Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kevin Minter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kevin Minter

    Does anyone have any thoughts on Kevin Minter? nycsportzfan recently pointed out that he declared for the draft. He is the 24th overall rated player. Could possibly be an interesting pick if reese did decide to go ILB in the first round..

    thoughts?

  • #2
    He is a good football player. I still want to see his measurables tho. There are rumors he is smaller than his listed size, which is becoming far to commonplace.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Minter would be a good value in the 2nd..

      Comment


      • #4
        Ewww good lord no.

        6'1 245, but he plays like he's 5'10. Slow, doesn't tackle or shed blocks particularly well and has almost no range.

        The only upside that I can see with this guy is that he can blitz when no one is blocking him really well.
        I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

        Comment


        • #5

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
            Ewww good lord no.

            6'1 245, but he plays like he's 5'10. Slow, doesn't tackle or shed blocks particularly well and has almost no range.

            The only upside that I can see with this guy is that he can blitz when no one is blocking him really well.
            Try best player on that LSU defense thats gonna see a ton of guys go in the first 3rds.. Hes very physical and is very bright and a great leader.. I would take this guy at the end of RD 1 , early 2nd all day long and feel great about it.. Hes got solid straight line speed, good strength, makes plays behind the line, isn't a total liablity in coverege, solid tackler...etc THis kids the real deal!

            U must of missed his brililant 19tackle game against Clemson last wk, ey? Or his 20tackle game against Florida? Guy had like 130tackles, 15tackle for loss, 4sacks, 1int, 5PD..

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
              Try best player on that LSU defense thats gonna see a ton of guys go in the first 3rds.. Hes very physical and is very bright and a great leader.. I would take this guy at the end of RD 1 , early 2nd all day long and feel great about it.. Hes got solid straight line speed, good strength, makes plays behind the line, isn't a total liablity in coverege, solid tackler...etc THis kids the real deal!

              U must of missed his brililant 19tackle game against Clemson last wk, ey? Or his 20tackle game against Florida? Guy had like 130tackles, 15tackle for loss, 4sacks, 1int, 5PD..
              # of tackles is the worst stat to judge by ... especially is those tackles are happening after the first down marker.

              I rare see this kid making plays behind the line that don't include him being left totally unblocked. That's more of an indictment to the opposing offensive line then it is a testament to this kids' ability.

              He's awful getting off of blocks, has no acceleration whatsoever (who cares how fast he's running if it takes him 5 minutes to get to that speed?) which also means he has no range and he's a TOTAL liability in coverage.

              I feel like we're talking about two different people.

              P.S. - The Florida game is linked above ... explain to me where you're impressed. The blitz that I could have driven an RV through?
              I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

              Comment


              • #8
                Ok help me out here guys ... I've watched tape after tape on this guy and I don't get the hype.

                He's slow ... he can't shed blocks ... he's always getting blown back or locked up. He can't cover to save his life.

                Why is this guy so highly rated?!
                I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                  # of tackles is the worst stat to judge by ... especially is those tackles are happening after the first down marker.

                  I rare see this kid making plays behind the line that don't include him being left totally unblocked. That's more of an indictment to the opposing offensive line then it is a testament to this kids' ability.

                  He's awful getting off of blocks, has no acceleration whatsoever (who cares how fast he's running if it takes him 5 minutes to get to that speed?) which also means he has no range and he's a TOTAL liability in coverage.

                  I feel like we're talking about two different people.

                  P.S. - The Florida game is linked above ... explain to me where you're impressed. The blitz that I could have driven an RV through?
                  Especially if there happening after the 1st down marker? Tackles are important no matter if a team gets a 1st or not.. So u would rather a guy just goes for monster gains and TD's and get his team in scoring positon rather then make a tackle after a 1st and try again? Tackles are extremely important weather it happens after a 1st or not.. When ur piling up 20tackles, ur saving alot of extra yards and scoring opp's, and making the other team continue to have to make plays to score..

                  Minter had 15TFL, 4sacks, 1int, and 5PD to go with his 130tackles.. Like i said, he was the best player on that defense.. I bet the LSU players would say the same thing...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I would say he was the most consistent player on that defense. Lots of the other players have more upside.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by teaneck View Post
                      THis is very impressive tape.. Forget the sacks, where he shows great straight line speed, but he dropped into coverege alot and looked fluid enough and most of the time, kept the ball from being delivered in his area, and he was in on most plays, and showed sideline to sideline ability and stopped RB one on one..etc Very good tape and one i'm sure most would be impressed by..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                        I would say he was the most consistent player on that defense. Lots of the other players have more upside.
                        I'm saying he was the best player on the Defense this past yr, not best player overall.. Hes a good looking prospect.. I understand why some have em in Rd1 is all.. I'd have em on my Radar as well...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
                          I'm saying he was the best player on the Defense this past yr, not best player overall.. Hes a good looking prospect.. I understand why some have em in Rd1 is all.. I'd have em on my Radar as well...
                          Probably. Lsu does a crap job of coaching their DL talent. And that secondary is nothing special this year.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
                            Especially if there happening after the 1st down marker? Tackles are important no matter if a team gets a 1st or not.. So u would rather a guy just goes for monster gains and TD's and get his team in scoring positon rather then make a tackle after a 1st and try again? Tackles are extremely important weather it happens after a 1st or not.. When ur piling up 20tackles, ur saving alot of extra yards and scoring opp's, and making the other team continue to have to make plays to score..

                            Minter had 15TFL, 4sacks, 1int, and 5PD to go with his 130tackles.. Like i said, he was the best player on that defense.. I bet the LSU players would say the same thing...
                            Ok let me rephrase ... he tackles soft. He's always being driven backwards and even when he meets someone at the line of scrimmage, the ball carrier still falls forward for like 4-5 yards.

                            He is consistent (as Slip points out) ... I just don't see him warranting all the attention he's getting (and not someone I would especially love to see drafted in any round). LSU is doing more for him than he's doing for LSU imo.

                            Sorry ... just not seeing his upside.
                            I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Minter lacks agility and does not have fluid hips in coverage. He often fails to shed blocks and gets swallowed up by blockers. I would put a second round grade on him. Hopefully the giants avoid him. We need a bobby wagner type not a slightly more athletic chase blackburn.


                              Subscribe to me on YouTube: mlerm17
                              Follow me on Twitter @mlerm17

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X