Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Beatty VS. Justin Pugh . Comparing prospects.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Rat_bastich View Post
    I was listening to an interview with Ernie Accorsi about Pugh. The question was brought up about his reach and Accorsi's reaction was...he isn't bussing tables. So there you go...Accorsi and his protege' are on board with this pick.
    Okay, I know this is sort of beating a dead horse. I'm not an expert so here is my question. Is Pugh's arm length really that big of a problem?

    From my stand point I imagine it is not, i mean it's not like it is 2" or 3" shorter. Is this really going to cause problems? or are some ppl just blowing it out of proportion?

    Stand with Cruz!
    80

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
      And he still managed 22 on the bench (not to mention coming back from said shoulder injury and giving up a half-sack and no hurries all year).

      I don't think strength is an issue personally.
      22 reps is pretty poor though, especially for someone with short arms.

      I wonder if its shoulder related still?

      Comment


      • #18
        I don't think concerns about his strength is limited to his upper body [bench press / injured shoulder]. He does get pushed back his share and starts falling off kilter when engaged. That can be anywhere from his base to his core. I think that can obviously be remedied, I just don't think he has that much more to grow into.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by giantscolombia View Post
          Okay, I know this is sort of beating a dead horse. I'm not an expert so here is my question. Is Pugh's arm length really that big of a problem?

          From my stand point I imagine it is not, i mean it's not like it is 2" or 3" shorter. Is this really going to cause problems? or are some ppl just blowing it out of proportion?
          Nope, not at all but it seems to be the 'experts' knock on him and something for fans to have fun with. Unless of course he is falling from an insane height and misses catching onto a branch by an inch or two or if the trainers and players get tired of buckling his chin strap for him.
          Last edited by Rat_bastich; 05-03-2013, 05:37 AM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by penguinfarmer View Post
            I just don't think he has that much more to grow into.
            That is the part of your statement I do not understand. Why do you think this? Do you have insight into his frame that we do not? Reese mentioned he has plenty of room for bulk. What is your basis? Is it the short arms?

            Or, are you stating someone else's opinion? Because generally, unless I have actually seen the guy up close, I think it is impossible to tell this kind of information from a video of a guy playing football. He is 6'5 306 LBS, he is pretty lean for a guy that size. If anything, that would suggest he has plenty room to add bulk, maybe not as much as a guy with 35 inch arms, but he has plenty.
            Last edited by BlueSanta; 05-03-2013, 06:25 AM.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #21
              That comment was more about upside than his stature. It's the old waver of would you rather select a talented specimen with limited football fundamentals or a more polished player who excelled through his technique in college moving onto the NFL where his opponents now also have that advantage.

              I would have always assumed that the Giants valued the former as I believe it's easier to teach technique to a physically superior individual than to hope a player somehow develops some physical attributes he didn't have before.

              Pugh was a pretty good technician coming out who compensated for his reach pretty well with his ability to shift and mirror. I don't think he was the athlete that Beatty was which is the premise of this thread.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                22 reps is pretty poor though, especially for someone with short arms.

                I wonder if its shoulder related still?
                Yeah if you have a bum shoulder you aren't benching squat. A strained rotator (or a healing one) would limit you a lot on that particular exercise.

                He's never struck me as physically weak while playing (quite the opposite).
                I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                  Is that from 2012 film? Or 2011?

                  Reese said 2012 he was clearly not at full strength with his shoulder injury, and seemed much stronger towards the end of the season when he was healed up
                  And how limited was he in the weight room because of that shoulder injury.. All needs to be taken into account.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
                    That is the part of your statement I do not understand. Why do you think this? Do you have insight into his frame that we do not? Reese mentioned he has plenty of room for bulk. What is your basis? Is it the short arms?

                    Or, are you stating someone else's opinion? Because generally, unless I have actually seen the guy up close, I think it is impossible to tell this kind of information from a video of a guy playing football. He is 6'5 306 LBS, he is pretty lean for a guy that size. If anything, that would suggest he has plenty room to add bulk, maybe not as much as a guy with 35 inch arms, but he has plenty.
                    How do longer arms equate to a bodys ability to add more bulk?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Eli TO Shockey View Post
                      How do longer arms equate to a bodys ability to add more bulk?
                      Larger frame = more possible mass.

                      But I'm not sure longer arms would contribute significantly to that and we're really talking about adding 10-15 lbs at the most which he could certainly do without impacting his back step.

                      The "frame" talk is a little strange in that regard.
                      I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                        The "frame" talk is a little strange in that regard.
                        Which is why I brought it up. I can understand knocking Pugh for a variety of reasons. I just don't get why someone can say they think he has limited ability to add bulk without intimiate knowledge of his body(ok it just got weird in here.)

                        By all accounts of his coaches he has added a ton of strength in his time at Cuse, yet he is still somewhat of a lean guy. I could see him really adding that extra power quite easily under the supervision of a quality training program, such as the ones offered by NFL teams.


                        I do not think he will ever be a mauler, but with his excellent footwork and technique I don't think he has to be the strongest guy in the NFL to be successful. His strength isn't what concerns me about him because it is easier to add strength than it is to learn technique.. A guy with good technique and proper bend, such as he has, will be far more effective than a powerhouse with mediocre technique. Pancake blocks are nice for pro bowl votes, but are no more effective than simply keeping the guy you are supposed to block from making the tackle or sack. Pugh is not a perfect pick, but he is pretty good at keeping the guy he is blocking from making the play, and that is ultimately what it is all about.
                        Last edited by BlueSanta; 05-03-2013, 05:30 PM.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Again, no one was talking about his body. The comparison was between Beatty and Pugh, and that Pugh doesn't seem like he has that much more to grow into as a player as Beatty did with less athleticism and better technique.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by penguinfarmer View Post
                            Again, no one was talking about his body. The comparison was between Beatty and Pugh, and that Pugh doesn't seem like he has that much more to grow into as a player as Beatty did with less athleticism and better technique.
                            I understand. But, you must see from your post why we would think you were talking about his frame. You were talking about his strength then went right into "not having much room to grow into."

                            Easy to misunderstand. No biggie.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Hopefully, Beatty, with his long arms and vertical can stay on the field this season.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Everyone already knows Pugh's arms are too short to be a LT. He will make a great guard some day tho.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X