rise." The verdict is in, and it was unanimous: Aaron Judge has been named the 2017 winner of the American League's Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year Award.

Named on all 30 ballots cast by members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America, the hulking 25-year-old outfielder became the 22nd unanimous Rookie of the Year in Major League history, coming off a season in which Judge shattered Mark McGwire's 30-year-old record by belting a league-leading 52 home runs in his first full campaign. Read more.

http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/articl...picId=27118390
    sigpic

Comment

• Could Beltran be a fit as the Yankees’ next manager? "At some point in my career, I would love to have the opportunity to manage ... The Yankees are a team that anyone would love to put on that uniform and manage that ballclub." http://m.mlb.com/news/article/261716526/carlos-beltran-could-fit-as-yankees-manager/ …
      11:40 AM - Nov 13, 2017

Very interesting with the rehiring of the experienced Rothschild, you could believe that means they will go completely green for the manager spot.
      Life is like a Giants game, you never know what you are going to get.

Comment

• MLB trade rumors: Marlins' Derek Jeter shipping Giancarlo Stanton to Red Sox?

Derek Jeter's first big move as Miami Marlins owner could be to stick it to his old franchise.

As every Major League Baseball general manager gets together in Orlando, Florida this week, the status of Giancarlo Stanton is the hottest topic. With the Marlins looking to clear salary and rebuild, baseball's best slugger is likely the first domino to fall this offseason.

When executives and media touched down over the weekend, the hottest rumor in the sport involved Jeter and an old Yankees rival--the Boston Red Sox.

According to a report from the Miami Herald--and backed up by The Boston Herald--the Marlins and Red Sox have had discussions about a deal that would send Stanton's massive power and contract to the defending AL East champions.

Giancarlo Stanton trade talks between the Red Sox and the Marlins "may be heating up," according to a report in Saturday's Miami Herald. "They're definitely in play," said the major-league source about the Red Sox, according to the newspaper.

Given the Red Sox' need for at least one more slugger, it would amount to professional malpractice for Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski not to perform due diligence for the Red Sox and explore the trade fully.

Stanton, 28, could join a Red Sox team that won 93 games and captured the AL East over the Yankees.

Despite Boston's success, power was a problem for an offense that too often went games without hitting the ball over the wall. Adding Stanton and his 59 homers (many of which came in a pitcher's park) would boost the Red Sox attack.

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

This would be bad news for the Yankees unless they are forced to give up MLB talent. IF they are just getting him to take a salary of of Jeters hands, the Bosox will be once again the lead dog.
        Last edited by TheAnalyst; 11-14-2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Bryan Hoch @BryanHoch
          Brian Cashman said that the Yankees will probably have Chad Green come to camp as a starter, with the bullpen as a fallback.
          4:25 PM - Nov 14, 2017

Bit of a shocker...

Comment

• https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/appa...t-was-strange/

Interesting....

Jordan Montgomery did have a very good year.

Comment

• Though many Yankees fans may be hopeful that the team can find a way to shed some of Jacoby Ellsbury‘s contract this winter, Ken Davidoff of the New York Post reportsthat there’s been no traction to this point on a potential deal. In fact, GM Brian Cashman tells Davidoff that he hasn’t so much as even broached the subject of Ellsbury’s no-trade clause with agent Scott Boras. “They have the full no-trade for a reason and I would walk through that process with the highest level of communication and respect because of it,” says Cashman. In addition to that full no-trade provision, Ellsbury is guaranteed more than $65MM over the life of the next three seasons, meaning the Yankees would have to pay down a massive amount of that remaining salary in order to facilitate a deal.

Here's an ellsbury update from MLB trade rumors.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                Could Beltran be a fit as the Yankees’ next manager? "At some point in my career, I would love to have the opportunity to manage ... The Yankees are a team that anyone would love to put on that uniform and manage that ballclub." http://m.mlb.com/news/article/261716526/carlos-beltran-could-fit-as-yankees-manager/ …
                11:40 AM - Nov 13, 2017

Very interesting with the rehiring of the experienced Rothschild, you could believe that means they will go completely green for the manager spot.
                Im about a week or two late but I heard Flaherty and Cones name being mentioned.

Comment

• Yankees Announcer Says His Inside Source Claims Aaron Judge Won MVP

I hope Michael Kay's source is right.

Hold on to your hats, Yankees fans. If we believe one of our most recognizable voices, we've got an upset coming Thursday

On his NYC radio show today, long-time Yankees play-by-play guy Michael Kay claimed he received a text from a "credible source" that Aaron Judge has already won the MVP voting, which will be announced Thursday night. Read more.

http://www.12up.com/posts/5806810-ya...-judge-won-mvp

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BronxBomberBlue View Post
                    Yankees Announcer Says His Inside Source Claims Aaron Judge Won MVP

Hold on to your hats, Yankees fans. If we believe one of our most recognizable voices, we've got an upset coming Thursday

On his NYC radio show today, long-time Yankees play-by-play guy Michael Kay claimed he received a text from a "credible source" that Aaron Judge has already won the MVP voting, which will be announced Thursday night. Read more.

While I would vote for Judge (biased of course), I just get a feeling that everyone feels Altuve is the MVP for some reason. Not to take anything away from Altuve as he had a great year, but Judge led him in HRs, RBIs, OBP, SLG, OPS, BBs, OPS+ all by a wide margin. Judge also was a Gold Glove finalist. Altuve led Judge in BA and Steals and for some reason not considered a GG finalist (but Pedroia was?). The MVP is supposed to be for an entire season, so the slump is included with the amazing April-May-June-September for Judge. I understand the Ks and how people view it as a negative, but when you have 127 walks it really isnt as big an issue. Strikeouts are better than double plays, and just as bad as pop outs and ground outs that dont advance a base runner. Then you take into consideration, Judge was the reason the Yankees got where they were, 1 game from the WS. The AStros would have won the AL West even if Altuve wasnt on the team.

As I said, I would vote Judge, but from everything I see on the TV and internet from analysts, its Altuve in the lead.

If he wins the MVP, it would be amazing. The haters would blow the internet up! Im not feeling that he will though unfortunately.

He 100% for sure was our MVP though. Just wish he didnt do the darn HR derby because I feel like that screwed him up during that slump. Imagine if he was even average in that slump? He would have hit over .300 and 60+ HRs.

Comment

• You.... Just..... Cant.....

Yankees' Hal Steinbrenner would have fired Joe Girardi even if he won World Series

Hal Steinbrenner apparently had his heart set on finding a new manager no matter what

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/y...-world-series/

Comment

• Steinbrenner: Next prospect wave at doorstep

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com | @BryanHoch | 12:37 PM ET
                        +
                        3 COMMENTS

ORLANDO, Fla. -- It was one year ago this month that Yankees managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner said that his expectation was for Aaron Judge to become the starting right fielder in The Bronx, a plan that worked out exceptionally well for all parties involved.

As Judge vies to become just the third player to win the American League Rookie of the Year Award and the AL Most Valuable Player Award in the same season, Steinbrenner departed the Owners Meetings excited about the next wave of prospects rising through the Yankees' chain, many of whom could make an impact as soon as the upcoming season.

Hot Stove Tracker

"I really think we've turned the corner here," Steinbrenner said. "Part of it was by not trading away the Judges and the [Greg] Birds and the [Gary] Sanchezes of the world, and the [Luis] Severinos year after year when people were asking for them, being patient with the system, getting some new leadership a couple of years ago in player development. I think we're on the right track."

Steinbrenner specifically mentioned infielder Gleyber Torres, the game's No. 1 overall prospect according to MLB Pipeline, as one of his reasons for optimism heading into 2018. He also sees bright days ahead for right-hander Chance Adams, the Yanks' No. 2 prospect, and infielder Miguel Andujar, the Yanks' No. 5 prospect.

"One of the possibilities in my mind somewhere in the infield is Andujar; he had a really good August in [Triple-A] Scranton offensively, and even defensively, [he was] much improved," Steinbrenner said. "And we're going to have Chance Adams at some point, I hope. Domingo German is doing well.

"Arizona Fall League is wrapping up, Justus Sheffield did well, so did Albert Abreu, so we'll see. We've got guys at Double-A that are going to move quickly to Triple-A, we've got guys at Triple-A that may need a month or two and they'll be ready."

Steinbrenner said that the emergence of the "Baby Bombers" should permit the club to field a team with a payroll below $197 million in 2018, thus resetting their luxury tax penalty rate in the event they pursue big-ticket players in the 2018-19 offseason.

"I've been saying, you can have a world championship-caliber team and not have a $200-plus million payroll," Steinbrenner said. "We're finally getting to a point where that's coming true for us. We've got a lot of good young players on our team, made it to Game 7 of the ALCS -- I wish we had made it further, of course. We've got a lot of good ones coming."

Comment

• Originally posted by BronxBomberBlue View Post
                          Yankees Announcer Says His Inside Source Claims Aaron Judge Won MVP

Nice source, Kay!

sigpic

Comment

• There is a clear bias in baseball against the Yankees. You cant tell me that Altuve was that much better than Judge this season. Judge barely won 2nd in the MVP over Jose Ramirez... What a joke. Only 2 first place votes? What am I missing? I would have been fine if Altuve won by a couple votes, but he won by nearly 150 votes? Altuve got 27 1st place votes? Come on...

Just led Altuve in 8 of 11 categories offensively, and was a GG finalist while Altuve was not. I mean, Altuve only had 81 RBIs hitting 3rd on a great lineup.

I expected much more close than that.

Comment

• The #1 Prospect in all of baseball Gleyber Torres expected to be 100% ready to roll for spring training. If the Yankees shuffle their cards right he could be called up very early in 2018. Super excited about this kid. I think he will playing quite a bit at 2nd and 3rd base in the Bronx this season.

Comment

• Just saying.... They didnt use advanced metrics either....

Comment

Working...
                                X