Donald Sterling Banned For Life!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    So I'll leave it at this. This is not the first documented evidence of Sterling's feelings toward minorities. And I think that's why this is gaining even more traction.
    Ah, ok.
    WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

On one hand, I don't think his team should be taken from him. I think in a capitalist society, the consumer has the option to punish him or give him some kind of reprieve if they're truly disgusted.

But on the other hand, sport franchises are a different animal. If a hardware store owner was caught saying something like this, he'd likely feel the wrath in the way of loss of profit. However, Sports franchises have a hold on people's hearts rather than their logic. People are still going to pour money into this man's franchise.

I saw an ironic fan sign from a clippers fan at one of the games that said "I brought a black person to the game" (and his friend had a sign that said "Black Guy"). While that may bother Sterling, he's still getting that person's money.

So I wouldn't mind if the NBA took the necessary measures to remove him from his position, since ultimately they have to deal with the PR perspective of it all.
      I agree with your points NTE, but now if your a fan, would you spend money on tickets that $$$ is lining his pockets ??? The players will ultimately get paid, yet I think this is even more difficult for Clipper fans. In addition, all the sponsors and TV / Cable commercial spot buyers are clearly not going to accept any of this. My point is this will negatively affect the entire franchise on every level possible. I think he is going to have to sell whether he wants to or not because of the can of worms he has opened, imo.

The new commish has his first very difficult and controversial decision to make.
      1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueBoricua View Post
        I agree with your points NTE, but now if your a fan, would you spend money on tickets that $$$ is lining his pockets ??? The players will ultimately get paid, yet I think this is even more difficult for Clipper fans. In addition, all the sponsors and TV / Cable commercial spot buyers are clearly not going to accept any of this. My point is this will negatively affect the entire franchise on every level possible. I think he is going to have to sell whether he wants to or not because of the can of worms he has opened, imo.

The new commish has his first very difficult and controversial decision to make.
        State Farm and CarMax already dropped all sponsorships and cancelled commercials !!!! Just now on Bloomberg TV.
        1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

I agree that the comments weren't as visceral as I expected. Kind of sounds like an insecure guy whose concerned about what his friend will think/boyfriend inferiority complex to some degree.

I think Sharick is really trying to avoid the issue of actually talking about the comments because that can easily devolve and turn into a debate of what is racist and what is not, and then further devolve into a racist witch-hunt, etc.

So I'll leave it at this. This is not the first documented evidence of Sterling's feelings toward minorities. And I think that's why this is gaining even more traction.
          They were Warrior fans.
          Mood: WOOF!

Comment

The reason why this is all coming to light now is because the Clippers are a lot more popular.
            Nobody cared about the Clippers even 5 years ago, they were a horrible franchise.

Also, timing plays a huge part. This story came out in the middle of the Clippers playoff run, so it's going to really get people's attention.

And the fact that he mentioned Magic Johnson as someone who isn't allowed I'm his building..well yeah.
            Mood: WOOF!

Comment

On one hand, I don't think his team should be taken from him. I think in a capitalist society, the consumer has the option to punish him or give him some kind of reprieve if they're truly disgusted.

But on the other hand, sport franchises are a different animal. If a hardware store owner was caught saying something like this, he'd likely feel the wrath in the way of loss of profit. However, Sports franchises have a hold on people's hearts rather than their logic. People are still going to pour money into this man's franchise.

I saw an ironic fan sign from a clippers fan at one of the games that said "I brought a black person to the game" (and his friend had a sign that said "Black Guy"). While that may bother Sterling, he's still getting that person's money.

So I wouldn't mind if the NBA took the necessary measures to remove him from his position, since ultimately they have to deal with the PR perspective of it all.
              I was watching the news shows earlier and they were saying that the NBA owners have tried to get rid of Sterling in the past because he's such a horrible owner, but legally they couldn't do it. In fact, I think they sued him at one point and he sued them right back. But, at this point, Sterling is becoming an PR nightmare for the league so they have to put some pressure on him.

Ultimately, the best way for people to attack someone like Sterling is in the wallet. People can protest and get mad, but somebody like Sterling probably isn't going to care about that. Take money out of his pocket when it comes to the Clippers, and his other business interests, and you get his attention. Once the season is over people have to stop buying tickets to the Clippers games and don't buy Clippers merchandise. But people can start boycotting some of his other business ventures now since he owns a lot of businesses/property in L.A.
              One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueBoricua View Post

I personally wouldn't. But I'm a fairly educated fan. Just like everyone else here-- the fact that we're posting on a NFL forum in late April is evidence that we're well versed in the sport we support.

People are still going to buy tickets. I personally don't buy tickets or merch for Cowboys games because I don't support Jerry Jones, but it doesn't make a difference. There are still plenty of fans willing to fill that stadium, buy his gear, pay $60 for a Pizza, etc.

There will always be people that support the team.

In LA, it might work, because there's another attractive Franchise with a much better history in the same arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                  They were Warrior fans.
                  Thanks for the clarification. Still money in his pockets. Although, those tickets could've been, and likely were purchased before the S-storm.

Comment

A press conference is scheduled for tomorrow by the NBA to discuss their findings. The clips are losing business partnerships and doc rivers is also undecided on whether or not he will be with the team next year.
                    sigpic

Comment

...regardless of the severity, or not, of his comments, they were racially insensitive. Perhaps he doesn't want Magic near his franchise because now we are hearing how Magic may have interest in purchasing the Clippers. So could Sterling have been speaking more from a possessive standpoint?

However to his shame, he has a historical track record of bigoted actions and so that comes to play and doesn't help his case at all.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Comment

The sworn testimony in his civil lawsuit years back is unreal. I am throwing some blame to the owners as a whole and also to David stern for doing nothing when this guy was an established loose cannon. The only nba owner that has said anything publicly up to now is Michael Jordan.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by giantyankee1976 View Post
                          ...regardless of the severity, or not, of his comments, they were racially insensitive. Perhaps he doesn't want Magic near his franchise because now we are hearing how Magic may have interest in purchasing the Clippers. So could Sterling have been speaking more from a possessive standpoint?

However to his shame, he has a historical track record of bigoted actions and so that comes to play and doesn't help his case at all.
                          His comments about Magic were based on the fact that he didn't want his girlfriend taking photos with black people and putting them up on Instagram since she had posted a photo of herself with Magic. He didn't like the fact that she posted a photo of herself with Matt Kemp either. Sterling's entire argument is that he didn't want her publicly associating with any black people.
                          One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

State farm came out and said that they absolutely love Chris Paul and will still keep him around and continue to promote their assist program with him.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sharick88 View Post
                              State farm came out and said that they absolutely love Chris Paul and will still keep him around and continue to promote their assist program with him.
                              that's good to hear...I like CP3's commercials. Plus he shouldn't be punished for Sterling's comments/ actions.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by giantyankee1976 View Post
                                that's good to hear...I like CP3's commercials. Plus he shouldn't be punished for Sterling's comments/ actions.
                                Exactly. I do too. Their relationship with the Clippers franchise is on hold, but Chris Paul is maintained. Good for both Chris and state farms.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X