Rob Manfred tries to "one up" Roger Goodell and slowly destroy baseball:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    I strongly disagree about 7 inning games. Baseball is 9 innings. cant change that. I don't mind shortening the season however. start later in April, end a bit earlier (although I love that classic October baseball). Maybe giveven more days off by having a lot more 6 game weeks instead of doing so many 7 game weeks. Figure out a way to add more off days for the players.

The biggest issue is the commercial breaks but we all know they won't limit those.
    Normally, I'd agree with your 9 innings sentiment. But in the context of decreasing national interest in the game to the point that MLB is already willing to consider extreme measures (in the name of "speeding up" or shortening the length of a game) for altering the nature of the game by experimenting in lower leagues -- like the extra innings absurdity of starting the inning by spotting a man or two on base -- reducing the number of regulation innings no longer seems inviolate, it seems to me. But that's just a thought, and I'm no doubt alone in that thinking (although I know I, for one, would likely resume watching baseball again if it were shorter by at least one if not two innings).

I agree it would be beneficial to players and coaches, and by extension to the fans, that reducing number of games could and should allow for more rest days throughout the season, as well. MLB should really give serious consideration to that.

But, as usual these days, they fear revenue loss. It's all about quantity and not about quality, regarding decisions involving revenue potential and professional sports. That's why every year the NFL commissioner and some owners bring up extending the reg season to 18 games.

As to classic October baseball, I was envisioning the World Series still being in October, but with the regular season ending by the 10th of Sept or so (about when the NFL season kicks off), the elimination playoff series could be played throughout the rest of Sept. for the most part, and the World Series be completed by mid-Oct, instead of Halloween or early Nov.

The season is currently so long, you can literally have a couple early April games in northern venues played in snow flurries, and the same is always a possibility if any World Series games are played in the Northeast or Denver. At the very least you're watching some of those games on either end of the season/post season all bundled up. It's ridiculous.

Comment

So true. Yankees are notorious for having longer at bats and keeping an inning going. And Girardi and his pitching changes are crazy at times and some times costs him. Red Sox always do the same though as the the Big Roidtiz always took much time getting ready. Checking his cleats, checking the batting glove, spitting, shifting his weight, rechecking his batting glove, making sure the cameras are on him, doing a lil dance, shifting his weight again, making sure his eyebrows and beard is trimmed perfect.... 3 minutes go by...

Anyone who cries about people bringing up the length of a Red Sox Yankee game is obviously not paying attention to the game of baseball (and sound ridiculous).

They are long games.

I only enjoy it though because Im a big time Yankee fan.
      Working counts are a good thing for any team. Leaving the box every pitch to adjust your pants/gloves/jock for 30 seconds is a big part of the problem IMO. Stand at the plate and do your f-in job, and stop posing.

Just MO.

Comment

Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
        Normally, I'd agree with your 9 innings sentiment. But in the context of decreasing national interest in the game to the point that MLB is already willing to consider extreme measures (in the name of "speeding up" or shortening the length of a game) for altering the nature of the game by experimenting in lower leagues -- like the extra innings absurdity of starting the inning by spotting a man or two on base -- reducing the number of regulation innings no longer seems inviolate, it seems to me. But that's just a thought, and I'm no doubt alone in that thinking (although I know I, for one, would likely resume watching baseball again if it were shorter by at least one if not two innings).

I agree it would be beneficial to players and coaches, and by extension to the fans, that reducing number of games could and should allow for more rest days throughout the season, as well. MLB should really give serious consideration to that.

But, as usual these days, they fear revenue loss. It's all about quantity and not about quality, regarding decisions involving revenue potential and professional sports. That's why every year the NFL commissioner and some owners bring up extending the reg season to 18 games.

As to classic October baseball, I was envisioning the World Series still being in October, but with the regular season ending by the 10th of Sept or so (about when the NFL season kicks off), the elimination playoff series could be played throughout the rest of Sept. for the most part, and the World Series be completed by mid-Oct, instead of Halloween or early Nov.

The season is currently so long, you can literally have a couple early April games in northern venues played in snow flurries, and the same is always a possibility if any World Series games are played in the Northeast or Denver. At the very least you're watching some of those games on either end of the season/post season all bundled up. It's ridiculous.
        I just think changing to 7 innings wont speed the game up. It will shorten it, but not speed it up. So you will still have all the crap that slows it down, pitchers shaking off pitches, stepping off the rubber, hitters one foot in the box, taking for ever adjusting everything, ect. 7 inning games still will "bore" the average ADD generation fan. You need to change the down times, not the length of the actual game.

And if they want more interest, do what the NFL does, and start ignoring the PEDs again. They did it after the strike year to bring back the fans adn you had one of the est things baseball ever had when it was Big Mac and Slamming Sammy going toe to toe for the HR crown. I didnt care if they were using PEDs, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Offense is what makes sports exciting and the average fan have more interest. No one whats to see the 2-1 pitchers dual who isnt a die hard. Thats why the NFL and NBA are popular right now while MLB and Hockey are fading. NFL and NBA made huge adjustments for offenses to score. MLB whats a quicker game, but that would mean less scoring.
        Last edited by TheAnalyst; 02-12-2017, 10:27 PM.
        The Problem is the Oline, PERIOD

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post
          Working counts are a good thing for any team. Leaving the box every pitch to adjust your pants/gloves/jock for 30 seconds is a big part of the problem IMO. Stand at the plate and do your f-in job, and stop posing.

Just MO.

+1
          sigpic

Comment

It's just one of those things where you either teach your kids to appreciate baseball or you don't. You either get your kids to play baseball or you don't. These tweaks aren't going to up interest. There's simply not enough instant gratification and constant stimuli that this generation requires. I'm 40, but I see this clear as day with our kids. I even have to read my kids the "go outside" riot act from time to time. Playing sports isn't an option, after you try it you can opt not to like it and that's fine. In my house, you'll try it though. The exception is football, my kids actually want to have to play that one. Baseball is slow by nature, and only very real fans will notice the difference. To casual fans, the difference won't even really be noticeable to them I'll bet.
            sigpic Verbally I'm untouchable like Eliot Ness.

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY2323 View Post
              It's just one of those things where you either teach your kids to appreciate baseball or you don't. You either get your kids to play baseball or you don't. These tweaks aren't going to up interest. There's simply not enough instant gratification and constant stimuli that this generation requires. I'm 40, but I see this clear as day with our kids. I even have to read my kids the "go outside" riot act from time to time. Playing sports isn't an option, after you try it you can opt not to like it and that's fine. In my house, you'll try it though. The exception is football, my kids actually want to have to play that one. Baseball is slow by nature, and only very real fans will notice the difference. To casual fans, the difference won't even really be noticeable to them I'll bet.
              You're probably right. Baseball needs to learn how to market itself better as well.

Comment

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...-signal-dugout

This is dumb new rule change #1.

Thank you for saving me 1 minute every 2.6 games played...

No more of this:

or this:

Comment

It's so disappointing they thought this was a big concern. Slowly baseball is dying much like the NFL. They are talking pitch clocks next year too. Soon baseball will be catering the ADD generation who are probably watching their phones at the park instead of the field anyway. Sad.

Comment

It's so disappointing they thought this was a big concern. Slowly baseball is dying much like the NFL. They are talking pitch clocks next year too. Soon baseball will be catering the ADD generation who are probably watching their phones at the park instead of the field anyway. Sad.
                    If they want to speed up games, they should drop warm up pitches to 3, stay live with some discussion(which I find baseball broadcasters to be the most thought provoking), and reduce commercial breaks between innings. However, they want to speed up games with dumb changes and not lose ad monies. Shocking, I know.
                    sigpic Verbally I'm untouchable like Eliot Ness.

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY2323 View Post
                      If they want to speed up games, they should drop warm up pitches to 3, stay live with some discussion(which I find baseball broadcasters to be the most thought provoking), and reduce commercial breaks between innings. However, they want to speed up games with dumb changes and not lose ad monies. Shocking, I know.
                      Yeah the automatic commercial breaks during pitching changes are annoying, especially when it happens multiple times in a single inning.

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post
                        Yeah the automatic commercial breaks during pitching changes are annoying, especially when it happens multiple times in a single inning.
                        $$$$$$$

It's like the commercials after the XP and then after the kickoff following. It's annoying but if these sports could they would add more and more commercial breaks. those arent going away.

So tired of all sports tinkering with stuff. They are ruining the very foundation of sports. NFL is a completely different game now. Just watch the Giants first 2 SB wins vs the last 2. It's mind boggling. Now go back and watch a baseball game from the 90s compared to now. It's headed the same way.

Limit pitching changes.
                        Limit coaching mound visits
                        Make a minimum of hitters faced by a reliever.
                        Change the DH to a rule where a player can not DH 2 games in a row. This one is more for me and won't speed up the game though.

Comment

$$$$$$$

It's like the commercials after the XP and then after the kickoff following.
                          Yup.

Comment

Girardi suggested pitchers and catchers wearing ear pieces so they can communicate easier. Also hitters so they can as well. Next thing you know, signals get jammed in Boston or stolen.

Comment

Baseball's New Intentional Walk Scheme Is A Pointless, Off-Target Act Of Surrender
                              An automatic intentional walk would reward the team that’s trying to duck a dangerous batter by eliminating all other sources of risk from the scenario. It would take away from the hitting team any chance of advancing on a wild pitch or a stolen base—or the advantage, when the next hitter comes to bat, of the pitcher having to rediscover his normal motion and find the strike zone again.
                              Very well said

http://deadspin.com/baseballs-new-in...s-o-1792633670

Comment

Several players express their frustration with MLB's pace-of-play rule changes
                                Starting next season, Rob Manfred will have even more power along these lines

Commissioner Rob Manfred has of course made improving baseball’s pace of play at the major-league level a priority item. To that end, he has enacted a number of measures -- the latest being the “automation” of the intentional walk. Manfred wants more, of course, including a pitch clock and a raised strike zone.
                                Now, though, some players are beginning to push back against Manfred’s initiatives. Bob Nightengale of USA Today quotes a number of frustrated big-leaguers -- Jonathan Lucroy, Cole Hamels and Jimmy Rollins among them. The full article is worth reading to hear all their concerns, but Brandon Moss of the Royals put it in the strongest terms:

“I’m just very glad I will not be playing this game in 10 years. It won’t be recognizable. It’s going in a direction where it’s not the same game. Every year they keep trying to think of some stupid new rule. It’s getting old. Real old.”

If the voices in Nightengale’s story are any guide, then frustration among the ranks of players is widespread. Let it be known, though, that Manfred himself seems a bit vexed ...

“Unfortunately, it now appears that there really won’t be any meaningful change for the 2017 season due to a lack of cooperation from the MLBPA.”

Other than the intentional walk thing, that is. In any event, we have loggerheads. Manfred wants these changes now, and the MLBPA doesn’t see the hurry. And as union head Tony Clark tells Yahoo’s Jeff Passan, time limits on replay reviews and organized penalties for pace-of-play violations might indeed come to pass soon in addition to the IBB changes. Still, Manfred wants more.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/se...-rule-changes/

Im getting real worried about the future of this great sport.

Comment

Working...
                                X