Linebackers.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Linebackers.......

[quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="jomo"][quote user="myles2424"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="myles2424"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all.[/quote] if goff is resigned we don't need a lb? Goff has always been average & now he's coming off IR...and we literally have no SLB[/quote] Goff was above Avg the yr before this past season, and was ready to really explode before the injury... I'm not saying we shoulden't draft a LB if the Value is there, but if its not, then we should by all means re-sign John Goff, and let him continue to be a run thumping force...[/quote] goff was above average? I must be missing something ....[/quote]I am missing the same thing.[/quote]+1, Goff was never an "above average" LB.[/quote]
    When it came to stuffing the run, which was/is Goff's job in this defense, 2010 Goff was in the top-5 in the league.

Also, I disagree that we don't have a SLB. Greg Jones was a natural SAM in college

[/quote]

Comment

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="Voldamort"][quote user="Spizi"]it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!![/quote] CAN HE HIT LIKE Patrick willis?[/quote]He doesnt tackle or have instincts like him[/quote]C'mon fellas, your putting Patrick Willis in the same company as Zach Brown? C'mon man[/quote]Im not Brown is a way better athlete then Football player[/quote]

So was JPP.... how'd that turn out? just sayin.

Everyone knows Reese loves defensive athletic specimens in the first so I wouldn't rule out Brown even though he isn't a great football player right now. he is still a solid football player so don't take that away from him.

Comment

[quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="jomo"][quote user="myles2424"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="myles2424"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all.[/quote] if goff is resigned we don't need a lb? Goff has always been average & now he's coming off IR...and we literally have no SLB[/quote] Goff was above Avg the yr before this past season, and was ready to really* explode before the injury...* I'm not saying we shoulden't draft a LB if the Value is there, but if its not, then we should by all means re-sign John Goff, and let him continue to be a run thumping force...[/quote] goff was above average? I must be missing something ....[/quote]I am missing the same thing.[/quote]+1, Goff was never an "above average" LB.[/quote]

When it came to stuffing the run, which was/is Goff's job in this defense, 2010 Goff was in the top-5 in the league.

His biggest problem was dropping in coverage, a problem it looked like he had rectified in preseason (if you all remember, Goff was dropping into coverage very smoothly).

Also, I disagree that we don't have a SLB. Greg Jones was a natural SAM in college, as was Mark Herzlich. Considering the SAM and MIKE 'backers are part-time positions in this defense (as it stands now. Luke Kuechly, a 100% Herzlich, or Audie Cole (or another like one of them, I don't feel like typing out a bunch of names) could change that, and reduce the amount of snaps in the nickle), between Jones, Goff, Herz, and Kiwi (and Adrian Tracy), I think they can man all 3 linebacker positions just fine.

Might not be stacked with all-pros, but considering what they had put up almost historic numbers against some of the best offenses in history, I'm not concerned.

[/quote] regardless of wishful thinking......you should always look to upgrade your weaker positions & nobody can argue that our LBs are a strong point.....

Comment

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="Voldamort"][quote user="Spizi"]it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!![/quote] CAN HE HIT LIKE Patrick willis?[/quote]He doesnt tackle or have instincts like him[/quote]C'mon fellas, your putting Patrick Willis in the same company as Zach Brown? C'mon man[/quote]Im not Brown is a way better athlete then Football player[/quote]

Everyone knows Reese loves defensive athletic specimens in the first so I wouldn't rule out Brown even though he isn't a great football player right now. he is still a solid football player so don't take that away from him.[/quote]I don't think the Giants have Zach Brown rated as high as other teams would on their Big Board. As far as the JPP talk, I was talking about him before anybody on here even much knew who he was. Not trying to toot my own horn, just saying. If these Mods could go back and bring those threads up that would be awesome. I'm far from an analyst or scout like some people on here but JPP was no secret down here in Florida. I guess I just got lucky when I started calling him out and making numerous threads on him. I really took notice of JPP when USF played FSU up in Tallahassee. The f**** guy was unstoppable that day. Then TC was down here for his Pro Day & seemed to be really into him. I think a couple weeks after that, JPP got an invite from the Giants for either a personal workout or interview (can't remember). Remember this much, when TC shows up, it's means something and it's for real.

Comment

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="Voldamort"][quote user="Spizi"]it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!![/quote] CAN HE HIT LIKE Patrick willis?[/quote]He doesnt tackle or have instincts like him[/quote]C'mon fellas, your putting Patrick Willis in the same company as Zach Brown? C'mon man[/quote]Im not Brown is a way better athlete then Football player[/quote] So was JPP.... how'd that turn out? just sayin. Everyone knows Reese loves defensive athletic specimens in the first so I wouldn't rule out Brown even though he isn't a great football player right now. he is still a solid football player so don't take that away from him.[/quote] He cant get of blocks and he doesnt tackle well. He is great if your able to keep him clean.

Comment

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="Voldamort"][quote user="Spizi"]it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!![/quote] CAN HE HIT LIKE Patrick willis?[/quote]He doesnt tackle or have instincts like him[/quote]C'mon fellas, your putting Patrick Willis in the same company as Zach Brown? C'mon man[/quote]Im not Brown is a way better athlete then Football player[/quote] So was JPP.... how'd that turn out? just sayin. Everyone knows Reese loves defensive athletic specimens in the first so I wouldn't rule out Brown even though he isn't a great football player right now. he is still a solid football player so don't take that away from him.[/quote]* He cant get of blocks and he doesnt tackle well. He is great if your able to keep him clean.[/quote]

With LJ, Canty, JPP, and Tuck in front of him, he has the potential to be exactly that: great. He may not be a GREAT tackler, but he did rack up 105 tackles this year, 3 INTs, 13.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 4 PDs, and 3 FFs. That's pretty damn good for a guy who is considered more of an athlete than a polished football player.

All I'm saying is that he seems like a Reese pick
              -Big
              -Atheltic
              -Potential

Comment

[quote user="myles2424"]Ok it's no secret we've all been waiting on a game changing captain of the D LB......
                There's a few interesting OLBs, but most seem to be WLBs to me.....other than Kuechly,I'm not to excited about any of the MLbs....
                Who do you think can play the middle? Who can play SLB and be a every down LB?
                Here's a lost off the top of my head, id like to see a list in order of who you think would fit in our system & at which spot....

1.Kuechly
                2.Brown
                3.Burfict
                4.Ronell Lewis
                5.Donta hightower
                6.lavonte David
                7.Bobby Wagner
                8.Sean spence
                9.tank carder
                10.Danny trevathan

Feel free to add anyone I've forgotten....[/quote]The list is nice,can they start right now?

Comment

[quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="jomo"][quote user="myles2424"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="myles2424"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all.[/quote] if goff is resigned we don't need a lb? Goff has always been average & now he's coming off IR...and we literally have no SLB[/quote] Goff was above Avg the yr before this past season, and was ready to really explode before the injury... I'm not saying we shoulden't draft a LB if the Value is there, but if its not, then we should by all means re-sign John Goff, and let him continue to be a run thumping force...[/quote] goff was above average? I must be missing something ....[/quote]I am missing the same thing.[/quote]+1, Goff was never an "above average" LB.[/quote]

Also, I disagree that we don't have a SLB. Greg Jones was a natural SAM in college

[/quote][/quote] Goff was one of the absoulute best LB's in football against the run, and even though hes not that good against the pass, he still made a few nice plays against the pass every once in awhile.. 80tackle 1ff 1fr 1sack 7tfl 2pd is pretty darn solid...

Comment

[quote user="pica01"]I'm stunned.What does Chase Blackburn gotta do to get some love from you guys?He's my MLB the next 2 years while the 4 young lb's we have develope.Not to mention he's our best special team player.An everydown MLB?Well,Blackburn's interceptions of Rodger's and Brady 50 yards downfield were pretty impressive.His average of 10 tackles per game after returning cold turkey.Not good enough?That fumble return to the 4?Game changer.Maybe he's not Ray lewis in his prime,but he's solid and was a godsend who turned this D around.We have a leader and gamechanger already at MLB.His name is Chase Blackburn.We drew an inside strait when he returned.Now you want to fold?Comeon guys,give Blackburn some love.[/quote]

I love Blackburn! But I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Hightower @ 32 to groom for 2013. The dude looks like an absolute beast. He doesn't tackle, he inflicts pain!

Comment

I thought that Kuechly vid against Clemson would bring some chatter. Showed a lack of athleticism in pass coverage

Comment

[quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="Voldamort"][quote user="Spizi"]it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!![/quote] CAN HE HIT LIKE Patrick willis?[/quote]He doesnt tackle or have instincts like him[/quote]C'mon fellas, your putting Patrick Willis in the same company as Zach Brown? C'mon man[/quote]Im not Brown is a way better athlete then Football player[/quote]

Everyone knows Reese loves defensive athletic specimens in the first so I wouldn't rule out Brown even though he isn't a great football player right now. he is still a solid football player so don't take that away from him.[/quote]I don't think the Giants have Zach Brown rated as high as other teams would on their Big Board. As far as the JPP talk, I was talking about him before anybody on here even much knew who he was. Not trying to toot my own horn, just saying. If these Mods could go back and bring those threads up that would be awesome. I'm far from an analyst or scout like some people on here but JPP was no secret down here in Florida. I guess I just got lucky when I started calling him out and making numerous threads on him. I really took notice of JPP when USF played FSU up in Tallahassee. The f**** guy was unstoppable that day. Then TC was down here for his Pro Day & seemed to be really into him. I think a couple weeks after that, JPP got an invite from the Giants for either a personal workout or interview (can't remember). Remember this much, when TC shows up, it's means something and it's for real.
                        [/quote]

i didn't know who JPP was until I saw him play Rutgers. Dude was a monster, and I remember saying who is this kid

I think our linebackers will be fine next year.

Goff / Herz / Blackburn - Mike

Boley / J. Williams - Will

Kiwi / G. Jones SAM

Paysinger - Looked good in pre-season

Sintim's time is up IMO so maybe a replacement for him

Comment

Anyone that thinks were fine at LB needs to wake up.....
                          The only two Lbs at this point that have earned any credit are boley & Williams, and neither did anything amazing....
                          Goff is average and fresh off IR...
                          Herz is a great story,but has to earn his spot like everyone else,the playing time he saw this year he didn't look too hot....
                          Blackburn,stepped up a few games...but he needs to prove himself all over again,...
                          Kiwi is DE...
                          Jones did not look good at any point this season ( I was a huge fan of his in college)
                          Paysinger, he looked good in preseason....most players do, end of story...
                          Sintim, he's done here.....

Comment

[quote user="myles2424"]Anyone that thinks were fine at LB needs to wake up..... The only two Lbs at this point that have earned any credit are boley & Williams, and neither did anything amazing.... Goff is average and fresh off IR... Herz is a great story,but has to earn his spot like everyone else,the playing time he saw this year he didn't look too hot.... Blackburn,stepped up a few games...but he needs to prove himself all over again,... Kiwi is DE... Jones did not look good at any point this season ( I was a huge fan of his in college) Paysinger, he looked good in preseason....most players do, end of story... Sintim, he's done here.....[/quote]Myles, you make some good points and I agree I have been wanting the Giants to draft or sign a top notch backer the passed 2 or 3 years. I for one mentioned that we need a true Sam backer. Kiwi is a DE moreso than a Sam backer. Now granted he is good vs the run, but is a definite liability in coverage.

But Fewell likes to play that 4-2-5 D in most pass situations with Grant as a hybrid S/LB. Even if we had a true Sam backer, most likely he would be pulled out in the nickel packages. Today's NFL has evolved into a more pass first league. Its hard to find a Sam or mike backer that can play 3 downs and be effective,as compared to years passed.

Another poster mentioned Hightower. I don't know if he would be a 3 down backer in the NFL. He may fit better into a 3-4 or a 2 down backer in a 4-3. Honestly I don't think Kuechly would fall to 32. I think he is as close as you can get this year in the 1st rd. And from what I read and some vids that redeye posted, Zach Brown probably would not be that guy. I think he may develop intoa solid Will backer. We have 2 of those in Boley and Williams. Who knows, may Herzlich develops further---maybe Goff bounces back from the ACL surgery. I guess we as fans will just have to wait and see what Reese and co. do

Comment

[quote user="tonyt830"]

[quote user="myles2424"]Anyone that thinks were fine at LB needs to wake up..... The only two Lbs at this point that have earned any credit are boley & Williams, and neither did anything amazing.... Goff is average and fresh off IR... Herz is a great story,but has to earn his spot like everyone else,the playing time he saw this year he didn't look too hot.... Blackburn,stepped up a few games...but he needs to prove himself all over again,... Kiwi is DE... Jones did not look good at any point this season ( I was a huge fan of his in college) Paysinger, he looked good in preseason....most players do, end of story... Sintim, he's done here.....[/quote]Myles, you make some good points and I agree I have been wanting the Giants to draft or sign a top notch backer the passed 2 or 3 years.* I for one mentioned that we need a true Sam backer.* Kiwi is a DE moreso than a Sam backer.* Now granted he is good vs the run, but is a definite liability in coverage.

But Fewell likes to play that 4-2-5 D in most pass situations with Grant as a hybrid S/LB.* Even if we had a true Sam backer, most likely he would be pulled out in the nickel packages.* Today's NFL has evolved into a more pass first league.* Its hard to find a Sam or mike backer that can play 3 downs and be effective,*as compared to years passed.

Another poster mentioned Hightower.* I don't know if he would be a 3 down backer in the NFL.* He may fit better into a 3-4 or a 2 down backer in a 4-3.* Honestly I don't think Kuechly would fall to 32.* I think he is as close as you can get this year in the 1st rd.* And from what I read and some vids that redeye posted, Zach Brown probably would not be that guy.* I think he may develop into*a solid Will backer.* We have 2 of those in Boley and Williams.* Who knows, may Herzlich develops further---maybe Goff bounces back from the ACL surgery.* I guess we as fans will just have to wait and see what Reese and co. do

[/quote]

There is basically no more will and sam its just LB who can cover, LB who can cover, LB who can cover. That's why Zach Brown wouldn't be a wasted pick. How many times have you seen the giants come out in a base 4-3? it doesn't happen often...

Comment

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="jomo"][quote user="myles2424"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="myles2424"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all.[/quote] if goff is resigned we don't need a lb? Goff has always been average & now he's coming off IR...and we literally have no SLB[/quote] Goff was above Avg the yr before this past season, and was ready to really explode before the injury... I'm not saying we shoulden't draft a LB if the Value is there, but if its not, then we should by all means re-sign John Goff, and let him continue to be a run thumping force...[/quote] goff was above average? I must be missing something ....[/quote]I am missing the same thing.[/quote]+1, Goff was never an "above average" LB.[/quote]

[/quote][/quote] Goff was one of the absoulute best LB's in football against the run[/quote]Sure he was pal

Comment

Working...
                                X