Jerry Reese v Dave Gettleman Resume

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Reese v Dave Gettleman Resume

A poster who shall remain nameless for lack of humiliation just said Dave Gettleman is a better GM than Jerry Reese. Let me state for the record Reese did in fact need to go, the entire management team and coaching staff should have been let go when Coughlin was fired. However the idea that Gettleman is a genius compared to Reese is laughable.

Reese - 2 SB Titles, 91-85 regular season, 8-2 playoffs

Gettleman - 51-28-1, 3-4 playoffs

Carolina RBs averaged 3.6 YPC last season running behind the Hog Mollies Gettleman assembled there over the years. One of those RBs is now a Giant. The other was selected high in Round 1 by Gettleman last year.

Reese's "2 SB Titles" were the result of a HOF coach and QB taking a slightly above average roster and overachieving. He did not, in my opinion, assemble a championship roster during the SB years.

I agree, though, that it is hard to say that Gettleman is better at this point given his limited resume ....

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
      Reese's "2 SB Titles" were the result of a HOF coach and QB taking a slightly above average roster and overachieving. He did not, in my opinion, assemble a championship roster during the SB years.

I agree, though, that it is hard to say that Gettleman is better at this point given his limited resume ....
      The HOF Coach became a HOF coach w/the Giants as a result of the accomplishments he had with Reese. He was nowhere near the HOF for his tenure as a coach up through 2006 with the Jags and the Accorsi Giants. And I agree Reese inherited a good situation. So did Gettleman in Carolina with Cam, Smith, Olsen, Keuchley, Davis, Norman, etc. He tore apart the secondary and tore apart a SB contender after their 15-1 season. And unlike Reese his team never got over the hump.

Comment

Reese had very little to do with 1 of those superbowls

Comment

Originally posted by StrahanTheMan View Post
          Reese had more to do with not even properly building a playoff caliber team for several years than 2 SB runs off the backs of Eli and TC.

Comment

I think this is a difficult comparison at this time.

Let's see what DG does over the next decade before trying to draw conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by StrahanTheMan View Post
              I disagree, Reese made his bones as a scout, then moved up the ladder in the player personnel ranks. He had a hand in who Accorsi brought in. Just like anything else, it takes a team.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueTradeEli View Post

The HOF Coach became a HOF coach w/the Giants as a result of the accomplishments he had with Reese. He was nowhere near the HOF for his tenure as a coach up through 2006 with the Jags and the Accorsi Giants. And I agree Reese inherited a good situation. So did Gettleman in Carolina with Cam, Smith, Olsen, Keuchley, Davis, Norman, etc. He tore apart the secondary and tore apart a SB contender after their 15-1 season. And unlike Reese his team never got over the hump.
                Gettleman didnít want to overpay an overrated cb, not exactly a bad idea. He didnít want to pay an aging WR in Smith either. Canít say I hate those moves. He drafted a stout dl and put some nice pieces on the ol. The panthers were a middle of the road team before he got there, he added some pieces that put them over the top. Donít see a problem with that.

Comment

Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post

Reese had more to do with not even properly building a playoff caliber team for several years than 2 SB runs off the backs of Eli and TC.
                  People are so inconsistent in their assessments. So let me get this straight. Coughlin and Eli were with the Giants from 2004-2006 and won 0 playoff games, Reese was named GM and they win 2 SBs from 2007-2011, then they fall apart from 2012-2015 with the 3 of them there. So Reese gets no credit for the good years they had together and he gets the blame for the bad years they had together? ROFLMAO The Jury has found you guilty.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfam04 View Post

Gettleman didnít want to overpay an overrated cb, not exactly a bad idea. He didnít want to pay an aging WR in Smith either. Canít say I hate those moves. He drafted a stout dl and put some nice pieces on the ol. The panthers were a middle of the road team before he got there, he added some pieces that put them over the top. Donít see a problem with that.
                    The Giants did not win a playoff game prior to Reese arriving and then won the SB. And if you want to toss credit for 07, he won the SB again in 2011. I'll take 1 SB over Gettleman's Carolina tenure, Reese won 2 SBs. Reese is 2 SBs ahead of Gettleman, Gettleman needs to win 1 to even be in the room to discuss their careers in the same breath.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

I'll take the bait. This is revisionist history at its worst. Reese was the director of personnel under Accorsi, then took the helm in 2007 which had the best year 1 performance of any Giants rookie class ever!

2008 roster was, by and large the same team that won the SB in 2007 and the Giants were dominant in 2008 even though the went flat at the end.

Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to ďbeat the market,Ē no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasnít stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

How did Gettelman tear the secondary apart? Other than not overpaying Norman I don't recall him actively dismantling the secondary in Carolina. But in fairness I don't follow Carrion that closely.

As far as Carolina being a SB contender, they certainly were in the SB. How much they competed is another story.

Comment

People are so inconsistent in their assessments. So let me get this straight. Coughlin and Eli were with the Giants from 2004-2006 and won 0 playoff games, Reese was named GM and they win 2 SBs from 2007-2011, then they fall apart from 2012-2015 with the 3 of them there. So Reese gets no credit for the good years they had together and he gets the blame for the bad years they had together? ROFLMAO The Jury has found you guilty.
                          +1
                          Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to ďbeat the market,Ē no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasnít stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

The Giants did not win a playoff game prior to Reese arriving and then won the SB. And if you want to toss credit for 07, he won the SB again in 2011. I'll take 1 SB over Gettleman's Carolina tenure, Reese won 2 SBs. Reese is 2 SBs ahead of Gettleman, Gettleman needs to win 1 to even be in the room to discuss their careers in the same breath.
                            I agree.

That said there are plenty of very good GMs whom have never won a SB and some mediocre ones that have. As someone said above, it takes a team in all cases. I'd no sooner consider the SB wins to be entirely Reese's than I would consider them entirely Coughlins' or Mannings'.

Reese was the GM for those two SB wins and was the head of scouting prior to that. Both of those SBs wins go to his record, no question.

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

I'll take the bait. This is revisionist history at its worst. Reese was the director of personnel under Accorsi, then took the helm in 2007 which had the best year 1 performance of any Giants rookie class ever!

2008 roster was, by and large the same team that won the SB in 2007 and the Giants were dominant in 2008 even though the went flat at the end.
                              This.

Comment

Working...
                              X