Boston Red Sox 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NAVY2323 View Post
    I do have a fantastic Red Sox memory. Of course that's crippled ole' Bill Buckner not being able to bend down to field Mookie's grounder. "And the Mets win it!!!" (Scully at his finest). Probably the greatest comeback in WS history, given that they had none on and 2 outs when the rally started.
    Comeback?......A passed ball and an error.

The Mets hit three singles and a weak grounder to first.
    Last edited by Morehead State; 06-15-2017, 07:59 AM.
    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

lol the dirty sox...

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY2323 View Post
        I do have a fantastic Red Sox memory. Of course that's crippled ole' Bill Buckner not being able to bend down to field Mookie's grounder. "And the Mets win it!!!" (Scully at his finest). Probably the greatest comeback in WS history, given that they had none on and 2 outs when the rally started.

I figure smart Red Sox fans don't put that on Buckner. If he fielded that ball cleanly he had no play anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

They were down and ended up winning late. That is defined as a comeback.
          sigpic

Comment

Blind? Check out his plate appearances up to age 26. He never had 500 plate appearances until age 27. He was a spot starter, even his first year in Boston he didn't play full time all season. It wasn't until age 28 that he was a full time starter.

PLEASE know what you're talking about.
            Oh no! Sir you are proving my point. LOL How many players you know are spot starters and don't play full seasons until age 28 when all of a sudden they magically turn into 50 HR guys on a team with known roiders in the middle of the roid era? He already failed a test in 2003 for PEDs. Think about it Bandwagon St. Although you did already once admit to me you knew Roidtiz was juicing so, oh well.

That is why that chart is interesting. Players who were pretty average until they were 27 and then explode with crazy HR power pretty much talks by itself.

Ortiz is probably the worst naturally gifted out of all those players listed too.
            WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Grapes: A dish best served sour.
              sigpic Verbally I'm untouchable like Eliot Ness.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                Oh no! Sir you are proving my point. LOL How many players you know are spot starters and don't play full seasons until age 28 when all of a sudden they magically turn into 50 HR guys on a team with known roiders in the middle of the roid era? He already failed a test in 2003 for PEDs. Think about it Bandwagon St. Although you did already once admit to me you knew Roidtiz was juicing so, oh well.

That is why that chart is interesting. Players who were pretty average until they were 27 and then explode with crazy HR power pretty much talks by itself.

Ortiz is probably the worst naturally gifted out of all those players listed too.
                I really thought you knew a lot about baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                  I figure smart Red Sox fans don't put that on Buckner. If he fielded that ball cleanly he had no play anyway.
                  It would have been close, but Knight wouldn't have scored. It wasn't Buckner's fault. It was a skip hop off the infield dirt. Just bad luck.

Comment

It would have been close, but Knight wouldn't have scored. It wasn't Buckner's fault. It was a skip hop off the infield dirt. Just bad luck.
                    From the Mets point of view it would have been construed as good luck. It is perspective to what side the event favors.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post
                      From the Mets point of view it would have been construed as good luck. It is perspective to what side the event favors.
                      Yes, obviously. It was just baseball.
                      We had some good luck in 2004.

Comment

I agree it's possible that Knight might not have scored but there were two outs so he was running and Buckner had no one to throw to. Wilson had the pitcher beat easily. Virtually no chance even if he fielded it.

Comment

Yes, obviously. It was just baseball.
                          We had some good luck in 2004.

True; true. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                            I agree it's possible that Knight might not have scored but there were two outs so he was running and Buckner had no one to throw to. Wilson had the pitcher beat easily. Virtually no chance even if he fielded it.
                            It's possible???

How was Ray Knight going to score from second on a grounder to first if he fielded it cleanly.
                            Have you ever watched a baseball game?

Comment

I really thought you knew a lot about baseball.
                              Ooohhh, nice counter point LOL. Got me there. BURN!
                              WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                                Ooohhh, nice counter point LOL. Got me there. BURN!
                                It seems you follow stats. You follow players in the Yankees system but maybe not so much about how the game is played and how players develop.

Well let me help you. It usually takes a lot of development to learn how to hit. "Learning" how to hit a breaking ball for instance usually takes years of at bats to read spin on the baseball. You have about a tenth of a second to decide whether or not to swing at a pitch. Some guys like Robin Yount or Ted Williams have a natural ability or keen eyesight to hit big league pitches at an early age. And today they tend to rush players up because there are a lot of teams and far fewer players to choose from. But generally a player really doesn't develop until their mid twenties. Well when I was a kid essentially every kid played baseball. I wasn't that good but I did play varsity college ball at Western New England College. As I said, most men my age understand what it really takes to hit a pitched baseball. I'm not saying you have to have played a lot to get this. You probably do but your hate for one player seems to be clouding your judgement. It's human nature. Doesn't make you a bad guy.
                                But I watched Ortiz in New Britain back in the early nineties in double A ball. He wasn't close to the refined hitter he became. It takes time. Has nothing to do with PED's. Hitting a baseball has nothing to do with PED's. Hitting it farther does.

And something else you don't get. What separates David Ortiz from most other great power hitters is his ability to hit in the clutch. Maybe you can explain what some illegal substances can do for you in that regard.

Comment

Working...
                                X