2017 New York Mets Thread.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NAVY2323 View Post
    How about Dusty Baker? I'd be more satisfied with Baker than Acta, Long or Ventura.
    I think Ventura is out . He declined to interview for the job.
    Never go to battle with the intellectually unarmed.

Comment

• Originally posted by TEM View Post

I think Ventura is out . He declined to interview for the job.
      Is that right, I must have missed that. He was said to be a top choice coming in. Then again, who the hell wants to deal with everything else NY has you deal with when your owners act like you're the Tampa Bay Devil Rays? It really comes back to the fact that I hate the Coupons more than anything.
      sigpic Verbally I'm untouchable like Eliot Ness.

Comment

Is that right, I must have missed that. He was said to be a top choice coming in. Then again, who the hell wants to deal with everything else NY has you deal with when your owners act like you're the Tampa Bay Devil Rays? It really comes back to the fact that I hate the Coupons more than anything.
        Who ever takes that job has one hand tied to his back because of the ownership.
        Never go to battle with the intellectually unarmed.

Comment

• God, I hope the Mets don't just retread another has been manager like Acta or Baker. But since both are kind of poster children for high mediocrity, I'm guessing that's exactly what they are going to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
            God, I hope the Mets don't just retread another has been manager like Acta or Baker. But since both are kind of poster children for high mediocrity, I'm guessing that's exactly what they are going to do.
            However they go, they will go cheap. My bet is Kevin Long.

Comment

• How about that? Callaway!

Just as we all suspected all along.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                How about that? Callaway!

Just as we all suspected all along.
                I love his golf clubs!

Comment

• I know nothing about him except he is supposedly a pitching guru.

Welcome and Good Luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by DandyDon View Post
                    I know nothing about him except he is supposedly a pitching guru.

Welcome and Good Luck!
                    And he was cheap, don't forget that part. Wilpon's got a cheap, no-name replacement. They are essentially like the generic brand of a baseball team.

Comment

And he was cheap, don't forget that part. Wilpon's got a cheap, no-name replacement. They are essentially like the generic brand of a baseball team.
                      I did predict that, but that's like predicting the sun will come up tomorrow. Our owners are cheap idiots:

Here's Jeff:

"Wilpon has been criticized by some for being too much of a meddler in the baseball operations for the New York Mets. In 2010, Joel Sherman of the New York Post wrote, "Let's give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let's say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he's none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry as the Mets try yet again to fix their baseball operations department."[3]

Sherman also cited a baseball executive in regular contact with the Mets, who said, "Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him."[3] An AL executive added, "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is [Marlins president] David Samson."[3]

In 2009, Peter Gammons told ESPN Radio that Mets GM Omar Minaya "isn't the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar's the one out there to take the heat."[4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wilpon

And Fred?:

Wilpon was one of the investors who invested a significant amount of money with Bernard Madoff which was lost when the Ponzi scheme collapsed in December 2008.[8] It was reported that Wilpon had "lost" about $700 million because of Madoff, which has led to speculation that he may be forced to sell the team.[9] Since then Wilpon has said that his losses were "substantially less" than that figure.[10] Reports later surfaced that Wilpon and his family actually made about $300 million with Madoff and had not lost money as previously reported.[11] As a result, in December 2010, Wilpon was named in a lawsuit filed by Irving Picard on behalf of the victims of Madoff's investment scandal and on January 28, 2011 Wilpon issued a statement seeking “one or more strategic partners” interested in buying 20 to 25% interest in the Mets to offset pending losses due to litigation (which may total up to $1 billion).[12] Wilpon and his partner and brother-in-law Saul Katz were involved in another Ponzi scheme which was orchestrated by Samuel Israel III and they were forced to pay $13 million to investors when Israel's hedge fund collapsed.[13] It was revealed that Wilpon utilized Madoff in running the Mets' finances. It became a common practice to negotiate deferred money into players' contracts and then put that money with Madoff to invest because they were able to make money for themselves before paying players.[14] The lawsuit also contends that Madoff funds were used to cover team expenses such as payroll and its minor league club in Brooklyn,[15] as well as financing the creation of the cable network SportsNet New York and Citi Field.[16] In an interview while in prison, Madoff claimed that Wilpon "knew nothing" about his Ponzi scheme.[17] After it was reported that Major League Baseball loaned the Mets $25 million in November 2010 to shore up their finances, Wilpon is now willing to sell up to a 49% ownership stake of the team[18] at a cost of $200 million.[19] On May 26, 2011, it was reported that Wilpon has agreed to sell a minority share of the Mets to David Einhorn, president of the hedge fund Greenlight Capital,[20] but ended negotiations on September 1.[21] After the Mets received a $40 million loan from Bank of America in November 2011, Major League Baseball is monitoring the situation closely and is prepared to take control of the team from Wilpon if he defaults on the loan.[22] The trustee to the Madoff trust, Irving H. Picard, had declared that the Wilpons had enriched themselves over many years of profitable investing with Mr. Madoff while ignoring repeated warnings that he might have been a fraud. On March 19, 2012, Wilpon agreed to settle Picard's lawsuit for $162 million.[23]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Wilpon

So one guy thinks he knows baseball when he doesn't, and the other one was involved in not one but 2 ponzi schemes, and is the reason they are still paying Bobby Bonilla. Because this moron really believed the impossible returns he was getting from 2 different con men were real.

This is the Mets ownership...
                      Last edited by DandyDon; 10-25-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Want to give a shout out to Carlos Beltran who finally won a championship and will one day imo get into the HOF.

I thought mets fans were too hard on him because of that unforgettable curve ball that he took a strike which imo was unhittable in 06 nlcs game 7. IMO he was our only clutch hitter from 06-08 and now he's a champion.

Comment

• To be honest, i would love this . make it happen! http://www.12up.com/posts/5863423-re...on?a_aid=36534

Comment

Working...
                          X