The Giants in 2014 passed on Gabe Jackson to draft Jay Bromley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Giants in 2014 passed on Gabe Jackson to draft Jay Bromley

Giants had the 74th pick and reached for Jay Bromley.

7 picks later, Raiders take Gabe Jackson at 81.

Fast-forward 3 years:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/880557608809119744

​​​​​

I wanted Gabe Jackson real bad that year. Actually mentioned this exact thing today. Saw he was working on an extension with the Raiders and told my dad we could've gotten him in the mid-rounds but ended up with some bum instead.....probably Bromley. I actually didn't realize it was, in fact, Bromley that we took. Unreal.
    NFL Draft (Realistic Hope):

Rd 1
    Garrett Bolles - OT
    David Njoku - TE
    Zach Cunningham - OLB

Comment

Originally posted by CRF11504 View Post
      Giants had the 74th pick and reached for Jay Bromley.

7 picks later, Raiders take Gabe Jackson at 81.

Fast-forward 3 years:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/880557608809119744

​​​​​
      Wasn't Bromley the one that was picked on 2nd day and forecasting was putting him late 3rd day. In fact he was so sure he was going to be a 6th or 7th round selection that he wasn't even watching the Draft night two. He was actually at a video store with his GF renting a movie when he got the Call

They don't call him Jerry Reach for nothing

Sickening
      Football has been very, very good to us.
      After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
      But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
      2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
      3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
      4-New York Giants!!!
      5-NE
      Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post

Wasn't Bromley the one that was picked on 2nd day and forecasting was putting him late 3rd day. In fact he was so sure he was going to be a 6th or 7th round selection that he wasn't even watching the Draft night two. He was actually at a video store with his GF renting a movie when he got the Call

Sickening
        Yep. This was one of JR's infamous reaches. When drafted, most pegged him as a late round pick. If I recall correctly, the analysts didn't have much to say about Bromley, b/c they were caught of guard and assumed he wouldn't be picked until the following day. While some on here, mostly JR apologists, have said Bromely was considered a first round talent, I never heard remember hearing that.

Luckily, JR has had two of the best off-seasons I can ever remember these last two years. He seems to have stopped reaching on potential and gotten back to the basics of drafting players with actual talent and leadership qualities.

Rd 1
        Garrett Bolles - OT
        David Njoku - TE
        Zach Cunningham - OLB

Comment

Originally posted by Piddy283 View Post
          I wanted Gabe Jackson real bad that year. Actually mentioned this exact thing today. Saw he was working on an extension with the Raiders and told my dad we could've gotten him in the mid-rounds but ended up with some bum instead.....probably Bromley. I actually didn't realize it was, in fact, Bromley that we took. Unreal.
          I wanted him there also. I liked Bromley also, but I expected he'd be there later in the draft. Jackson stuck out like a sore thumb on the remaining players at that time in the draft though.

Comment

I dont like threads like this ripping the team after passing on a really good player in the draft. All of the other teams passed on him and even the raiders did once or twice.
            We all that we got!

Comment

For those of you claiming that you wanted Jackson at that spot in the draft, bump the draft threads where you said that, or else it didn't happen ....
              Last edited by TCHOF; 07-01-2017, 11:41 AM.

Comment

The bright side is we got a transcendent talent at wide receiver, a solid center who has shown the ability be elite, and a solid above average SAM in the same draft.

I'd usually have a problem with hindsight draft threads like this, but I do remember a lot of Giants fans hoping for Jackson and Bromley was definetly a reach.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                  For those of you claiming that you wanted Jackson at that spot in the draft, bump the draft threads where you said that, or else it didn't happen ....
                  http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...l-heavy-please
                  http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...jackson-please
                  http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...-rd-pick/page2
                  http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...6-gabe-jackson

Rd 1
                  Garrett Bolles - OT
                  David Njoku - TE
                  Zach Cunningham - OLB

Comment

Excellent job!

Wonder if anyone else claiming to have wanted Jackson can back up their claim like you did ....

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post

Sickening
                      +1

Comment

I remember a good number of posters wanting him as high as the 2nd round

Comment

Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
                          I remember a good number of posters wanting him as high as the 2nd round
                          Reese and his brilliant list of 3rd round choices

Comment

While not always reliable or the best source for information, here is his NFL Draft Profile from that year

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...ley?id=2543860

Projected rounds 4-5

Comment

Man we passed on Tom Brady that one time too... crazy how much we suck at draft... NOT

Comment

Working...
                              X