Why did the giants draft Ron dyane?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did the giants draft Ron dyane?

I always find it interesting to look back at the history of draft picks. I was reading somewhere that Dyane was not a good fit for the giants at the time because the giants did not run a zone blocking scheme. Why did EA draft a player that wouldn't fit their scheme?
    [SIGPIC]

Thunder and Lightning sounded real nice.

Comment

He was extremely productive in college and was a 260 pound back. In the 1990s big backs were what was in fashion and overvalued (in my opinion). Tiki was on the team but he wasn't really used his first few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue_ToThe_Bone View Post
        He was extremely productive in college and was a 260 pound back. In the 1990s big backs were what was in fashion and overvalued (in my opinion). Tiki was on the team but he wasn't really used his first few years.
        Of course he was one of the best college backs of all time. But if he he had so much success in the zone blocking scheme why did the giants not try to change their scheme to fit him?
        [SIGPIC]

Comment

The Giants ruined any shot Ron Dayne had, like many players that come to the Giants they want them to adjust to the Giants and don't make effort to adapt for the talent. Biggest loser of all was Mac A Doodle, tried to make Cruz a wide out when he was a natural slot receiver, tried to teach Eli new footwork after he had been playing for like 40 years, Split Marshall out so wide he might as well have got a beer and a hot dog when his strength was his size, line him up just off the tackle run up and box out d back or quick slant. Hopefully Shumer is a change from the past with all this talent on the team.
          Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

Comment

Ron Dayne was supposed to be the short yardage goal line monster, but all he did was add fuel to Tiki's fire..

Consider this possibility.....If Ron Dayne isn't drafted, then Tiki becomes complacent due to lack of competition and does not turn into the player he was....

Ron Dayne was far from a bust, but he was over drafted.....He had a better career than a few other first round picks we had. let's not forget, he won a heisman trophy, so you can't be mad at the pick

Andre Williams was the same crap.
            Long Live the King

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
              Ron Dayne was supposed to be the short yardage goal line monster, but all he did was add fuel to Tiki's fire..

Consider this possibility.....If Ron Dayne isn't drafted, then Tiki becomes complacent due to lack of competition and does not turn into the player he was....

Ron Dayne was far from a bust, but he was over drafted.....He had a better career than a few other first round picks we had. let's not forget, he won a heisman trophy, so you can't be mad at the pick

Interesting way to look at it . From the angle you took that draft pick is justifiable .
              "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

I was 12 when the giants picked him. I remember being excited. But why draft him if he doesn't fit your scheme? That's like drafting a read option qb for a TC style offense.
                [SIGPIC]

Comment

Wasn't Shaun Alexander drafted after Dayne ??
                  I think he was an early pick

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluejeep8888 View Post

I was 12 when the giants picked him. I remember being excited. But why draft him if he doesn't fit your scheme? That's like drafting a read option qb for a TC style offense.
                    Ron Dayne was more Tom Coughlins style than Tiki. Think about the type of RB's TC has drafted. Leonard Fournette is closer to the role of a Ron Dayne and Andre Williams......It appears that TC finally got it right.

He loves the power I run heavy offense. Pound the ball..... So Ron Dayne was a scheme fit, but again, Tiki Barber was having none of that.

Imagine if next year we drafted a Brandon Jennings type player......Well when you have a Saquon Barkley, then every other RB on the roster seems like crap.

it's all relative
                    Long Live the King

Comment

Ron Dayne was more Tom Coughlins style than Tiki. Think about the type of RB's TC has drafted. Leonard Fournette is closer to the role of a Ron Dayne and Andre Williams......It appears that TC finally got it right.

He loves the power I run heavy offense. Pound the ball..... So Ron Dayne was a scheme fit, but again, Tiki Barber was having none of that.

Imagine if next year we drafted a Brandon jennings type player......Well when you have a Saquon Barkley, then every other RB on the roser seems like crap.

it's all relative
                      TC wasn't even on the staff when Dayne was drafted

Comment

When he came out in 2000 he had a number of awards and was supposed to be one of the top backs if not the top backs. He had won the Heisman and was All-American. I think the Giants fell in love with his potential and the potential of what he could do with Tiki Barber in the backfield. Tiki Barber had just had a big year in 1999 and originally when he was drafted, was supposed to be that Dave Meggett type guy for Rodney Hampton, who was still playing when he was drafted in 1997. I think they saw a combination that they liked but it never panned out. Dayne just didn't live up to his perceived potential and had a mediocre career during a time when most teams had a 1000 yard back.

Comment

also I think there was a lot of busts in that 2000 Draft if I recall

Comment

Because he was the HT winner lol
                            Football has been very, very good to us.
                            After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                            But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                            2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                            3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                            4-New York Giants!!!
                            5-NE
                            Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Working...
                            X