Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

replace ball and strike calls with technology?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replace ball and strike calls with technology?

the inconsistency of balls and strike calls is harmful to the game. we have the technology to automate this aspect and make it better ... we get clear, instant replay of every pitch. so why bother letting human error and judgement enter into it? why not at least automate this part of the game?

thoughts....

Never........just no....ever. Let the umpires be assessed based on their accuracy, but no.

Comment

Lets replace the players with robots also.
      "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post
        Lets replace the players with robots also.
        See, this statement makes no sense. I mean that in a respectful manner.

If we are going to replay the heck out of swipe tags and over slides and bang bang 1st base calls, we might as well get an electronic ball/strike zone. Im all for it. The ump can still be there, but it is completely unfair when there is a bias. I remember years ago when Jon Lester was on the Red Sox and he got strikes called a foot off the plate. All the time. It was nearly impossible for a hitter to get to it and make legit contact because then he would bust you in. Aaron Judge right now gets strikes called on him below his knee caps. Its ridiculous. https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/aaro...e-strike-zone/ , Aaron Judge can not have the same low strike zone that a Jose Altuve has, yet he does.

I am all for the automated K zone. These umps are terrible at their jobs. And sometimes it does benefit the Yankees too so not just being a homer, but more a baseball fan. Its awful. The technology is there to light up a strike call when the ball passes over the plate and at a certain, adjustable height. Too many games are won and lost on bad calls.

This wouldnt add any extra time to any game. In fact, it would speed it up more likely, or at least make it more action packed.

Last edited by TheAnalyst; 05-20-2018, 09:35 AM.
        http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

See, this statement makes no sense. I mean that in a respectful manner.

If we are going to replay the heck out of swipe tags and over slides and bang bang 1st base calls, we might as well get an electronic ball/strike zone. Im all for it. The ump can still be there, but it is completely unfair when there is a bias. I remember years ago when Jon Lester was on the Red Sox and he got strikes called a foot off the plate. All the time. It was nearly impossible for a hitter to get to it and make legit contact because then he would bust you in. Aaron Judge right now gets strikes called on him below his knee caps. Its ridiculous. https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/aaro...e-strike-zone/ , Aaron Judge can not have the same low strike zone that a Jose Altuve has, yet he does.

I am all for the automated K zone. These umps are terrible at their jobs. And sometimes it does benefit the Yankees too so not just being a homer, but more a baseball fan. Its awful. The technology is there to light up a strike call when the ball passes over the plate and at a certain, adjustable height. Too many games are won and lost on bad calls.

This wouldnt add any extra time to any game. In fact, it would speed it up more likely, or at least make it more action packed.
          IMO: I like the fact each Umpire has a slightly different view of the strike zone . It is perception. I am a big proponent of going up to the plate and making them swing the bat. If the ump feels you should have swung than I agree with him .

I am also in the camp Strike 1 Strike 2 Foul1 Foul 2 Foul 3 your out. This new thing fouling pitches on purpose to get the pitcher out of the game should go away.

IMO: the more technology that is inserted into any sport . Takes the human element out of it . There needs to be some margin for error. That is what makes us human. it has been in every game forever and should remain. Now does my post make sense.
          "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

IMO: I like the fact each Umpire has a slightly different view of the strike zone . It is perception. I am a big proponent of going up to the plate and making them swing the bat. If the ump feels you should have swung than I agree with him .

I am also in the camp Strike 1 Strike 2 Foul1 Foul 2 Foul 3 your out. This new thing fouling pitches on purpose to get the pitcher out of the game should go away.

IMO: the more technology that is inserted into any sport . Takes the human element out of it . There needs to be some margin for error. That is what makes us human. it has been in every game forever and should remain. Now does my post make sense.
            Im ok if the umps were consistent, which they clearly are not. It could be a strike one time, and the next time be a ball. And it wont make the batter swing when they call it a ball when it was clearly a strike.

I get what you mean when you say they should have the human element. The way the games are going though, it is more important to have the right call rather than have the ump make a human error. Id rather it that way too. I always feel like the Yankees pitchers get squeezed way more than the opponent over a coarse of a given game, so maybe Im biased a bit.

As for the striking out on foul balls, no way. a 12-15 pitch at bat is awesome to watch. That is more part of the game than umps calling balls and strikes wrong to include the human error.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Umpires will have their own view of their own strike zone. They can put up the digital strike zone on TV all they want. lol
              Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 05-28-2018, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by William View Post
                the inconsistency of balls and strike calls is harmful to the game. we have the technology to automate this aspect and make it better ... we get clear, instant replay of every pitch. so why bother letting human error and judgement enter into it? why not at least automate this part of the game?

thoughts....
                Yep I agree the tech has existed for 10 years already its ridiculous its not used

Comment

Judges strike zone is below the shins and above the nips. This alone should make Yankee fans want an auto K zone.

Comment

Working...
                  X