Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Wouldnt get much in terms of pass rush. Would be beastly against the run
    A guy like Jesse Williams you would play as a 2 down DT to stop the run. Then you can bring in your Marvin Austin or Marcus Kuhn to get some kind of passrush hopefully going. Now Jesse Williams could become a decent Passrusher he has quickness and is fast. The really need Austin to improve and become something special in creating pressure. But stopping the Run IMO should be the #1 priority for the Giants this off season.

Comment

Wouldnt get much in terms of pass rush. Would be beastly against the run
      Would get abused by no-huddle teams.
      I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
        Maybe , Thats the thing when u get to specialized with roles
        Last edited by Redeyejedi; 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM.

Comment

You might , Thats the thing when u get to specialized with roles
          Hmmm run stuffers that supplement the defensive line .... coulda sworn they invented those already.

Reese should look into inventing these.
          I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
            Giants got abused last year regardless no huddle or not. Bringing in a guy like Jesse Williams or another big run stuffer is only going to help not hurt our D line. Giants fans are so obsessed with Pass rushers that they forgot that teams still run the ball. Its a passing league but if you are a team who can't stop the run you are gonna get exposed and that is what happened to the Giants. Giants don't need more pass rushers. The Giants need personell who will help them shut down the run and that is where a Big DT out of college comes in. Marvin Austin isn't a run stop DT!!!! Linval Joseph can't do it alone on first and second down. He needs another big abled Body in there to plug that line and stop the run between the tackles. Giants can find that this year in the draft. I felt they should have addressed this issue last year in the draft. Run Defense was garbage but because they went and won the Superbowl the issue didnt get fixed. Now they missed the playoffs this year and got KILLED by the run its time to address the glaring need on Defense to STOP the run. You don't do it with Lb's in a 4-3 the D line is the first line of Defense against the run that is where you add the beef. Now in a 3-4 your LB's step up into the gaps and makes plays on the runners very different.

Comment

Originally posted by Rawdog550 View Post
              Giants got abused last year regardless no huddle or not. Bringing in a guy like Jesse Williams or another big run stuffer is only going to help not hurt our D line. Giants fans are so obsessed with Pass rushers that they forgot that teams still run the ball. Its a passing league but if you are a team who can't stop the run you are gonna get exposed and that is what happened to the Giants. Giants don't need more pass rushers. The Giants need personell who will help them shut down the run and that is where a Big DT out of college comes in. Marvin Austin isn't a run stop DT!!!! Linval Joseph can't do it alone on first and second down. He needs another big abled Body in there to plug that line and stop the run between the tackles. Giants can find that this year in the draft. I felt they should have addressed this issue last year in the draft. Run Defense was garbage but because they went and won the Superbowl the issue didnt get fixed. Now they missed the playoffs this year and got KILLED by the run its time to address the glaring need on Defense to STOP the run. You don't do it with Lb's in a 4-3 the D line is the first line of Defense against the run that is where you add the beef. Now in a 3-4 your LB's step up into the gaps and makes plays on the runners very different.
              First off ... paragraphs!

Having said that, yes I agree that the Giants need to look at their run defense, especially considering that all of the teams in our division have good/great run games (I'll assume the Eagles run game will be much improved next year considering the coaching change and McCoy).

However, that doesn't mean any wide body will do. Jesse Williams started as a DE, transitioned to a 3-tech and finally started soley as a 0-tech in 2012. That doesn't scream 4-3 DT to me. Could he play it? Yes. Would he do well ... that would remain to be seen. At this level, his athletic prowess might come down to earth and his size would make him a detriment against zone-block run teams (i.e. the Redskins). Keep in mind, I'm not saying Jesse Williams would be a poor pick ... just my initial concerns about him on the Giants.

Also, I think you neglect a big part of why our defense got gashed so much in the run game this year ... poor linebacker play. We could have the best DT in the draft and our run defense will still be poor if our LBers aren't improved this year (where do you think all of those big runs came from).

Finally, more teams ran the no-huddle more times in 2012 then any previous year in NFL history. It is a cause for personnel decision making.

Comment

Star, Hankins, Richardson, Floyd, Sylvester, Jesse Williams, Jenkins.

Comment

Our LB's won't matter if we don't have DT's who can eat blocks and keep lineman off of them!!! You are right Williams did start off at DE and moved thru the Dline to the NT position. That just proves he can play any of the techniques. Now how he does in the NFL is anyones guess. None of these guys are a guarantee to be studs. But simply going out and drafting a LB isnt going to solve the problem either. Picking up a LB on FA would be a much better option rather than drafting one.

Comment

I think its pretty evident Floyd is more athletic. I dont even think thats debatable. Lets think about it if Short was more athletic than Floyd why wouldnt Short be the 1 being discussed in the Top 10. I think Shorts a good player. More stout against the run and has a well rounded game
                    Floyd was just called a 2nd rder like last month? did his athletic ability change in the past month? U start picking a bunch of unproductive guys because someone says hes more athletic, and ur gonna be picking busts, left and right... Short is a football player, adn he knows how to play the game of football, and ya, i'm sorry it shows up in his stats, thats not my fault, but usually, good football players that aren't specifaclly run stoppers usually do show up in the stat line.. Short was like the only guy on Purdues defense that teams truly had to worry about, and he still was highly productive..

I'l bet u right now, Kawaan Short ends up being a better , more productive player then Shariff Floyd... All though i'm still waiting for someone else to pay there debt for losing a bet to me..lol U can have ur unproductive short DT, as i'm taking the guy whos been productive for about 3straight yrs, and prooved he could do it with bigtime players on the DLIEN with him, and without..

Comment

Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
                      Floyd was just called a 2nd rder like last month? did his athletic ability change in the past month? U start picking a bunch of unproductive guys because someone says hes more athletic, and ur gonna be picking busts, left and right... Short is a football player, adn he knows how to play the game of football, and ya, i'm sorry it shows up in his stats, thats not my fault, but usually, good football players that aren't specifaclly run stoppers usually do show up in the stat line.. Short was like the only guy on Purdues defense that teams truly had to worry about, and he still was highly productive..

I'l bet u right now, Kawaan Short ends up being a better , more productive player then Shariff Floyd... All though i'm still waiting for someone else to pay there debt for losing a bet to me..lol U can have ur unproductive short DT, as i'm taking the guy whos been productive for about 3straight yrs, and prooved he could do it with bigtime players on the DLIEN with him, and without..
                      Give me the guy has been a factor the past few years....Short....I do watch alot of UF games, & notice Floyd at times,but feel like he had a slim chance at the 1st until the louisville game.......
                      Mayock commented on Jenkins & Short during the senior bowl that them running out of gas during games wasnt a factor for him...And said they were rarely rotated in college & once they get to the pros & become part of a Dline rotation that wont be a issue...

Comment

Purdue DT Kawann Short will not work out at the Combine or the school's Pro Day on March 1 due to an injury.

NFL Draft legend Gil Brandt adds Short will have his own Pro Day on March 26. No details were given, but the injury is recent since Short just finished participating in Senior Bowl week. There's a lot to like to about Short, specifically his quick feet, but he tends to turn his energy off and on as he pleases.
                        http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/c...aft-headlines/

Comment

The more I watch Sheldon Richardson the more he's the guy I want in the first. He has an absolutely insane motor and moves better than any DT I've seen in years. He doesn't have a great anchor and his hands are inconsistent but that stuff is coachable.

If there is any DL prospect in this draft that reminds me of JPP it's Richardson
                          Last edited by slipknottin; 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by myles2424 View Post
                            Give me the guy has been a factor the past few years....Short....I do watch alot of UF games, & notice Floyd at times,but feel like he had a slim chance at the 1st until the louisville game.......
                            Mayock commented on Jenkins & Short during the senior bowl that them running out of gas during games wasnt a factor for him...And said they were rarely rotated in college & once they get to the pros & become part of a Dline rotation that wont be a issue...
                            I agree fully.. The louisville game was definetly Floyds ticket to the top in my opinion, and he did very little outside of that.. Were always one game away from somebody who people have thought was a 2nd rder for god knows how long or 3rd rder..etc moving up a rd or 2.. I stick with my guys, and Kawaan Short is awesome..

Comment

Originally posted by juice33s View Post
                              Purdue DT Kawann Short will not work out at the Combine or the school's Pro Day on March 1 due to an injury.

NFL Draft legend Gil Brandt adds Short will have his own Pro Day on March 26. No details were given, but the injury is recent since Short just finished participating in Senior Bowl week. There's a lot to like to about Short, specifically his quick feet, but he tends to turn his energy off and on as he pleases.
                              http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/c...aft-headlines/
                              Dang, this sucks.. Was really looking forward to seeing Kawaan out there.. Oh well, hes a stud, and if somebody is lucky enough to get him in the 2nd, i'm gonna be mad jealous...

Comment

Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
                                Dang, this sucks.. Was really looking forward to seeing Kawaan out there.. Oh well, hes a stud, and if somebody is lucky enough to get him in the 2nd, i'm gonna be mad jealous...
                                Actually that may be very good for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X