well the Eagles beat us to Legarrette Blount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Donnie Yen View Post
    Your Telling me if we signed Blount before the 9th of May we would have had to give up the same draft pick then after the 9th? then why before the 9th did it seem like there was mutual interest between Blount and the Giants and the media seemed to think he was all but going to the Giants and after the 9th of May not so much? Look I will admit I don't get every rule that pertains to this but what you are saying makes no sense from what I observed.
    We wouldn't be giving up a draft pick. That's not how the compensatory draft selection works. Every year the NFL awards 32 compensatory draft picks to teams that essentially lose more free agents than they gained. You'll find these picks at the ends of Rounds 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. The round that your compensatory pick falls to depends on the size of the contract another team gave to the player you lost in free agency. You can have up to four compensatory picks per year. This has nothing to do with the 7 picks every team starts with in the draft from Rounds 1-7 that have to do with your record.

So every free agent on the market that qualifies under this formula as a free agent loss for a team will count in this formula until May 9th. Then all remaining free agents do not count under this formula. Blount counted and Hankins counted, and to keep it simple those are the only two players you need to know about. When you read that we had interest in Blount, what they were probably waiting for if that was true is for the May 9th deadline to expire, and then sign him so the signing doesn't get used against them in the formula that calculates any potential compensatory picks we may get in 2018. The reason why it's important is because Hankins signing with the Colts is expected to get the team a 4th round compensatory pick. However, if we sign Blount while he counts also, those two players cancel each other and we don't get the pick.

Now here's where the tender comes in. Blount was no longer going to count against any team signing him after May 9th, and so would not count for the Patriots as a loss in their formula, which means one less potential pick for them. What they did was put a tender on him that extended that deadline, so instead of May 9th being the day that teams with compensatory picks on the line could sign him, now they can't sign him at all without putting one of those picks at risk. The Eagles have no compensatory picks for next year because they signed a lot of free agents this year, so signing him doesn't matter from their perspective.

Comment

whatever. didn't need him anyway imo.

probably half *** it like he did when pittsburg signed him

Comment

How this thread got moved to general sports is beyond me
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jmike View Post
          blunt?
          That's what he smokes

Comment

Its one thing to say you didn't want him or It was never realistic to think we could sign him, but He went to the Eagles now he will kill us whenever he plays us you guys do realize this don't you? Are there any other running backs out there In free agency worth getting? This really just ruined my day and made me really depressed. At least I got my Yankees latter and we are In first place!
            The sky is falling.
            The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Comment

Originally posted by rcrane View Post
              How this thread got moved to general sports is beyond me
              Well it isn't giants related and he does not play for the giants. Maybe that's why it got moved.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Onyxmeth View Post
                We wouldn't be giving up a draft pick. That's not how the compensatory draft selection works. Every year the NFL awards 32 compensatory draft picks to teams that essentially lose more free agents than they gained. You'll find these picks at the ends of Rounds 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. The round that your compensatory pick falls to depends on the size of the contract another team gave to the player you lost in free agency. You can have up to four compensatory picks per year. This has nothing to do with the 7 picks every team starts with in the draft from Rounds 1-7 that have to do with your record.

So every free agent on the market that qualifies under this formula as a free agent loss for a team will count in this formula until May 9th. Then all remaining free agents do not count under this formula. Blount counted and Hankins counted, and to keep it simple those are the only two players you need to know about. When you read that we had interest in Blount, what they were probably waiting for if that was true is for the May 9th deadline to expire, and then sign him so the signing doesn't get used against them in the formula that calculates any potential compensatory picks we may get in 2018. The reason why it's important is because Hankins signing with the Colts is expected to get the team a 4th round compensatory pick. However, if we sign Blount while he counts also, those two players cancel each other and we don't get the pick.

Now here's where the tender comes in. Blount was no longer going to count against any team signing him after May 9th, and so would not count for the Patriots as a loss in their formula, which means one less potential pick for them. What they did was put a tender on him that extended that deadline, so instead of May 9th being the day that teams with compensatory picks on the line could sign him, now they can't sign him at all without putting one of those picks at risk. The Eagles have no compensatory picks for next year because they signed a lot of free agents this year, so signing him doesn't matter from their perspective.
                then why before the deadline on what was it the 9th of May we were odds on favorite to Land Blount but after the Deadline we weren't going to get him because of the compensatory pick? Everybody in the media was talking about it including Kimberly Jones and Paul Dottino. my understanding is If we would have signed Blount we lose the compensatory draft pick from Losing Hankins, that is what Kimberly Jones and Dottino said.
                Last edited by Donnie Yen; 05-17-2017, 10:05 PM.

Comment

then why before the deadline on what was it the 9th of May we were odds on favorite to Land Blount but after the Deadline we weren't going to get him because of the compensatory pick? Everybody in the media was talking about it including Kimberly Jones and Paul Dottino.
                  I wanted Blount also
                  To answer your question . It is not smart to give up a pick on a rent a player. The Giants were probably not going to give him more then a one year deal. If they did, the guaranteed money would have been minimal so they could terminate his contract at the end of the season.
                  The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post
                    I wanted Blount also
                    To answer your question . It is not smart to give up a pick on a rent a player. The Giants were probably not going to give him more then a one year deal. If they did, the guaranteed money would have been minimal so they could terminate his contract at the end of the season.
                    I think what I am getting at here Is forget the notion of a Draft Pick a couple of weeks ago the Giants and Blount had mutual interest and the Giants dragged there feet in the mud waited to long and once the deadline happened we lost any realistic chance to get him. IMHO Reese had a bad offseason. last offseason he did good by fortifying our defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donnie Yen View Post
                      I think what I am getting at here Is forget the notion of a Draft Pick a couple of weeks ago the Giants and Blount had mutual interest and the Giants dragged there feet in the mud waited to long and once the deadline happened we lost any realistic chance to get him. IMHO Reese had a bad offseason. last offseason he did good by fortifying our defense.
                      He spent the money he had. JPP tied up a big portion of the cap. I am not happy with the Fluker deal but he was the best choice for the money they had to spend. We have a lot of young talent competing on that O-line this year JJ is 5 years older the next youngest guy (Justin Pugh). 8 players on the o- line 26 and under. That is an encouraging sign. Just because it was reported from this source or that source is no guarantee that Reese was even going to make an offer to Blount. After the tender there was no way he was going forward.

Comment

then why before the deadline on what was it the 9th of May we were odds on favorite to Land Blount but after the Deadline we weren't going to get him because of the compensatory pick? Everybody in the media was talking about it including Kimberly Jones and Paul Dottino. my understanding is If we would have signed Blount we lose the compensatory draft pick from Losing Hankins, that is what Kimberly Jones and Dottino said.
                        We were rumored to want him, but like I said, every interested party had compensatory picks on the line, so they were waiting for the May 9th deadline to sign him after.

If we signed Blount before May 9th, then his signing would cancel out Hankins getting signed away by Indy. So we would lose a 4th round compensatory pick.

If we signed Blount after May 9th, then his signing would no longer count against Hankins getting signed away by Indy. All free agent signings after that date no longer count for compensatory picks.

However...the Patriots put a rarely used tender right before the deadline on Blount, which mean that after May 9th he will still count for compensatory picks. So his signing would count against Hankins leaving.

So short and sweet now. If we signed him before May 9th no Comp pick for us. If the Pats didn't tender him on May 8th, then on May 9th we could have signed him and still get our Comp pick. Since they tendered him, he still counts after May 9th and we don't get our Comp pick if we sign him. That's why he was tied to us and the Ravens for months and still wasn't signed by either. Both teams were waiting for the deadline to pass.

Comment

• Originally posted by TEM View Post
                          He spent the money he had. JPP tied up a big portion of the cap. I am not happy with the Fluker deal but he was the best choice for the money they had to spend. We have a lot of young talent competing on that O-line this year JJ is 5 years older the next youngest guy (Justin Pugh). 8 players on the o- line 26 and under. That is an encouraging sign. Just because it was reported from this source or that source is no guarantee that Reese was even going to make an offer to Blount. After the tender there was no way he was going forward.
                          If you do a little research and number crunching the Giants had enough money for Blount.

Comment

• Originally posted by Onyxmeth View Post
                            We were rumored to want him, but like I said, every interested party had compensatory picks on the line, so they were waiting for the May 9th deadline to sign him after.

If we signed Blount before May 9th, then his signing would cancel out Hankins getting signed away by Indy. So we would lose a 4th round compensatory pick.

If we signed Blount after May 9th, then his signing would no longer count against Hankins getting signed away by Indy. All free agent signings after that date no longer count for compensatory picks.

However...the Patriots put a rarely used tender right before the deadline on Blount, which mean that after May 9th he will still count for compensatory picks. So his signing would count against Hankins leaving.

So short and sweet now. If we signed him before May 9th no Comp pick for us. If the Pats didn't tender him on May 8th, then on May 9th we could have signed him and still get our Comp pick. Since they tendered him, he still counts after May 9th and we don't get our Comp pick if we sign him. That's why he was tied to us and the Ravens for months and still wasn't signed by either. Both teams were waiting for the deadline to pass.
                            your wrong dude Dottino and Kimberly Jones reiterated exactly what I said. IMHO the mutual interest was not just a rumor Blount Is best Friends with Odell Beckham Jr plus If I was a betting man my money is on the Giants not the eagles to have more potential to win a super bowl so it looks like Blount wanted more money over going to a better team? and the Giants were cheapskates bottom line here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                              I think before the draft Blount would have been a nice addition. But it was clear that when we drafted Gallman, who is a big, physical back, we were moving on from the idea of signing Blount. Once the draft was over, I assumed Blount was never going to be a Giant. I like him because he brings real attitude, which we need on offense.

Great pick up for Philly though. They have real problems at RB. Blount fills a huge need for them and makes them a stronger rival.

I hate to say it but Philly is dead serious this season. They have addressed a great many needs, especially on offense.
                              I agree once they drafted Gallman​ they were not going to sign Blount but I would call Blount a big physical Back St 6'1 and weighs 245. Gallman being also 6'1 but he is only 210 hardly considered a big physical Back. Maybe faster and more shifty but not the power back that Blount could of been down at the goal line. Now we get to watch him pound it in for Philly. Probably see it happening against us once or twice
                              Football has been very, very good to us.
                              After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                              But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                              2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                              3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                              4-New York Giants!!!
                              5-NE
                              Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

If you do a little research and number crunching the Giants had enough money for Blount.
                                You are making an assumption the Giants were interested in signing him.

Comment

Working...
                                X