Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nico Johnson LB, Alabama

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nico Johnson LB, Alabama

    I posted this in another thread about linebackers, but figured I'd give it it's on thread.

    A guy to keep an eye on a little later in the draft is Nico Johnson. 5* out of high school and had a solid but quiet career at Alabama (freshman All SEC). His biggest problems were the amount of talent surrounding him. I'm not convinced a guy like Minter would be that much better (if at all) than Johnson and you could get him later. At Alabama he was more of a run stopping linebacker, while Mosley was more of a passing down LB but he still moves REALLY well for his size and rarely gets knocked back. Another guy I'd be REALLY happy to land. He's listed at 6'3 245 but it seems Alabama's guys always measure a little shorter at the combine/pro day. What I like is that he seems to be under the radar right now, perhaps because he wasn't a consistent starter (depended on what type of offense Alabama faced, run heavy vs pass heavy).
    junior highlights:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJBTRPyY5lw

    Gets to the outside really well, plays gaps well, shows an ability to shed blocks, reads plays really well and although there's not much footage here of him in coverage, he shows that he can handle it. Most importantly I see him taking on big SEC RBs and standing his ground.
    2017 Mock Draft (Pre-combine / FA):

    Rd 1: OJ Howard (TE, Alabama)
    Rd 2: Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE, Villanova)
    Rd 3: Antonio Garcia (OT, Troy)
    Rd 4: Samaje Perine (RB, Oklahoma)
    Rd 5: Davis Webb (QB, Cal)
    Rd 6: Ahkello Witherspoon (CB, Colorado)
    Rd 7: DJ Jones (DT, Ole Miss)

  • #2
    Eh. He's a mid round guy. Perhaps a strong side linebacker for a team. Might be better suited as a thumper in a 3-4, but those guys aren't as common in the league anymore

    Comment


    • #3
      Nico >>> Sintim

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Carter.525 View Post
        Nico >>> Sintim
        Well yes. Sintim is not even playing football anymore

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
          Eh. He's a mid round guy.
          That's my point. Have you noticed where we always draft our linebackers?

          I keep seeing Minter as a rd 1 or rd 2 type of guy and I really don't think he's all that better than Johnson. If we haven't addressed middle linebacker early, he is a guy that I think would be a good pick in the 4th or so round. I also don't really think of him as a thumper, he plays disciplined gap football and moves really well for his size. He doesn't over pursue or go for bit hits. Wouldn't be a blatant waste of a pick like we saw in Greg Jones and Phillip Dillard (which I said afterwards were wasted picks).
          2017 Mock Draft (Pre-combine / FA):

          Rd 1: OJ Howard (TE, Alabama)
          Rd 2: Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE, Villanova)
          Rd 3: Antonio Garcia (OT, Troy)
          Rd 4: Samaje Perine (RB, Oklahoma)
          Rd 5: Davis Webb (QB, Cal)
          Rd 6: Ahkello Witherspoon (CB, Colorado)
          Rd 7: DJ Jones (DT, Ole Miss)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BlueSabbath View Post
            That's my point. Have you noticed where we always draft our linebackers?
            Well I am not sure he fits for the giants either, if they want to play more tampa 2. They need guys who play nearly as well moving backwards as forwards.

            If they want a big Sam like what Kiwi is. He may fit better.
            Last edited by slipknottin; 01-18-2013, 04:10 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't disagree... but I wouldn't suggest him if I didn't think he could fit in our system (at least as good as someone we would target later in the draft). I couldn't have possibly disagreed more with the way we have drafted linebackers over the years. The guy we need is CJ Mosley (also at Alabama) but if we're not going to use a first or second round pick on a linebacker (as usual), we need to at least get some guys with potential. We've been taking guys I could have guaranteed would be flops. My point in this is that if we don't go linebacker in the first 2 rounds, I think Nico is someone to consider later. I've been saying we need to go after Ogletree, who I think could be a REALLY good get for us. Just considering backup plans down the line.

              p.s. If you have by chance liked the LBs we have drafted over the last few years, I would be glad we disagree.
              Last edited by BlueSabbath; 01-18-2013, 04:47 PM.
              2017 Mock Draft (Pre-combine / FA):

              Rd 1: OJ Howard (TE, Alabama)
              Rd 2: Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE, Villanova)
              Rd 3: Antonio Garcia (OT, Troy)
              Rd 4: Samaje Perine (RB, Oklahoma)
              Rd 5: Davis Webb (QB, Cal)
              Rd 6: Ahkello Witherspoon (CB, Colorado)
              Rd 7: DJ Jones (DT, Ole Miss)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BlueSabbath View Post
                I don't disagree... but I wouldn't suggest him if I didn't think he could fit in our system (at least as good as someone we would target later in the draft). I couldn't have possibly disagreed more with the way we have drafted linebackers over the years. The guy we need is CJ Mosley (also at Alabama) but if we're not going to use a first or second round pick on a linebacker (as usual), we need to at least get some guys with potential. We've been taking guys I could have guaranteed would be flops. My point in this is that if we don't go linebacker in the first 2 rounds, I think Nico is someone to consider later. I've been saying we need to go after Ogletree, who I think could be a REALLY good get for us. Just considering backup plans down the line.

                p.s. If you have by chance liked the LBs we have drafted over the last few years, I would be glad we disagree.
                I hated Sintim, argued with everyone on these forums about him before that draft.

                Greg Jones I didnt think would be a starter, but i thought he wasent a bad pick for a 5th rounder.

                I honestly knew nothing about Dillard pre-draft, but had hoped he had some ability.

                Only recent LB I have truly liked was J Will after a couple videos of him were uploaded to youtube and I got to watch those.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                  I hated Sintim, argued with everyone on these forums about him before that draft.

                  Greg Jones I didnt think would be a starter, but i thought he wasent a bad pick for a 5th rounder.

                  I honestly knew nothing about Dillard pre-draft, but had hoped he had some ability.

                  Only recent LB I have truly liked was J Will after a couple videos of him were uploaded to youtube and I got to watch those.
                  Well, we're pretty much in the same boat then. The last LB I can remember us getting that I was actually excited about was Goff. That seems like forever ago.
                  2017 Mock Draft (Pre-combine / FA):

                  Rd 1: OJ Howard (TE, Alabama)
                  Rd 2: Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE, Villanova)
                  Rd 3: Antonio Garcia (OT, Troy)
                  Rd 4: Samaje Perine (RB, Oklahoma)
                  Rd 5: Davis Webb (QB, Cal)
                  Rd 6: Ahkello Witherspoon (CB, Colorado)
                  Rd 7: DJ Jones (DT, Ole Miss)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BlueSabbath View Post
                    Well, we're pretty much in the same boat then. The last LB I can remember us getting that I was actually excited about was Goff. That seems like forever ago.
                    wow.. I actually forgot about Goff.. hasnt even been that long..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                      I hated Sintim, argued with everyone on these forums about him before that draft.

                      Greg Jones I didnt think would be a starter, but i thought he wasent a bad pick for a 5th rounder.

                      I honestly knew nothing about Dillard pre-draft, but had hoped he had some ability.

                      Only recent LB I have truly liked was J Will after a couple videos of him were uploaded to youtube and I got to watch those.
                      Actually Greg Jones wasn't a bad pick for a 6 th round.
                      " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BlueSabbath View Post
                        I posted this in another thread about linebackers, but figured I'd give it it's on thread.

                        A guy to keep an eye on a little later in the draft is Nico Johnson. 5* out of high school and had a solid but quiet career at Alabama (freshman All SEC). His biggest problems were the amount of talent surrounding him. I'm not convinced a guy like Minter would be that much better (if at all) than Johnson and you could get him later. At Alabama he was more of a run stopping linebacker, while
                        Mosley was more of a passing down LB but he still moves REALLY well for his size and rarely gets knocked back. Another guy I'd be REALLY happy to land. He's listed at 6'3 245 but it seems Alabama's guys always measure a little shorter at the combine/pro day. What I like is that he seems to be under the radar right now, perhaps because he wasn't a consistent starter (depended on what type of offense Alabama faced, run heavy vs pass heavy).
                        junior highlights:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJBTRPyY5lw

                        Gets to the outside really well, plays gaps well, shows an ability to shed blocks, reads plays really well and although there's not much
                        footage here of him in coverage, he shows that he can handle it. Most importantly I see him taking on big SEC RBs and standing his ground.
                        It's obvious that most who have responded to your thread have little to no clue of what Nico brings to the table. Good job on your part tho! Nico's a ball player!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          His best spot is as a 2 Down TED LB in a 3-4. Probably could be a run down LB in a 4-3 on the Strongside or as a Mike

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nico in the 4th..??

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
                              His best spot is as a 2 Down TED LB in a 3-4. Probably could be a run down LB in a 4-3 on the Strongside or as a Mike
                              That's just like... yer opinion man.
                              2017 Mock Draft (Pre-combine / FA):

                              Rd 1: OJ Howard (TE, Alabama)
                              Rd 2: Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE, Villanova)
                              Rd 3: Antonio Garcia (OT, Troy)
                              Rd 4: Samaje Perine (RB, Oklahoma)
                              Rd 5: Davis Webb (QB, Cal)
                              Rd 6: Ahkello Witherspoon (CB, Colorado)
                              Rd 7: DJ Jones (DT, Ole Miss)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X