Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Barkevious Mingo was there at 19 would you take him?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Well, you shouldn't really expect much out of him when he is asked to contain first and pass rush second as a LDE. The fact he recognizes the concept of containment is already a huge plus over the recently departed Osi and he just has that rare first step you can't pass on if he falls to the Giants. LSU is notorious for having athletic specimens on their team that manage to underachieve. I'm not sure if their is an attitude issue in the locker room or if it's just the coaching staff using these kids in the wrong positions. I mean do you think using a 240lb player exclusively at LDE is a good idea? I just know that Michael Brockers was an underachiever last year for the Tigers and then he became a young star at the Rams in his rookie year. Something tells me that LSU is horrible using their defensive players and that a good NFL coaching staff would make Mingo work.
    U cant look at Mingos tape as it is because I feel he was grossly misused. U dont have a 240lb guy play LDE in the SEC. He played a lot of 4 and 5 tech. U have take his athletic ability u see in flashes and project it. I dont get why people dont think he can play in space in a 4-3 defense. The guy is plenty athletic , fast and fluid. He is also the best read option defender in CFB

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
      Ok I am going to ask you straight up. Right now, as he is as a prospect do you think he is more valuable as a 43 SLB or a 34 OLB? You are talking a lot of guesswork above when you talk about what he "could do" or "might not be able to do" and even a few "maybe" in there. He CAN passrush and beat ppl on the edge with speed, we know that. Everything else is guesswork and that lowers value. So do you draft a guy on what he can do? or what he could possibly maybe probably do? IN the 1st round, I look for guys who can do. Maybe it is just me. Hence why I feel he has the most value as a 34 OLB. That doesnt mean he wont get drafted as something else, I just am going with probability.
      Why's it so important to you to pin him as only a 34 or 43 OLB or DE? Everything doesn't have to be black and white. Mingo is a guy who will play multiple positions in any defense. He will primarily be used as an edge rusher on passing downs like you acknowledge and has plenty of athleticism and mobility in the hips to play in space as needed. The majority of the time he will be getting after QBs. As Redeye said above, he will help us tremendously with the read option as well.
      Last edited by DarceChoke; 03-29-2013, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarceChoke View Post
        Why's it so important to you to pin him as only a 34 or 43 OLB or DE? Everything doesn't have to be black and white. Mingo is a guy who will play multiple positions in any defense. He will primarily be used as an edge rusher on passing downs like you acknowledge and has plenty of athleticism and mobility in the hips to play in space as needed. The majority of the time he will be getting after QBs. As Redeye said above, he will help us tremendously with the read option as well.
        Where did I say it is black and white? In fact I even said in the quote you cited that I am going with probability. Do you understand what that means? That is the OPPOSITE of black and white.

Once again, he is the 2nd rated 34 OLb in the draft? There is 1 guy rated higher then him at that position. This is according to most scouts. He projects best to that position.

Therefor, he is more likely to go to 1 of the 34 teams who pick ahead of us Off the top of my head that includes: The Saints, Chargers, Steelers, Jets, Dolphns, Browns, Eagles, and Cardinals. Many of thee teams have a huge passrushing need too.

Now do I think he can play SLB? yes it is possible and even likely. We have seen him display athleticism and speed enough to play LB in a 43. But we have NOT seen him actually do it. He was not tested at the position at the combine or anywhere(or I didnt see it and I watched alot). This does not mean it isnt possible. Now people say "well he is good vs the read option, and that is true. But that helps his 34 OLB stock just as much as his 43 SLB stock, even moreso in fact because most here agree he isnt as likely to end up as a 43 DE

So when you ask me where I think he will end up in the NFL, it is at the 34 passrushing LB spot. He has all the skills visible on tape to perform the duties required for this position.

It doesnt mean it is "black and white" or 100%, it is just PROBABLE in my opinion, which is shared by most scouts.
        sigpic

Comment

Seems like most are of the opinion we could do better than Mingo. He is a questionable fit for us at best in my opinion. There were games last season I watched him in and I wondered if he was even playing. He was on the field but he wasn't productive. We gotta be able to come up with a more sure fire selection in the first.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
            Ok I am going to ask you straight up. Right now, as he is as a prospect do you think he is more valuable as a 43 SLB or a 34 OLB?

You are talking a lot of guesswork above when you talk about what he "could do" or "might not be able to do" and even a few "maybe" in there. He CAN passrush and beat ppl on the edge with speed, we know that. Everything else is guesswork and that lowers value. So do you draft a guy on what he can do? or what he could possibly maybe probably do? IN the 1st round, I look for guys who can do. Maybe it is just me.

Hence why I feel he has the most value as a 34 OLB. That doesnt mean he wont get drafted as something else, I just am going with probability.
            That's exactly my point. His value right now is of a situational pass rusher. Saying he had more value as a 3-4 OLB would only be true if he was in fact a base OLb in a 3-4. Which he may not be. That's every bit the projection that a 4-3 Sam is.

Right now I would guess his value is about the same for both teams

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
              That's exactly my point. His value right now is of a situational pass rusher. Saying he had more value as a 3-4 OLB would only be true if he was in fact a base OLb in a 3-4. Which he may not be. That's every bit the projection that a 4-3 Sam is.

Right now I would guess his value is about the same for both teams
              Ok, well you are in the minority. Most scouts project him as a 34 OLB.
              sigpic

Comment

at the end of the day.. Mingo is a great value at #19..

Comment

Originally posted by Carter.525 View Post
                  at the end of the day.. Mingo is a great value at #19..
                  Who would u choose on draft day if both were available.. Werner or Mandingo?

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
                    Who would u choose on draft day if both were available.. Werner or Mandingo?
                    1A- Werner
                    1B- Ogletree

Comment

Working...
                    X