Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerry Reese v Dave Gettleman Resume

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by StrahanTheMan View Post
    Reese had very little to do with 1 of those superbowls
    Before taking the mantle of GM Reese was the Giants Director of Personnel for 4 seasons, before that he was a pro scout for 7 seasons and a college scout for 3 season....but yeah, he didn't do much.

    24 years in the organization...this is partially why Reese was closer to Mara and why Mara felt obligated to give Reese another shot to climb out of the hole that he did not give to TC.

    20+ years of service earned him a get out of jail free card.

    Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

      I'll take the bait. This is revisionist history at its worst. Reese was the director of personnel under Accorsi, then took the helm in 2007 which had the best year 1 performance of any Giants rookie class ever!

      2008 roster was, by and large the same team that won the SB in 2007 and the Giants were dominant in 2008 even though the went flat at the end.
      We are talking about GM records. For JR's pre-GM tenure it is impossible to figure our what moves Reese was responsible for (if any) and what moves Accorsi was responsible for.

      Look at the 2007 rookie class again. They made significant contributions in year 1, but it did not turn out to be much of a class.

      The 2008 team was better than the 2007 team, but in my opinion, championship teams do not fall apart when they lose one WR.

      Even if you are correct, Reese did nothing for the final 10 years of his tenure.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by BigBlueTradeEli View Post

        People are so inconsistent in their assessments. So let me get this straight. Coughlin and Eli were with the Giants from 2004-2006 and won 0 playoff games, Reese was named GM and they win 2 SBs from 2007-2011, then they fall apart from 2012-2015 with the 3 of them there. So Reese gets no credit for the good years they had together and he gets the blame for the bad years they had together? ROFLMAO The Jury has found you guilty.
        4 playoff appearances in 11 years is a sign of a GM who cannot put together a competent franchise even though he inherited a HOF QB. Half his work was already literally done. His teams were almost always flawed and teams with no franchise QB were beating us, which is embarrassing like much of his tenure.
        Last edited by EliDaMANning; 05-16-2018, 04:03 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          I hope Gettleman does a good job, but a lot of the same critiques of Reese, ie inheriting the key parts of the team, is the same thing Gettleman had in Carolina. Gettleman inherited a franchise QB entering his prime, a franchise WR, a franchise corner, the 2nd or 3rd best TE in football, one of the top LB units in football, and a stout Dline.

          He did a good job finding 2 good Gs outside of Round 1 while in Carolina. I don't see much beyond those 2 players to sound an alarm about. And Carolina was not a good running team. Cam Newton had 750 yards on 5.4 YPC. Their backs had 1300 yards rushing on 3.8 YPC. That was well into his tenure with his Oline and RBs in place. He talks the talk regarding running. I guess he hopes people ignore that Cam Newton's legs were what led to their success. Eli Manning ranked dead last in the NFL in rushing yards, about 800 yards behind Cam. He's not getting those yards here.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by BigBlueTradeEli View Post

            The Giants did not win a playoff game prior to Reese arriving and then won the SB. And if you want to toss credit for 07, he won the SB again in 2011. I'll take 1 SB over Gettleman's Carolina tenure, Reese won 2 SBs. Reese is 2 SBs ahead of Gettleman, Gettleman needs to win 1 to even be in the room to discuss their careers in the same breath.
            What the hell does anything you said have to do with my post? Do you just type random responses for the sake of arguing? In my response to you did I take any credit away from Reese? Did I at any point say Gettleman was more successful? Reading comprehension brother, try it.

            Comment


            • #21
              Gettelman has no resume yet as a Giants GM...

              Reese hit on some good picks and he was the GM for 2 SBs regardless of Acorsi.

              If the Giants didnt get any SBs you would be blaming Reese....



              "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

              ​​​​​​ -Jesse James

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by giantsfam04 View Post

                What the hell does anything you said have to do with my post? Do you just type random responses for the sake of arguing? In my response to you did I take any credit away from Reese? Did I at any point say Gettleman was more successful? Reading comprehension brother, try it.
                Your post mentioned the situation Gettleman took over, you said he added some nice pieces and put them over the top. My response compared Reese to him in that same regard, the situation Reese inherited. This is a Reese v Gettleman thread and you only mentioned Gettleman's positives, within context I would take that to mean you favor him.

                If I made a thread about Coke v Pepsi and you only mentioned the positives of Coke, should I take it to mean you favor Pepsi? I must have missed this part of reading comprehension 101.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by BigBlueTradeEli View Post

                  Your post mentioned the situation Gettleman took over, you said he added some nice pieces and put them over the top. My response compared Reese to him in that same regard, the situation Reese inherited. This is a Reese v Gettleman thread and you only mentioned Gettleman's positives, within context I would take that to mean you favor him.

                  If I made a thread about Coke v Pepsi and you only mentioned the positives of Coke, should I take it to mean you favor Pepsi? I must have missed this part of reading comprehension 101.
                  again you missed the point but hey what ever helps you sleep at night b

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by BigBlueTradeEli View Post

                    Your post mentioned the situation Gettleman took over, you said he added some nice pieces and put them over the top. My response compared Reese to him in that same regard, the situation Reese inherited. This is a Reese v Gettleman thread and you only mentioned Gettleman's positives, within context I would take that to mean you favor him.

                    If I made a thread about Coke v Pepsi and you only mentioned the positives of Coke, should I take it to mean you favor Pepsi? I must have missed this part of reading comprehension 101.
                    What is your point. Do you want to get rid of DG because he didn’t draft a QB?
                    Engage brain before speaking.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      The OP is really making this harder than it is.

                      The Offensive Line is the heartbeat of your football team.

                      Bad eye for O-Line = Bad GM

                      Jerry Reese = Bad eye for O-Line

                      Jerry Reese = Bad GM

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        How can the 2 be compared at this point. Dave has not even had a chance to prove his worth .

                        I will say this JR did have his hands in both runs. With Drafts and FA.

                        From what I have seen from Dave . I like so far.
                        "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by BigBlueTradeEli View Post
                          I hope Gettleman does a good job, but a lot of the same critiques of Reese, ie inheriting the key parts of the team, is the same thing Gettleman had in Carolina. Gettleman inherited a franchise QB entering his prime, a franchise WR, a franchise corner, the 2nd or 3rd best TE in football, one of the top LB units in football, and a stout Dline.

                          He did a good job finding 2 good Gs outside of Round 1 while in Carolina. I don't see much beyond those 2 players to sound an alarm about. And Carolina was not a good running team. Cam Newton had 750 yards on 5.4 YPC. Their backs had 1300 yards rushing on 3.8 YPC. That was well into his tenure with his Oline and RBs in place. He talks the talk regarding running. I guess he hopes people ignore that Cam Newton's legs were what led to their success. Eli Manning ranked dead last in the NFL in rushing yards, about 800 yards behind Cam. He's not getting those yards here.
                          Newton's legs had to lead them to success. HIs arm wasn't gonna do it.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

                            We are talking about GM records. For JR's pre-GM tenure it is impossible to figure our what moves Reese was responsible for (if any) and what moves Accorsi was responsible for.

                            Look at the 2007 rookie class again. They made significant contributions in year 1, but it did not turn out to be much of a class.

                            The 2008 team was better than the 2007 team, but in my opinion, championship teams do not fall apart when they lose one WR.

                            Even if you are correct, Reese did nothing for the final 10 years of his tenure.
                            Find another team that won a Super Bowl with those many rookies taking snaps during the playoff run and in the Super Bowl.

                            History doesn't support your claim:
                            1. Aaron Ross - played well rookie year; it's agreed that he struggled the rest of his career. Definitely not good value for a 1st round pick- 20th overall, but he made key plays and played good ball during our Super Bowl run. The goal is to draft players that put your team in position to win Super Bowls- goal accomplished.
                            2. Steve Smith- A great player that got injured with no pre-existing health problems.
                            3. Jay Alford: A unknown player whose play was on the upswing that also had a career-ending injury.
                            4. Zack DeOssie- Career Special teams stand out; decent value for a 4th rounder- still on the team- 10 years and counting.
                            5. Kevin Boss- Baller- hands like crazy glue; took too many hits but great value for 5th rd and had 4 good seasons with us.
                            6. Michael Johnson- Played good ball his rookie year then JR drafted Kenny Phillips in 2008. Turning a position of competency into a position of strength. Score!
                            7. Ahmad Bradshaw- Best 7th rounder in the history of the Giants; ran behind some awful lines in his last years with us. He balled in Indy too after he left the Giants; really bad ankles. He had offseason surgery every year- no exaggeration...well not much anyway.
                            GMs can't be held accountable for injuries that didn't stem from pre-existing conditions. Give credit where credit is due.

                            Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

                            http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by ETMF999 View Post
                              The OP is really making this harder than it is.

                              The Offensive Line is the heartbeat of your football team.

                              Bad eye for O-Line = Bad GM

                              Jerry Reese = Bad eye for O-Line

                              Jerry Reese = Bad GM
                              We won a Super Bowl with a mediocre offensive line. I agree that a line is important, but Jerry accomplished his ultimate goal, so his formula worked. I don't think that formula is sustainable and that is why JR lost his job.
                              Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

                              http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                We won a SB in 2011 with a bad line, but the line played well in the playoffs. Gilbride's offense never looked better than it did that year.

                                Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

                                http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X