Manning/Warner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manning/Warner

Not sure how many remember the Giants signed Kurt Warner before the 2004 season at same time drafted Eli. Manning mentored under Warner the 2004 season as Warner started the first half of season as Manning watched from the sideline. Manning could not have had a better mentor.

Originally posted by par404 View Post
    Not sure how many remember the Giants signed Kurt Warner before the 2004 season at same time drafted Eli. Manning mentored under Warner the 2004 season as Warner started the first half of season as Manning watched from the sideline. Manning could not have had a better mentor.
    I can't resist playing devil's advocate - Manning was terrible his only year with Warner.

Comment

I don't see the same situation playing out with Manning being another QBs mentor because he's been a Giant his whole life. I'm not sure what Warner was told when he signed with the Giants but he was only with us for a year. Eli is more like Favre in resisting being a backup. Eli even said something akin to this last year - "my job isn't being a mentor".

Kurt Warner was something special. It's impossible to find guys with his level of class and accuracy, that's why he's a Hall of Famer.

Comment

IMO....Kurt Warner has/had very little to do with how Eli started and continued his career. Not a knock on Warner it just how the situation was.
        "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

I remember some guy on here named KurtsBumThumb or something like that. He wasnt too kind on Warner, who IMO got shafted pretty good that year. I think he was 5-2 before they pulled him for Eli. Anyone ever notice on NFL Network how Kurt always throws shade on the Giants?

Comment

Originally posted by pjsreal View Post
            I remember some guy on here named KurtsBumThumb or something like that. He wasnt too kind on Warner, who IMO got shafted pretty good that year. I think he was 5-2 before they pulled him for Eli. Anyone ever notice on NFL Network how Kurt always throws shade on the Giants?
            Yeah it was a good situation to be in as far as the team was concerned, bad for the players. Had to give the reigns over to up and coming Eli at some point, but yeah I can understand Kurt's frustration. He still had enough left in the tank to take the team to the superbowl as he showed with the Cardinals, and it does seem like he still holds a grudge.

Comment

They lost the last 2 with Kurt and went 5-4 before TC gave him the hook to preserve his life. He did not get shafted.

Comment

Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post

They lost the last 2 with Kurt and went 5-4 before TC gave him the hook to preserve his life. He did not get shafted.
                You're right, Warner did have 5-4 record before the change. As far as the shafting though I have to stand strongly by that opinion, shafted in the sense that the Giants said "Thank you but you're done here now" and at that point we still had a winning record, and that's coming off a dismal 4-12 season previously. One could argue that the stage had been set already based on the drafting of Eli but in a way Coughlin opted for a mid season "rebuild" vs letting Kurt finish out what could have still been a playoff run. That's a pretty clear shafting in my book. Kurt was a professional about it but make no mistake, he didnt want to take that seat.

Comment

You're right, Warner did have 5-4 record before the change. As far as the shafting though I have to stand strongly by that opinion, shafted in the sense that the Giants said "Thank you but you're done here now" and at that point we still had a winning record, and that's coming off a dismal 4-12 season previously. One could argue that the stage had been set already based on the drafting of Eli but in a way Coughlin opted for a mid season "rebuild" vs letting Kurt finish out what could have still been a playoff run. That's a pretty clear shafting in my book. Kurt was a professional about it but make no mistake, he didnt want to take that seat.
                  I would suggest you reconsider:

Warner's last 4 games:

Loss 23/34 for 270 with 1 TD, 1 INTs 3 fumbles and 6 sacks
                  Win 13/21 for 144 with 0 TD, 0 INTs 3 fumbles and 5 sacks
                  Loss 18/36 for 195 with 1 TD, 2 INTs 2 fumbles and 7 sacks
                  Loss 19/39 for 193 with 1 TD 0 INT's 0 fumbles and 6 sacks

#1 pick on the sidelines...this is an easy call to make for a QB you hired as a temp
                  "I hire my brains"...Horace Trumbauer

Comment

Originally posted by Delicreep View Post

Warner's last 4 games:

#1 pick on the sidelines...this is an easy call to make for a QB you hired as a temp
                    As we venture into the world of magic 8 balls, subjectivity and grey area I don't think anyone could say either way what would have happened. He obviously wasnt shot as a QB at that point being that he lead another team to the SB only a couple years later. And if stats tell a story then I have to add the 4 games preceding the ones you mentioned...
                    Sun September 19 1:04PM ET boxscore W 1-1 Washington Redskins
                    Sun September 26 1:02PM ET boxscore W 2-1 Cleveland Browns
                    Sun October 3 1:02PM ET boxscore W 3-1 @ Green Bay Packers
                    Sun October 10 1:03PM ET boxscore W 4-1 @ Dallas Cowboys
                    And being that the two wildcard spots were filled by 8-8 teams that year, it's very possible that the Giants could have strung together a few more wins and actually got in. Let's remember he started that year as the starter. So I've got to stand by my shafted opinion. I'm not saying it was a bad decision but he felt that he could have taken the Giants to the playoffs. He respected the way Coughlin told him his time was up here and was a professional about it but make no mistake, he felt that long and cold shaft. He's a hall of famer.
                    Last edited by pjsreal; 04-10-2018, 06:20 PM.

Comment

As we venture into the world of magic 8 balls, subjectivity and grey area I don't think anyone could say either way what would have happened. He obviously wasnt shot as a QB at that point being that he lead another team to the SB only a couple years later. And if stats tell a story then I have to add the 4 games preceding the ones you mentioned...
                      Sun September 19 1:04PM ET boxscore W 1-1 Washington Redskins
                      Sun September 26 1:02PM ET boxscore W 2-1 Cleveland Browns
                      Sun October 3 1:02PM ET boxscore W 3-1 @ Green Bay Packers
                      Sun October 10 1:03PM ET boxscore W 4-1 @ Dallas Cowboys
                      And being that the two wildcard spots were filled by 8-8 teams that year, it's very possible that the Giants could have strung together a few more wins and actually got in. Let's remember he started that year as the starter. So I've got to stand by my shafted opinion. I'm not saying it was a bad decision but he felt that he could have taken the Giants to the playoffs. He respected the way Coughlin told him his time was up here and was a professional about it but make no mistake, he felt that long and cold shaft. He's a hall of famer.
                      Warner wasn't hired to be the starter...he was hired to warm a seat*. He knew this, and because of his injury, he had no other options.

He made one of the most epic career comebacks, but the plan was never for him to make that comeback with us.

He was on a leash from second 1, and given the last 4 games he played, the smart move for the team was to try and go another way. You cannot have the #1 pick on he sidelines while a QB turns in those performances and say, "let's wait and see if he turns it around". You put the new guy in and don't look back.

Warner was absolutely, 100% a professional when he was here, and he was great with Eli - no question.
                      We take that QB a #2, and if Eli struggles, he will know exactly what Warner felt.

*The Giants made great sacrifices to get Eli, and it wasn't to sit on the bench.
                      "I hire my brains"...Horace Trumbauer

Comment

Warner wasn't hired to be the starter...he was hired to warm a seat*. He knew this, and because of his injury, he had no other options.

He made one of the most epic career comebacks, but the plan was never for him to make that comeback with us.

He was on a leash from second 1, and given the last 4 games he played, the smart move for the team was to try and go another way. You cannot have the #1 pick on he sidelines while a QB turns in those performances and say, "let's wait and see if he turns it around". You put the new guy in and don't look back.

Warner was absolutely, 100% a professional when he was here, and he was great with Eli - no question.
                        We take that QB a #2, and if Eli struggles, he will know exactly what Warner felt.

*The Giants made great sacrifices to get Eli, and it wasn't to sit on the bench.
                        He actually got a small taste of that last year. The irony is Warner was darn near outraged over Eli's benching. Here's Kurt's take on his own benching in 04.

Comment

Warner was not shafted here. The guy was getting his head kicked in because we could not keep him upright. We were not playing well as a team and Warner was not going to be back the next year. Why keep him in there getting killed for no gain? Warner is a super classy guy though, I really like him. Heck of a football player too.
                          LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                          "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Warner's last 4 games:

24 sacks in 4 games! Tells me we had a pretty bad pass pro OL.

Comment

Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post

24 sacks in 4 games! Tells me we had a pretty bad pass pro OL.
                              Here’s the million dollar question. Better or worst then last years line?

Comment

Working...
                              X