2014 FIFA World Cup Thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by miked1958 View Post
    Do We have the last game in the round of 16 Tuesday, or is there one after us?
    Last game to go for Round of 16 on Tuesday at 4 PM EST. US vs. Belgium. I hope Klinsmann has the faith that his team can beat anyone in the knockout rounds. They were probably extra cautious with Germany because of the goal differential situation, but I don't expect the US to play too conservative vs. Belgium. It would be great if they can get Altidore back for that game.

All the players and coaches spent nearly 2 years of qualifying for the Cup. It's a lot of preparation and hard work just to get into the tournament. In the knockout rounds, it's all or nothing. Chile can go home with their heads held high after today because they laid it all out on the field to the very end and nearly pulled off the upset.

Hoping for Mexico to upset Netherlands tomorrow, then there's a good chance that a familiarized CONCACAF opponent will be waiting in the semifinals for the US should they get that far.
    Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 06-28-2014, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
      Last game to go for Round of 16 on Tuesday at 4 PM EST. US vs. Belgium. I hope Klinsmann has the faith that his team can beat anyone in the knockout rounds. They were probably extra cautious with Germany because of the goal differential situation, but I don't expect the US to play too conservative vs. Belgium. It would be great if they can get Altidore back for that game.

All the players and coaches spent nearly 2 years of qualifying for the Cup. It's a lot of preparation and hard work just to get into the tournament. In the knockout rounds, it's all or nothing. Chile can go home with their heads held high after today because they laid it all out on the field to the very end and nearly pulled off the upset.

Hoping for Mexico to upset Netherlands tomorrow, then there's a good chance that a familiarized CONCACAF opponent will be waiting in the semifinals for the US should they get that far.
      I think this World Cup more then any other has proved that anyone can win it and anyone is subject to get upset as we've seen some of the top favorites not even make it to the knockout stage. Just look in our Group and there was a few of them
      Football has been very, very good to us.
      After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
      But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
      2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
      3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
      4-New York Giants!!!
      5-NE
      Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

• Netherlands equalizes in the 88th minute and takes the lead in stoppage time to beat Mexico 2-1. Another classic case of protecting a 1 goal lead instead of going for more and putting away the game...

Costa Rica with 10 men playing 1 goal lead protect mode, lost the lead, but managed to survive the Greek onslaught all the way to penalty kicks and won. What a game!
        Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 06-29-2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Brazil is no powerhouse his time around, and the Netherlands only won by an Academy Award winning performance by Robben
          He was not fouled but he looked like he'd been hit in th back by a wrecking ball

DISGACEFULL

FIFA needs to stop the FLOP

all Flops and Box penalties should be reviewed in the last 10 minutes of each game

If a flop is detected the offender should face a mandatory 3 game suspension ant the other team should take the penalty shot

In the absence of that their should be two penalty shots, the present one for obvious blatant handballs, trips, pushes, punches, and pull downs

A 30 Yd penalty shot for marginal, questionable penalties in the box

We showed Germany we can hang with them..........we are more likely to lose to Costa Rica than any of those 3 teams.

I see a USA Germany, or USA Brazil final coming up

Mexico got ROOKED

We are in it to win it.......Germany might not make it past Algeria today......a very good squad surprisingly
          Last edited by BParcells777; 06-30-2014, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Mexico got Robbed.......Robbined........beaten by the best flopper in the game

Comment

• Germany gets every borderline call both ways its disgraceful . Algeria is getting shafted
              Last edited by Redeyejedi; 06-30-2014, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BParcells777 View Post
                Mexico got Robbed.......Robbined........beaten by the best flopper in the game
                Mexico may have gotten Robbened, but they gave up any further offense in the game by taking out gio dos santos and oribe peralta and putting in ineffective subs. Momentum and confidence advantage went completely to the Netherlands. It was just a matter of cracking a nutshell for the Flying Dutchmen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
                  Germany gets every borderline call both ways its disgraceful . Algeria is getting shafted
                  Algeria's tired defense because the defenders couldn't play 120 minutes easily giving up the second goal to Germany only to see the team score the potential equalizer at the end had it been 1 goal lead for Germany. What can you say there besides Never give up!!!??

Algeria outplayed Germany in the first half, but Germany outplayed Algeria in the second half and overtime.

Comment

• Yes I am truly sick of the favoritism the Refs show Germany......

Trouble- Jurgen just came out and said we drew a bad Ref for tomorrow....this guy loves to play psychological games for sure

I like it

Comment

• After 2 weeks with the hamstring injury, Jozy Altidore is available for the US vs. Belgium game, probably as a sub as opposed to a starter.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/...urn-vs-belgium
                      Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 06-30-2014, 10:27 PM.

Comment

After 2 weeks with the hamstring injury, Jozy Altidore is available for the US vs. Belgium game, probably as a sub as opposed to a starter.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/...urn-vs-belgium
                        If he is healthy you have to play him, they just dont have another goal scorer besides Clint Dempsey. With Belgium having some weakness in the midfield letting Altidore play the high forward and Dempsey play the low forward allowing him to create some chances is the best lineup for the US.

If Altidore isnt healthy though wasting a sub with these 30 minute OT's are killer

1 other thing I hate the soccer shootout I think in extra time u should be awarded an extra 2 subs and allow the game to continue till a golden goal is scored. Thats more of a test of endurance and depth which separates the better teams

Ive also heard an idea of having the shootout before the extra time is played but this would create 1 team trying to play 30 minutes of defense while the other team straight up attacks which could be exciting

Another idea was having teams execute a corner or free kick competition with fewer players on the field instead of shootouts.
                        Last edited by Redeyejedi; 07-01-2014, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BParcells777 View Post
                          Yes I am truly sick of the favoritism the Refs show Germany......

Trouble- Jurgen just came out and said we drew a bad Ref for tomorrow....this guy loves to play psychological games for sure

I like it
                          yesterday again everytime Algeria would lean on a player when counter attacking a free kick would be rewarded, meantime if Germany did the exact same thing it was a no call. I guess its like the favoritism Lebron gets

Comment

• Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
                            yesterday again everytime Algeria would lean on a player when counter attacking a free kick would be rewarded, meantime if Germany did the exact same thing it was a no call. I guess its like the favoritism Lebron gets
                            Seems like refs trying to stack odds in favor of the top teams to ensure they get the most favorable final game. Hard to beat the top teams when they have the refs aiding them
                            Football has been very, very good to us.
                            After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                            But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                            2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                            3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                            4-New York Giants!!!
                            5-NE
                            Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

• YOU ESSAY.
                              Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• We are getting absolutely gashed through the midfield horrible start

Comment

Working...
                                X