Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Datone Jones? Bleacher Report article

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Tucks never been a elite pass rusher, period.. His career high is 12sacks for godsake.. Its his ability to stop the run and force fumbles(18in his career), that i'll remember first an foremost.. Hes only had double digit sacks 3times in his career.. And those 3yrs , were between 10-12 sacks... I could see Datone Jones being a very simlar player, which is good to have when u have a elite pass rusher on the other side, like Tuck always did with Strahan and OSI, and Jones would have with JPP...
    Go ahead and look up how many double digit sack strong-side DEs there are in the league.

    I'll wait.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
      He is nothing like Osi. Osi is a pure edge rusher. Jones is a strongside end on running downs / DT on passing downs
      Yeah that is an odd comparison to say the least. Datone can be compared to many guys depending on how you envision him playing in your defense. You're getting a Justin Tuck sort of player if you put him in this defense and although Tuck is a more natural edge rusher, Jones seems to have a great amount of endurance and an excellent motor despite multiple snaps against double teams when he was in UCLA. Pretty much what I'm saying is that he can be a flat out monster on the inside with his combination of strength and speed.

      I've heard the potential Geno Atkins comparisons when you think of using him at 3 Tech but a more appropriate one would be Henry Melton imo. Melton came into the league initially as a DE but they had him shoot up to 295 so he could slip inside and exploit guards. Either way you look at it, he's not going to be your main pass rusher but he does offer a defense like ours solid run stopping ability on the edge and then he can wreck havoc on the middle of the pocket to open up things for other players. His impact would be felt off the stat sheet but JPP could really use a player like that to get free.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
        Go ahead and look up how many double digit sack strong-side DEs there are in the league.

        I'll wait.
        Odds are that we aren't going to draft Jones or Okafor anyway since the Giants are contemplating sending JPP to LDE. Okafor is odd in that he has a RDE body but he doesn't exactly project well there in the NFL since he isn't as fluid as you would expect. He seems to disappear in some games too.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
          Yeah that is an odd comparison to say the least. Datone can be compared to many guys depending on how you envision him playing in your defense. You're getting a Justin Tuck sort of player if you put him in this defense and although Tuck is a more natural edge rusher, Jones seems to have a great amount of endurance and an excellent motor despite multiple snaps against double teams when he was in UCLA. Pretty much what I'm saying is that he can be a flat out monster on the inside with his combination of strength and speed.

          I've heard the potential Geno Atkins comparisons when you think of using him at 3 Tech but a more appropriate one would be Henry Melton imo. Melton came into the league initially as a DE but they had him shoot up to 295 so he could slip inside and exploit guards. Either way you look at it, he's not going to be your main pass rusher but he does offer a defense like ours solid run stopping ability on the edge and then he can wreck havoc on the middle of the pocket to open up things for other players. His impact would be felt off the stat sheet but JPP could really use a player like that to get free.
          Thats how i see it.. I see a Justin Tuck type of player with Jones in this defense.. I really see plenty of similarities.. There talking about guys like Atkins, if Jones bulks up a bit more.. If u dont' want em to bulk up, then u got Justin Tuck.. So its basically, do u want him to bullk up and hopefully get a Henry melton/Geno Atkins type, or stay the same weight, and be a Justin Tuck type?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
            Go ahead and look up how many double digit sack strong-side DEs there are in the league.

            I'll wait.
            U just got done talking about Tucks pass rush skills like 2posts ago, bringing up his ND numbers , and now ur making excuses to why he dosen't get sacks??lol No kidding, SDE's don't pile up sacks, thats becasue thats not what he excels at, just as Jones don't excel at it.. How can u not see these obvious similarities? 90pct of Tucks sacks come off overpowering blockers, and pushing em in the backfield, using his strength.. Datone Jones is gonna get some sacks using the same method, as thats what he excels at... Tuck and Jones both excel vs the run, both will get some sacks by overpowering lineman , and will force a ton of fumbles becaue of there strength and physicality..

            Reese has all ready said he wants to get more physical on defense, guys like Datone Jones fits exactly into that..

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
              Carradine is a monster! He didn't benefit from Werner, he is just good.. That reminds me of people saying "kawaan Short wa s only good because fo Ryan Kerrigan"..etc And yet 2yrs after, Shorts done nothing but excel without Kerrigan.. Carradine has light feet, and flexebility around the edge, and is quick in pursuit, and uses his long limbs and active hands very well.. Hes a reliable open field tackler, again using his long arms to wrap up, is a extremely hungry player, whos effort is never gonna be a issue, and he can straight rip and tear away from blocks.. THis guys a flat out beast! If he did that because of Werner, imagine what he'll do because of JPP on the other side?
              Is there any word on Tank's recovery from his knee injury?

              The problem with him could be that it's too early to take him at 19, and he might not be there for us in the second round.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
                Thats how i see it.. I see a Justin Tuck type of player with Jones in this defense.. I really see plenty of similarities.. There talking about guys like Atkins, if Jones bulks up a bit more.. If u dont' want em to bulk up, then u got Justin Tuck.. So its basically, do u want him to bullk up and hopefully get a Henry melton/Geno Atkins type, or stay the same weight, and be a Justin Tuck type?
                He's not going to be as bad on the edge as it is made out to be. If you're expecting a ton of sacks from him, you have the wrong expectations. He was the only DE at the Senior Bowl to give Eric Fisher (an extremely gifted and athletic LT/RT prospect mind you) consistent trouble in the practices. People are acting like he won't generate ANY pressure on the edge at all lol. None of this even takes into consideration his character and work ethic. He lights up when talking about guys like Michael Strahan and JJ Watt. He said he is trying to perfect some of the moves Strahan used in his career which I think is cool.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
                  Odds are that we aren't going to draft Jones or Okafor anyway since the Giants are contemplating sending JPP to LDE. Okafor is odd in that he has a RDE body but he doesn't exactly project well there in the NFL since he isn't as fluid as you would expect. He seems to disappear in some games too.
                  They better not move JPP.. I think thats silly.. Especially when u got guys like Datone Jones, Okafor, and Carradine.. Why not just try and fill Tucks spot, and leave JPP alone?

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
                    He's not going to be as bad on the edge as it is made out to be. If you're expecting a ton of sacks from him, you have the wrong expectations. He was the only DE at the Senior Bowl to give Eric Fisher (an extremely gifted and athletic LT/RT prospect mind you) consistent trouble in the practices. People are acting like he won't generate ANY pressure on the edge at all lol. None of this even takes into consideration his character and work ethic. He lights up when talking about guys like Michael Strahan and JJ Watt. He said he is trying to perfect some of the moves Strahan used in his career which I think is cool.
                    Oh i agree.. People like to take things that people might not excel as compared to other players, and act like they just can't do it.. It woulden't surprise me at all, if Datone Jones, has a few 10-12 sack seasons in his career, while also exceling against the run and forcing turnovers... Hes a good fit on this team in my opinion, and a Jones/JPP DE tandem, makes a ton of sense..

                    The thing is, u need that SDE that is actually good at what hes suppoed to be, meaning stopping the run, being very physical, forcing fumbles, and some pass rush will come, just from playing with a high motor, and being strong and physical, to go with ur elite pass rusher on the other side.. Theres a reason we've been so successful with JT..

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                      Is there any word on Tank's recovery from his knee injury?

                      The problem with him could be that it's too early to take him at 19, and he might not be there for us in the second round.
                      He suffered the ACL back in November, no? They had the Pro Day yesterday which is huge for his stock. The only thing I worry about for Carradine really is there is little tape to give a complete judgement on how he might project to the NFL. He does look natural in the 4-3 but I'd like to see more than just one season to go off of.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
                        They better not move JPP.. I think thats silly.. Especially when u got guys like Datone Jones, Okafor, and Carradine.. Why not just try and fill Tucks spot, and leave JPP alone?
                        OMG we agree on something
                        I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
                          He's not going to be as bad on the edge as it is made out to be. If you're expecting a ton of sacks from him, you have the wrong expectations. He was the only DE at the Senior Bowl to give Eric Fisher (an extremely gifted and athletic LT/RT prospect mind you) consistent trouble in the practices. People are acting like he won't generate ANY pressure on the edge at all lol. None of this even takes into consideration his character and work ethic. He lights up when talking about guys like Michael Strahan and JJ Watt. He said he is trying to perfect some of the moves Strahan used in his career which I think is cool.
                          I doubt Jones would much, if ever provide pressure from the edge. Hence my lack of love for him.

                          The kid definitely is upbeat and has a great work ethic. Love that about him.
                          I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                            Is there any word on Tank's recovery from his knee injury?

                            The problem with him could be that it's too early to take him at 19, and he might not be there for us in the second round.
                            I'd be kind of surprised if he wasn't there for us in the second.
                            I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
                              U just got done talking about Tucks pass rush skills like 2posts ago, bringing up his ND numbers , and now ur making excuses to why he dosen't get sacks??lol No kidding, SDE's don't pile up sacks, thats becasue thats not what he excels at, just as Jones don't excel at it.. How can u not see these obvious similarities? 90pct of Tucks sacks come off overpowering blockers, and pushing em in the backfield, using his strength.. Datone Jones is gonna get some sacks using the same method, as thats what he excels at... Tuck and Jones both excel vs the run, both will get some sacks by overpowering lineman , and will force a ton of fumbles becaue of there strength and physicality..

                              Reese has all ready said he wants to get more physical on defense, guys like Datone Jones fits exactly into that..
                              Tuck's NFL sack numbers was what I was talking about.

                              LDE's generally don't see his kind of production (hence my mirth at the comparisons between him and Jones).
                              I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
                                Yeah that is an odd comparison to say the least. Datone can be compared to many guys depending on how you envision him playing in your defense. You're getting a Justin Tuck sort of player if you put him in this defense and although Tuck is a more natural edge rusher, Jones seems to have a great amount of endurance and an excellent motor despite multiple snaps against double teams when he was in UCLA. Pretty much what I'm saying is that he can be a flat out monster on the inside with his combination of strength and speed.

                                I've heard the potential Geno Atkins comparisons when you think of using him at 3 Tech but a more appropriate one would be Henry Melton imo. Melton came into the league initially as a DE but they had him shoot up to 295 so he could slip inside and exploit guards. Either way you look at it, he's not going to be your main pass rusher but he does offer a defense like ours solid run stopping ability on the edge and then he can wreck havoc on the middle of the pocket to open up things for other players. His impact would be felt off the stat sheet but JPP could really use a player like that to get free.
                                I was trying to think of a good comparison to who Jones looks like (besides Kevin Boothe lol) and I think you hit it on the head with Melton ... at least in style of play.

                                Datone Jones has a really odd proportion to him being that bottom heavy.
                                I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X