Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kingcap88 View Post
    +100

People are entitled to hold whatever personal views they want, but when those views become public, intentionally or unintentionally, there are consequences.
    Then they're not entitled to their personal views?

Comment

• Originally posted by STAR View Post
      You want to legislate speech? That goofier than the nonsense that came out of Sterling.
      Impossible to filter what comes from the mouth of those you disagree with, or in this case ignorant (Don), nor should you.
      I am entitled to my opinion. I still stand by my belief that racism, whether it comes out of your mouth or by your actions, should be illegal. People say dumb **** all of the time, especially to athletes. I saw our own giants fans throwing slurs at tuck just because he left the team. I won't go into what those names were, but you get the point. A simple "I disagree with you" would have been just fine instead of trying to be funny.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by penguinfarmer View Post
        Yes, they are. People are entitled to their views, whether it's perceived as negative or positive or neutral by the public eye.

Folks, the morale of this Donald Sterling story here is going to be the classic "Sometimes, you just need to keep things to yourself." especially for the views that are perceived as negative.

If he just hung up the phone or left his girlfriend before the conversation went deep, he wouldn't have been in this situation.

Same for Will Hill, just simply back away from the weed, PEDs, etc.. while you know you're playing in the NFL and subjected to testing. Don't get put on the map for the world to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
          Yes, they are. People are entitled to their views, whether it's perceived as negative or positive or neutral by the public eye.

Folks, the morale of this Donald Sterling story here is going to be the classic "Sometimes, you just need to keep things to yourself." especially for the views that are perceived as negative.

If he just hung up the phone or left his girlfriend before the conversation went deep, he wouldn't have been in this situation.

Same for Will Hill, just simply back away from the weed, PEDs, etc.. while you know you're playing in the NFL and subjected to testing. Don't get put on the map for the world to see.
          Your business is your business, until it becomes someone else's business. Loose lips sinks ships. Seriously, the league should have dealt with this guy years ago. It goes both ways. Former Knick and hornet Larry Johnson said probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard when it comes to basketball players. You should go check it out.
          sigpic

Comment

• That was my point. As ignorant and deplorable as his opinion is, he is entitled to it without reprimand unless it becomes a device that hampers others in the field.

To say he is entitled to his opinion only to have consequences as quoted above is an oxymoron.

All may be moot anyway. I think it's impossible to "take his franchise away from him", but that may happen organically as he loses fans and players, both black and white. He's already lost sponsors.

Comment

• Originally posted by sharick88 View Post
              Seriously, the league should have dealt with this guy years ago.
              lol and the MLB let all those players back 10-15 years ago get juiced and knocked all those home run numbers that they otherwise couldn't have reached. No one is perfect, not even modern day professional sports leagues. They all have a history.

Comment

Your business is your business, until it becomes someone else's business. Loose lips sinks ships. Seriously, the league should have dealt with this guy years ago.
                The NBA consists of 30 owners, Sterling included. The commissioner himself is an executive elected by 30 owners. They can't just seize the assets of one of their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
                  lol and the MLB let all those players back 10-15 years ago get juiced and knocked all those home run numbers that they otherwise couldn't have reached. No one is perfect, not even modern day professional sports leagues. They all have a history.
                  Baseball is a trip. No. One was complaining when those home run races were going. Canseco blows them up and then everyone has a high moral compass. That's why to me, bonds and Clemens are hall of fame players. I can't wait till bud selig's hypocritical *** is gone
                  sigpic

Comment

The NBA consists of 30 owners, Sterling included. The commissioner himself is an executive elected by 30 owners. They can't just seize the assets of one of their own.
                    But they can vote him out. Legal experts on both espn and fox say that sterling would be fighting a losing battle if he tried to. He should just sell the team, get his money, and then disappear like a fart in the wind. It is all up to the owners now. 13 have come out and supported the comissioner's decision. Sterling is a done deal IMO.
                    sigpic

Comment

Except his comments weren't made in the work place. I'm sure more and more side stories from former Clippers will surface which adds to his racist character, but the comments made that spurned this punishment did occur behind closed doors. It just so happened that there was a recording within those doors.
                      I didn't say his comments were made in the workplace. II was just making a comment regarding another post.
                      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

not when its to the determinant of others involved

NY GIANTS ... NY METS ... UNC TAR HEELS ... CHICAGO BULLS

Originally posted by Generation Eli
                        1 and done, and its not even close

Packers 30
                        Giants 13

Comment

But they can vote him out. Legal experts on both espn and fox say that sterling would be fighting a losing battle if he tried to. He should just sell the team, get his money, and then disappear like a fart in the wind. It is all up to the owners now. 13 have come out and supported the comissioner's decision. Sterling is a done deal IMO.
                          There's a big difference from exclusion and the forcing of his own business decisions as suggested in the OP. He can simply take the Clippers elsewhere. Obviously, not prudent or practical on his part, but the point remains his ownership of the Clippers is still in his hands as it should be. Why shouldn't an owner support a suspension and fine? Mark Cuban himself publicly stated you can't make any business decisions for him. Doesn't mean he's against reprimand of a lower degree.

Comment

I am entitled to my opinion. I still stand by my belief that racism, whether it comes out of your mouth or by your actions, should be illegal. People say dumb **** all of the time, especially to athletes. I saw our own giants fans throwing slurs at tuck just because he left the team. I won't go into what those names were, but you get the point. A simple "I disagree with you" would have been just fine instead of trying to be funny.
                            I can assure you, no humor was implied in my post. You're right in that you are entitled to your opinion, just as Don Sterling is entitled to his, no matter how off the wall or disgusting he is on this matter. I see this at work daily sharick, we differ on this subject with some there, I refuse to let a few knuckleheads and their opinions diss an entire race, I'm sure we agree here.
                            However I'd never quiet their voices, ever. If people were to try to impose this mindset on our society, there would be serious consequences for that as well sharick.

Didn't see or read anything derogatory on Tuck, if so, that sucks. Always like him.
                            Last edited by STAR; 04-29-2014, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Everyone is entitled to their personal views. But that doesn't mean we live in a consequence free society where a person can express their views, especially extremely controversial views, without there being some push back. Sterling isn't going to be arrested, finger-printed and put on trial for having his views, which means he's entitled to have them. But Sterling's views have cast a negative light on not only himself but his team and the entire league. So, there were consequences to his actions. Unfortunately, he's expressed these views for years, but the NBA chose to turn a blind eye for whatever reason.

Had this tape not surfaced and blown up the way it did Sterling would be sitting courtside at the Clippers game tonight. And if the reports that are surfacing that Sterling knew he was being recorded are true then he knew he was taking a risk making the statements he did and having them taped. But whether he knew he was being recorded or not, when you're in a position of power you have to be careful about expressing controversial views because they will come back to bite you.
                              Last edited by kingcap88; 04-29-2014, 08:40 PM.
                              One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

• Sharick.......Intolerance of the intolerant is also intolerant. People can be jerks as long as they dont harm a persons safety or their property because of prejudice, but you cant arrest or fine people for hurting someones feelings.

The damage to the comedy industry alone would be devastating.

Comment

Working...
                                X