Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ty Powell LB Harding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ty Powell LB Harding

    I am wondering about this kid as potentially our future SLB? He used to play Safety before transferring to Harding, and i read that Jeff Fitzgerald worked the kid out for about a hour, and he displayed great ball skills and looked really good in the drills, and he also played QB in high school, so this kids got a good perspective on many diffrent positons on the field and was playing safety at 6ft 4in 240lbs before moving on to Harding, and has some coverege ability from his former time at safety, and had a nice combine to boot.... Some have him projected as a 3/4 OLB, but with his background at Safety, and his speed for his size, and strength, i'm thinking he could play some OLB for a 4/3 team.. Thoughts?



    He also played DE, and could be a solid situational pass rusher as well.. This kid can do alot of things on the football field... A intersting prospect, that i wish i could watch some tape on...

  • #2
    Heres some tape of him playing safety before transferring to Harding.. Ridiculous closing speed, and shows he can do some things in coverege, and were talking about SLB if he came here..

    Ty Powell De Anza College - YouTube

    ► 4:30 www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9MQ-RfSCM4

    Comment


    • #3
      National Football Post's Russ Lande writes Harding DL Ty Powell could slip into the bottom of the third-round."...Powell’s workout reinforced his strong Combine workout and stellar play at Harding and has him in position to be a likely fourth round pick who could slip into the bottom of the third if the rumors I have been hearing from NFL personnel are correct," Lande writes. Powell could be a good fit as a strong-side linebacker in a 4-3 defense. Mar 7 - 1:38 PM

      Source: National Football Post
      Never heard of him, but I found this

      Comment


      • #4
        Wow, Lande thinks he can go as high as 3rd rd, ey? I was thinking 4th myself, but that isn't to far off.. he also agrees about 43 SLB, which is funny, because i was just knocking Lande the other day, and here we are in agreement a couple days later..lol Ya, like i said, watch that video, the kids got the expierence in coverege, and can work through traffic to defend the run and get off blocks, and has the closing speed to chop down RB's and QB's behind the line as well as some speed.. I like em, but would like to see more film..

        Comment


        • #5
          Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl believes Harding's Ty Powell is a great fit at SLB or as a pass rusher in a 3-4.Weidl makes sure to note that he is "very high on" the Harding product. Powell "has traits that translate to NFL level," tweeted Weidl. "Long, explosive and covers a lot of ground in a hurry." Mar 3 - 2:53 PM

          Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter
          Here's another one..

          Comment


          • #6
            Yup, that closing speed jumps off the tape above.. I didn't realize so many others were high on him as well.. He has so much versatility its not funny.. If we were to get a Alec Ogletree at inside LB and then Ty Powell at SLB, with Jaquian Williams as our future WLB, we'd have a nice trio of backers, that are fast and instinctive and can play the pass, and the run, especially in powells case.. I think that would be a crazy trio of backers..

            Comment


            • #7
              Heres a overview of Powell from NFL.COM


              Overview
              While Powell is a defensive end now, his high school career certainly wouldn’t have given you any indication of that. As a senior, Powell led Seaside High School to a state championship victory as the starting quarterback and cornerback. Powell’s career started at DeAnza College. As a sophomore, he was first team all-state, first-team All-Golden Gate Conference and Golden Gate Conference Defensive Most Valuable Player. In his sophomore year, he had 69 tackles, including 3.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, two interceptions, and five pass breakups.





              In 2011, Powell started three games and had seven tackles (2.5 for loss) and two sacks. As a senior, Powell recorded 40 tackles (15 for loss) and 8.5 sacks. After the season, Powell participated in both the Texas vs. The Nation Game, and in the Senior Bowl. Powell was also named second-team All-America by D2football.com. He is only the second Bison to earn All-America honors from the organization, who also named Torrance “Tank” Daniels to its All-America team in 2005

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
                Yup, that closing speed jumps off the tape above.. I didn't realize so many others were high on him as well.. He has so much versatility its not funny.. If we were to get a Alec Ogletree at inside LB and then Ty Powell at SLB, with Jaquian Williams as our future WLB, we'd have a nice trio of backers, that are fast and instinctive and can play the pass, and the run, especially in powells case.. I think that would be a crazy trio of backers..
                That's sounds good too me.. Need upgrades at the mike and sam, here's his pro day

                http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzKXntDOd4

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Carter.525 View Post
                  That's sounds good too me.. Need upgrades at the mike and sam, here's his pro day

                  http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzKXntDOd4
                  Not to often, u can get a player of so many capabilities.. This kid does alittle bit of everything, and can make plays all over the field.. I'd think Fewell would be very excited to have this guy aboard...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
                    Not to often, u can get a player of so many capabilities.. This kid does alittle bit of everything, and can make plays all over the field.. I'd think Fewell would be very excited to have this guy aboard...
                    He slipped through the cracks for me, as I've said I've never heard of him.. But I'm becoming a fan. He looks like a good fit at SLB

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have heard of him before but never could find a whole lot of tape on him. The majority of the things that I would read about him would be giving him praise in his scouting reports saying that he is a very underrated guy and can play in a 3-4 and 4-3 which is nice to see versatility in a guy like that. It is always a shame when looking for sleepers or just under the radar guys and it is hard to locate much film on them in game.
                      sigpic
                      S/O to Flip Empty for the sig
                      ________________________________________________________
                      Mock Draft
                      1st) O.J Howard TE Bama 2nd) D. Walker DE F.S.U 3rd) S. Perine RB Oklahoma
                      4th) E. Magnuson OT/OG Mich 5th) J. Replogle DT Purde
                      6th) Fred Ross WR Miss St 7th) J. Reeves-Maybin LB Tenn
                      ________________________________________________________
                      Strick's 2015 All-Sleeper Team - http://boards.giants.com/showthread....t=sleeper+team

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
                        I have heard of him before but never could find a whole lot of tape on him. The majority of the things that I would read about him would be giving him praise in his scouting reports saying that he is a very underrated guy and can play in a 3-4 and 4-3 which is nice to see versatility in a guy like that. It is always a shame when looking for sleepers or just under the radar guys and it is hard to locate much film on them in game.
                        You can check out that tape of him i put up.. Its a college tape, just before he transferred to Harding is all.. He played S then though, but still, gives u a idea of his closing speed, hard hitting ability, wrap up tackling ability, and gives u a idea of how this guy could be decent in coverege as well, for being a SLB...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Reese usually tries to find one or two gems projects late in the draft, J WIlliams, Markus Kuhn. He's worth a shot we need depth behind Rivers and JWill. Love his closing in speed and spear tackling lol. He reminds me a little of Will Hill our Safety. This are his 2010 highlights

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9MQ-RfSCM4
                          Last edited by BlessedinBlue22; 04-14-2013, 10:53 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
                            Reese usually tries to find one or two gems projects late in the draft, J WIlliams, Markus Kuhn. He's worth a shot we need depth behind Rivers and JWill. Love his closing in speed and spear tackling lol. He reminds me a little of Will Hill our Safety. This are his 2010 highlights

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9MQ-RfSCM4
                            Maybe before will hill, but hes 246lb beast that stands 6fte 4in.. I like the fact he played S before, but he'd not of lasted there if he played with the big boys(better comp), but ya, his closing speed, expiernece in coverege, and he just played end and LB this past yr, this guys got expierence everywhere, speed , power, and seems really technically sound in his tackling ability, and boy he hits!

                            I'd love to watch David Bass DE vs Ty Powell, as there teams played in postseason this past yr.. There 2 of my fave sleepers... I really don't know who Powell reminds me of, becuase hes so unique...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1600967-the-biggest-sleeper-at-every-position-in-the-2013-nfl-draft/page/9

                              B
                              R article about him saying biggest sleeper at the DE/OLB position. I usually don't really trust things that are on that particular site but I think that this article is pretty good because of the fact that a lot of the sleepers that he states at positions are pretty solid players who are over looked. I think its reassuring that he must cover pretty well for a LB because of the fact he was a CB in high school then played S in college. He also has played DE and LB haha. That is crazy to see that someone has played at every level of the defense even at college. He ran a 4.6 at the combine I believe with like a 37 inch vertical so he is definitely fast and explosive for a LB!
                              sigpic
                              S/O to Flip Empty for the sig
                              ________________________________________________________
                              Mock Draft
                              1st) O.J Howard TE Bama 2nd) D. Walker DE F.S.U 3rd) S. Perine RB Oklahoma
                              4th) E. Magnuson OT/OG Mich 5th) J. Replogle DT Purde
                              6th) Fred Ross WR Miss St 7th) J. Reeves-Maybin LB Tenn
                              ________________________________________________________
                              Strick's 2015 All-Sleeper Team - http://boards.giants.com/showthread....t=sleeper+team

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X