Linebackers.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linebackers.......

Ok it's no secret we've all been waiting on a game changing captain of the D LB......
    There's a few interesting OLBs, but most seem to be WLBs to me.....other than Kuechly,I'm not to excited about any of the MLbs....
    Who do you think can play the middle? Who can play SLB and be a every down LB?
    Here's a lost off the top of my head, id like to see a list in order of who you think would fit in our system & at which spot....

1.Kuechly
    2.Brown
    3.Burfict
    4.Ronell Lewis
    5.Donta hightower
    6.lavonte David
    7.Bobby Wagner
    8.Sean spence
    9.tank carder
    10.Danny trevathan

Feel free to add anyone I've forgotten....

Re: Linebackers.......

it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!!

Comment

[quote user="Spizi"]it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!![/quote] based on that alone I see some team taking him by 25ish

Comment

I saw a mock somewhere that shows Brown going to the Titans and playing the Will position.

I hope Goff can come backstrong. I know they say it takes 2 years to be back to full strength in most cases when it comes to knee surgeries.

Comment

[quote user="Spizi"]it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!![/quote]He is the softest LB in the draft and cant tackle

Comment

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="Spizi"]it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!![/quote]He is the softest LB in the draft and cant tackle[/quote]

But t3h 4o!

Personally, I'm fine with them not taking a linebacker at all. I think they've got a solid group of young linebackers now.

However, these are the guys I like:

Luke Kuechly (best LB in the draft, but not the best athlete. If he doesn't have a good combine, I think he'll fall)
            Bobby Wagner (great football player, but probably too small to be a Giants draft pick)
            Audie Cole (raw, but he flows well, and at 6'4" with LONG arms he's a prototypical Giants draft choice)
            Travis Lewis (Great linebacker, but he's been nagged by injuries)
            Tank Carder (Athletically limited, but he's a solid football player)

Comment

I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all.

Comment

1st V.Burfict - Luke Kuechly - Donta HighTower - zach brown

2nd - lavonte david - ronell lewis

3rd - James Michael Johnson - bobby wagner

Comment

[quote user="myles2424"]Ok it's no secret we've all been waiting on a game changing captain of the D LB......
                  There's a few interesting OLBs, but most seem to be WLBs to me.....other than Kuechly,I'm not to excited about any of the MLbs....
                  Who do you think can play the middle? Who can play SLB and be a every down LB?
                  Here's a lost off the top of my head, id like to see a list in order of who you think would fit in our system & at which spot....

1.Kuechly
                  2.Brown
                  3.Burfict
                  4.Ronell Lewis
                  5.Donta hightower
                  6.lavonte David
                  7.Bobby Wagner
                  8.Sean spence
                  9.tank carder
                  10.Danny trevathan

Feel free to add anyone I've forgotten....[/quote]

Kuechly is the only one out of that list that I like. Basically if they can't drop back in coverage I don't want them.

Problem with drafting a MLB from college these days, is that (in most cases) a college MLB is a typical MLB if a decade ago. Stocky, run stuffing thumper. However the NFL paradigm of offense is (and has) changed so much that an MLB has to be able to drop back into coverage (C2 and T2 defenses being the most prolific used in the NFL today).

Hence I think you'll see the classic WILL become the model for all LBers with the exception of the 3-4 OLB pass rusher.

P.S. - In that capacity, I love Keenan Robinson in the 4th.
                  I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

[quote user="myles2424"]Ok it's no secret we've all been waiting on a game changing captain of the D LB...... There's a few interesting OLBs, but most seem to be WLBs to me.....other than Kuechly,I'm not to excited about any of the MLbs.... Who do you think can play the middle? Who can play SLB and be a every down LB? Here's a lost off the top of my head, id like to see a list in order of who you think would fit in our system & at which spot.... 1.Kuechly 2.Brown 3.Burfict 4.Ronell Lewis 5.Donta hightower 6.lavonte David 7.Bobby Wagner 8.Sean spence 9.tank carder 10.Danny trevathan Feel free to add anyone I've forgotten....[/quote]

Based off pure football IQ and athletic ability... Sean Spence is a must get. If he falls to us in round 3, I would be extremely pleased if we selected him. Always around the ball!

"Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
                    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
                    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
                    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
                    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
                    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
                    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
                    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

Comment

MLBs:
                      Donta Hightower (Alabama) is my #1 LB in this draft (not even considering Kuechly or Upshaw who will be long gone). I understand those questioning how he would fit in our system though. I can't say he'd be great at dropping into coverage but he brings a lot to the table that I like. He could also play DE in a 4-3 and get the job done. I also think his coverage is better than people think. He didn't come out on 3rd and long at Alabama.

Jerry Franklin (Arkansas) is a guy that I like because of his versatility but not a guy I'm necessarily hoping we get but have my eyes on him for the combine/pro day. He could play OLB, MLB or DE.

Demario Davis (Arkansas State) Love this kid and we could get him late. One of my top sleepers.... dude would be great in our system. Played OLB but I think he would be a great fit in the middle for us. He played MLB in the senior bowl and held his own.

Chris Marve (Vandy) smaller guy but overachieves. Smart player as well just needs to do better at getting off blocks. Looked good in coverage and against the run when I watched him play.

OLBs:

Danny Trevathan (tackle machine in the best conference in CFB)
                      Sean Spence (always around the ball. Not big but gets it done)
                      Keenan Robinson
                      Lavonte David
                      Jerrell Harris (majorly under the radar because of the competition in front of him at Alabama and because he found his way into the coach's doghouse. He was a 5* player and is loaded with athleticism. We could probably get him in the 6th round. He was a force against the option in the BCSCG and was a great special teams player. Just seems like the kind of guy that the Giants could turn into a great role player)

Comment

I'm stunned.What does Chase Blackburn gotta do to get some love from you guys?He's my MLB the next 2 years while the 4 young lb's we have develope.Not to mention he's our best special team player.An everydown MLB?Well,Blackburn's interceptions of Rodger's and Brady 50 yards downfield were pretty impressive.His average of 10 tackles per game after returning cold turkey.Not good enough?That fumble return to the 4?Game changer.Maybe he's not Ray lewis in his prime,but he's solid and was a godsend who turned this D around.We have a leader and gamechanger already at MLB.His name is Chase Blackburn.We drew an inside strait when he returned.Now you want to fold?Comeon guys,give Blackburn some love.

Comment

Not interested in a linebacker in the first 2 rounds.

Comment

[quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="Spizi"]it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!![/quote]He is the softest LB in the draft and cant tackle[/quote]

But t3h 4o!

Personally, I'm fine with them not taking a linebacker at all. I think they've got a solid group of young linebackers now.

However, these are the guys I like:

Luke Kuechly (best LB in the draft, but not the best athlete. If he doesn't have a good combine, I think he'll fall)
                            Bobby Wagner (great football player, but probably too small to be a Giants draft pick)
                            Audie Cole (raw, but he flows well, and at 6'4" with LONG arms he's a prototypical Giants draft choice)
                            Travis Lewis (Great linebacker, but he's been nagged by injuries)
                            Tank Carder (Athletically limited, but he's a solid football player)
                            [/quote] isn't bobby Wagner 6'1 240?

Comment

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all.[/quote] if goff is resigned we don't need a lb?
                              Goff has always been average & now he's coming off IR...and we literally have no SLB

Comment

Working...
                              X