Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point would you consider trading up for Star Lotulelei?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
    I disagree that signing a 32 year old DT will affect our draft strategy in any way. JR is (and has to be) much more of a long term thinker.
    Agree. Lots of memebers here are thinking these off-season signings and workouts with Vet players will somehow affect the position we pick. We do this for depth in camp to see who can outperform who. By no means should this affect the positions we draft. We have quite a few areas with little or no talent that we crucially need to fill with aspiring young blood.
    Last edited by TAILGATIN'; 04-03-2013, 10:23 AM.
    2017 Draft Wishlist:
    1. Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford
    2. Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio State
    3. Roderick Johnson OT Florida State
    4. Jordan Leggett TE Clemson
    5. Ryan Glasgow DT Michegan
    6. Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss
    7. Billy Brown WR Shepherd

sigpic
    "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
      I totally disagree ... one of the reasons he was mocked so high to begin with was that he could excel at almost any technique.

He's very APPEALING as a 0-tech I agree, since dominating 0-techs aren't easy to find. But he easily can play (and excel) as a 3-tech in my mind.

I'd take him in a heart beat over Sheldon Richardson if he dropped to us.

However with the Cullen Jenkins signing, we probably don't go DT in the first.
      Well, every single scouting report I find has him rated higher as a 0-tech(nose tackle). All of the teams represented at his pro day with defensive line coaches were 34 teams(according to NFLdraftscout.com)

So, im gonna stick with my opinion.
      sigpic

Comment

Roughly half of the teams that went to his proday are true 3-4 teams. The patriots are almost exclusively a 4-3 team now. Jets are a hybrid front team that wants guys who can play multiple spots.

Steelers are a traditional 3-4, but need DEs and NTs.

Cardinals run a lot of hybrid stuff lately. And need a DE more than a NT because Dockett may be on his way out and they actually keep their DEs on the field almost every down.

Chargers run a 50 front which is what Dallas ran with wade Phillips. They look for penetrating NTs. While they line up at 0, they really are asked to play more like a 1 or 3tech

I would say every team looking at him likes the versatility of him being able to line up at multiple spots
        Last edited by slipknottin; 04-03-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
          Roughly half of the teams that went to his proday are true 3-4 teams. The patriots are almost exclusively a 4-3 team now. Jets are a hybrid front team that wants guys who can play multiple spots.

Steelers are a traditional 3-4, but need DEs and NTs.

Cardinals run a lot of hybrid stuff lately. And need a DE more than a NT because Dockett may be on his way out and they actually keep their DEs on the field almost every down.

Chargers run a 50 front which is what Dallas ran with wade Phillips. They look for penetrating NTs. While they line up at 0, they really are asked to play more like a 1 or 3tech

I would say every team looking at him likes the versatility of him being able to line up at multiple spots
          That fair, his versatility helps him for sure.

But, as a 0 tech, he is a top 10 prospect, maybe a top 5. He is the best 0 tech prospect in the draft according to many.

He is not the best 3 tech in the draft, and not nearly as highly rated because he is likely a 2 down player as a 3 tech..

Every team present at his pro day uses a 34. I did not say they were exclusely a 34 team.
          Last edited by BlueSanta; 04-03-2013, 01:59 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
            Well, every single scouting report I find has him rated higher as a 0-tech(nose tackle). All of the teams represented at his pro day with defensive line coaches were 34 teams(according to NFLdraftscout.com)

So, im gonna stick with my opinion.
            You need to read more.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...star-lotulelei

After Sharrif Floyd, Star is considered the best 3-tech (among other things) in the draft. And I'd argue that Star is a better 3-tech than Floyd.

Yes, he's highly vaunted because he can play the 0-tech. He is NOT being overlooked by 4-3 teams as a sole 0-tech NT though. Big difference.

And most of the teams that are being mocked for him, are pure 4-3 defenses (i.e. Vikings, Jags, Panthers, Titans, etc ...).
            I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

That fair, his versatility helps him for sure.

But, as a 0 tech, he is a top 10 prospect, maybe a top 5. He is the best 0 tech prospect in the draft according to many.

He is not the best 3 tech in the draft, and not nearly as highly rated because he is likely a 2 down player as a 3 tech..

Every team present at his pro day uses a 34. I did not say they were exclusely a 34 team.
              I don't even think hes as good a player as Kawaan Short as a 3tech.. I think Short makes more plays, is more agile and athletic, and the only place i see him better as a 3 tech then Short is run stopping, mainly due to hes alittle stronger and more physical.. But we got Linval Joseph, whos plenty big and strong, and if anything, we need a player who can attack behind the line and make plays, ala Keith Hamilton...

Comment

Star's ability to beat the double team, and his straight line speed, and physical pressence, remind me alot of Casey Hampton when he came out...I think the steelers would be wise to try and gobble this kid up and even trade up to get em to take Caseys place and never miss a beat... Hes got strong hands as well, and is a space eater.. These are all great things to have as a NT in a 3/4...

Comment

Think DT is not going to be drafted now. They have what, 6 DTs on the roster?

Kuhn, linval, Austin, Jenkins, Patterson, and Rogers

Unless they plan on cutting 4 of them, they aren't drafting a DT

Comment

You need to read more.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...star-lotulelei

Yes, he's highly vaunted because he can play the 0-tech. He is NOT being overlooked by 4-3 teams as a sole 0-tech NT though. Big difference.

And most of the teams that are being mocked for him, are pure 4-3 defenses (i.e. Vikings, Jags, Panthers, Titans, etc ...).
                    and yet not once of those teams was present at his pro day according to NFLdraftscout.com.......

Furthermore, I never said he was being overlooked by 43. I said he has the most value as 0-tech, there is a difference.

Lastly, which mocks are you refering to? just out of curiousity.
                    sigpic

Comment

Why? We already know that a big part of the Giants' draft equation is need. If the need isn't there, neither is the priority (barring a really highly rated player that falls to us in a priority position such as Prince).

Before the Jenkins signing we were desperate for a DT with Joseph, Austin, Kuhn and Rogers representing our starters and depth. With Jenkins in the mix, you can make the argument that the need isn't there (or not nearly as prevalent) and that the Jenkins signing gives Reese one more year to see if Austin pans out.

If that's the case, DT most likely won't be our first pick. If Star falls to us, we'll see what happens
                      I would argue that JR's strategy in free agency - particularly this year - is to minimize team need when drafting, and focus on talent & positional value.

Comment

and yet not once of those teams was present at his pro day according to NFLdraftscout.com.......

Furthermore, I never said he was being overlooked by 43. I said he has the most value as 0-tech, there is a difference.

Lastly, which mocks are you refering to? just out of curiousity.
                        I just linked you one that has four mocks for him. The only 3-4 team on that list (CBS') is the Eagles (assuming the Eagles actually switch to a 3-4 this year).
                        I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by wideright91 View Post
                          I would argue that JR's strategy in free agency - particularly this year - is to minimize team need when drafting, and focus on talent & positional value.
                          I would say that's his strategy every year.

Considering we just signed ANOTHER vet DT (Mike Patterson) I highly doubt you see the Giants draft a DT in the first two rounds (if at all).

It's not like I'm looking into a crystal ball ... there are only so many spots on the roster.

Same with OT for those that keep wanting to see us draft an OT early ... we have like eight on the roster (including PS guys). While I'm not comfortable with any of them myself (for the RT spot), I don't watch them everyday in practice either.

LBer is another area that we seem to be filling up with small signings. The more you look at what the Giants are doing, the more you see a DE being the primary focus. After that I'd say either CB or LBer (depending if we actually sign another LBer before the draft).

I wouldn't be totally shocked to see us sign Tyler Eifert either (but we've treated TE similar to LBer under Reese).

Comment

By the look of all the vet DT's on the roster my guess is Marvin Austin is getting 1 last chance and the Giants wait another year to draft a DT

Comment

I would say that's his strategy every year.

Considering we just signed ANOTHER vet DT (Mike Patterson) I highly doubt you see the Giants draft a DT in the first two rounds (if at all).

It's not like I'm looking into a crystal ball ... there are only so many spots on the roster.

Same with OT for those that keep wanting to see us draft an OT early ... we have like eight on the roster (including PS guys). While I'm not comfortable with any of them myself (for the RT spot), I don't watch them everyday in practice either.

LBer is another area that we seem to be filling up with small signings. The more you look at what the Giants are doing, the more you see a DE being the primary focus. After that I'd say either CB or LBer (depending if we actually sign another LBer before the draft).

I wouldn't be totally shocked to see us sign Tyler Eifert either (but we've treated TE similar to LBer under Reese).
                              Ive said all along except for the week they cut Canty that I thought they would draft a DE in the first. I still think it will be

Comment

Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
                                Ive said all along except for the week they cut Canty that I thought they would draft a DE in the first. I still think it will be
                                Ditto.

Comment

Working...
                                X