TE or BPA at 32?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TE or BPA at 32?

Most mock drafts have Reese taking one of the 3 TE's - what's the consensus out there? Best player available or drafting a position of need this year?

Re: TE or BPA at 32?

BPA involves team needs

Comment

We'll probably draft for highest value.

Comment

I think the best value for TE is around rounds 3-5 myself but I wouldn't be too upset with either Fleener or Allen at #32.

Comment

I think fleener & Allen had very good chances of becoming early 2nd rounders even prior to their unimpressive combines......I highly doubt either of them will be BPA

Comment

If Reese has Fleener as his BPA at 32, great. If not I would not be surprised to see the best available DE or DT drafted.

Comment

clue: whoever we pick, no matter if he was a need or not, Reese will say he was the highest rated remaining player on his board.
              sigpic

Comment

They always try to find the mix of the highest rated player and biggest need.

Comment

[quote user="DaveBrown"]Most mock drafts have Reese taking one of the 3 TE's - what's the consensus out there? Best player available or drafting a position of need this year?[/quote]

I would be shocked if we took a TE with our first round pick to play in an offense that doesn't use the TE much. Makes no sense at all.

Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

ALWAYS take BPA, especially if its one that surprisingly dropped like Prince did last year.

Personally, I don't want a TE drafted that high. I just don't think it's necessary and this whole "this is a TE league now" is completely blown out of proportion. We just won a SB with an unheralded TE with an injured knee.

I've always loved the TE position, but I think that experts and others are completely pushing this TE bandwagon ridiculously far.

I'm hoping the BPA will be on the o-line, secondary, d-line or WR.

Comment

[quote user="Morehead State"]

I would be shocked if we took a TE with our first round pick to play in an offense that doesn't use the TE much.* Makes no sense at all.

[/quote]

Doesnt use a TE much? Theyve been forcing UDFA and 5th rounders into 600 yard 5+ TD guys. To me thats an awful lot of use conidering the talent they have at the position has been pretty poor.

Comment

According to walterfootball....
                        "Allen has a 2nd round grade,but I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall into the 3rd at this point" - mike mayock at Clemson proday...

Comment

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Morehead State"]

I would be shocked if we took a TE with our first round pick to play in an offense that doesn't use the TE much.* Makes no sense at all.

[/quote]

Doesnt use a TE much? Theyve been forcing UDFA and 5th rounders into 600 yard 5+ TD guys. To me thats an awful lot of use conidering the talent they have at the position has been pretty poor.[/quote]

I'm guessing he's referring to comparisons with the TE darling teams like Saints, Pats, Niners, and a handful of others, where over the past couple seasons the TE has been the leading receiver and/or TD maker.

Compared to those teams, we don't use the TE much.

And your point is an excellent reason why we'd be idiots to draft any TE in this class in the first round, even if it is at #32, and supports MS comment quite well.

But I'm also guessing you knew that as well.

Comment

Why do we have to go TE. I think we need a running back more then a TE. Bradshaw is one break away from being done. Jacobs is gone or worse, not gone.

We need a new great back.

Comment

[quote user="gmen46"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[/quote]

Doesnt use a TE much? Theyve been forcing UDFA and 5th rounders into 600 yard 5+ TD guys. To me thats an awful lot of use conidering the talent they have at the position has been pretty poor.[/quote]

I'm guessing he's referring to comparisons with the TE darling teams like Saints, Pats, Niners, and a handful of others, where over the past couple seasons the TE has been the leading receiver and/or TD maker.

Compared to those teams, we don't use the TE much.

And your point is an excellent reason why we'd be idiots to draft any TE in this class in the first round, even if it is at #32, and supports MS comment quite well.

But I'm also guessing you knew that as well.[/quote]

well theres the other side to that argument. Fleener avg 20 ypr, scored 10 td's and is a huge redzone threat. he is also already an ample blocker with room to improve.

If we lose MM, having Fleener force the safeties playing their cover 2 deep shells (that NE played us and will no doubt be the base gameplan for opposing dc's next season) having a guy be able to come in and start right away and be very effective would solve that issue immediately. Plus, our system, the TE technically is a part of our OL and he would improve that.

Then you figure in if we re-sign a guy like Smith, and our receiving options become Nicks, Cruz, Smith and Fleener with Smith and Fleener working the middle of the field, that opens up the outside for Nicks and Cruz, would drafting Fleener be a huge disservice at that point?

I am open to drafting any position, as we are pretty much stacked from top to bottom on our roster (assuming we re-sign most of our own FA's) and TE is included in that especially since Bear Pascoe is the only healthy TE we'll have by week 7 if we're lucky as Beckum and Ballard will start the season on the PUP.

Fleener is a capable deep threat, seam guy, excellent route runner who can run double routes and get seperation at the top of his route, and a servicable blocker...I could actually list a bunch of picks that wouldnt be half as good as picking Fleener would be...we're picking at 32 don't forget that. would u rather reach on the 6th best dt/de of the draft, an OL who grades out to being an avg player if we're lucky, or getting the best TE in the draft with the potential to take our offense to even higher levels???

Comment

Working...
                              X