Boston Red Sox 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
    It seems you follow stats. You follow players in the Yankees system but maybe not so much about how the game is played and how players develop.

Well let me help you. It usually takes a lot of development to learn how to hit. "Learning" how to hit a breaking ball for instance usually takes years of at bats to read spin on the baseball. You have about a tenth of a second to decide whether or not to swing at a pitch. Some guys like Robin Yount or Ted Williams have a natural ability or keen eyesight to hit big league pitches at an early age. And today they tend to rush players up because there are a lot of teams and far fewer players to choose from. But generally a player really doesn't develop until their mid twenties. Well when I was a kid essentially every kid played baseball. I wasn't that good but I did play varsity college ball at Western New England College. As I said, most men my age understand what it really takes to hit a pitched baseball. I'm not saying you have to have played a lot to get this. You probably do but your hate for one player seems to be clouding your judgement. It's human nature. Doesn't make you a bad guy.
    But I watched Ortiz in New Britain back in the early nineties in double A ball. He wasn't close to the refined hitter he became. It takes time. Has nothing to do with PED's. Hitting a baseball has nothing to do with PED's. Hitting it farther does.

And something else you don't get. What separates David Ortiz from most other great power hitters is his ability to hit in the clutch. Maybe you can explain what some illegal substances can do for you in that regard.
    Great signature by the way. I'm a fan. You forgot: Gloat about every correct point made.
    sigpic Verbally I'm untouchable like Eliot Ness.

Comment

Yes, obviously. It was just baseball.
      We had some good luck in 2004.
      You wold have never need it if the soxs never traded the Babe
      sigpic

Comment

It seems you follow stats. You follow players in the Yankees system but maybe not so much about how the game is played and how players develop.

Well let me help you. It usually takes a lot of development to learn how to hit. "Learning" how to hit a breaking ball for instance usually takes years of at bats to read spin on the baseball. You have about a tenth of a second to decide whether or not to swing at a pitch. Some guys like Robin Yount or Ted Williams have a natural ability or keen eyesight to hit big league pitches at an early age. And today they tend to rush players up because there are a lot of teams and far fewer players to choose from. But generally a player really doesn't develop until their mid twenties. Well when I was a kid essentially every kid played baseball. I wasn't that good but I did play varsity college ball at Western New England College. As I said, most men my age understand what it really takes to hit a pitched baseball. I'm not saying you have to have played a lot to get this. You probably do but your hate for one player seems to be clouding your judgement. It's human nature. Doesn't make you a bad guy.
        But I watched Ortiz in New Britain back in the early nineties in double A ball. He wasn't close to the refined hitter he became. It takes time. Has nothing to do with PED's. Hitting a baseball has nothing to do with PED's. Hitting it farther does.

And something else you don't get. What separates David Ortiz from most other great power hitters is his ability to hit in the clutch. Maybe you can explain what some illegal substances can do for you in that regard.
        I never said he wasn't clutch. He failed a drug test in 2003. He came over to a locker room where it was normal to use. He all of a sudden blew up at 27-28 years old, both statistically and head size. He played like he was 26 at age 40. Sorry you don't see obvious signs. He was a great clutch roiding hitter.
        WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
          I never said he wasn't clutch. He failed a drug test in 2003. He came over to a locker room where it was normal to use. He all of a sudden blew up at 27-28 years old, both statistically and head size. He played like he was 26 at age 40. Sorry you don't see obvious signs. He was a great clutch roiding hitter.
          Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Your obsession for a former player is troubling........yet amusing.

Comment

Your obsession for a former player is troubling........yet amusing.

See, roids

Comment

See, roids
                At least you know how foolish you look now. You're evolving. That's a good thing.

Comment

And at least you know David Ortiz was a phoney on PEDs. So you're getting more intelligent. Thats a good thing.

Comment

And at least you know David Ortiz was a phoney on PEDs. So you're getting more intelligent. Thats a good thing.
                    Read my sig......

Comment

Read my sig......
                      Playing high school baseball up your way must of been brutal in March and April.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Finstock View Post
                        Playing high school baseball up your way must of been brutal in March and April.
                        Coldest I ever was was playing at Sacred Heart in Fairfield, CT in the sleet, standing out in right field, my freshman year in college. That was April, 1977.
                        What was worse is that it was a doubleheader. Sacred Heart, who was the division 2 national champs at the time for God's sake, didn't have dugouts. So we huddled in our two vans when we were at bat. They called the second game after 2 innings. So more than a game standing in right field in the sleet.

That WAS fun. And to make is worse even more still.....My only hit was in the 2nd inning of game 2 so it was washed out with the game.

Comment

Coldest I ever was was playing at Sacred Heart in Fairfield, CT in the sleet, standing out in right field, my freshman year in college. That was April, 1977.
                          What was worse is that it was a doubleheader. Sacred Heart, who was the division 2 national champs at the time for God's sake, didn't have dugouts. So we huddled in our two vans when we were at bat. They called the second game after 2 innings. So more than a game standing in right field in the sleet.

That WAS fun. And to make is worse even more still.....My only hit was in the 2nd inning of game 2 so it was washed out with the game.
                          Nothing quite like the feeling you get in your hands when you fail to square one up with a metal baseball bat in 40 degree weather.
                          sigpic Verbally I'm untouchable like Eliot Ness.

Comment

So our bull pen hasn't given up a run in over 24 innings now.

Pitching is saving our bacon.

Comment

So our bull pen hasn't given up a run in over 24 innings now.

Pitching is saving our bacon.
                              Porcello certainly isn't saving your bacon with an ERA over 5.00. At least he isn't Tanaka kind of bad.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG88 View Post
                                Porcello certainly isn't saving your bacon with an ERA over 5.00. At least he isn't Tanaka kind of bad.
                                Porcello is throwing batting practice right now. That's what happens when you're a sinker ball pitcher and your sinker ball doesn't sink.

Comment

Working...
                                X