No announcement yet.

2018 NFL Draft, Way too early edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you all think of Clayton Thorson, QB at Northwestern?
    SuperMario82 on old GMB

Comment

• 5 - Sam Hubbard (DE, Ohio State)

Hubbard is an interesting case. He plays on a stacked with future NFL players, several of whom could be first round picks. The possibility that teammates make a player look better than he is has to be taken into consideration, but Hubbard has intriguing potential. He was a safety in high school, but has added mass and strength to play on the defensive line in college -- and I’m always a sucker for a “work ethic” guy. He retains something of that “DB” athleticism, and is not only a good rusher off the edge, but is also capable of making plays in space.

I could also mention Tyquan Lewis and Dre’Mont Jones in this section as well. That OSU line is THAT stacked, and Nick Bosa isn’t even draft eligible yet.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/12/...clelin-farrell

I think hubbard chas the tools and potential to be one of the best LBs prospects in the draft, if not the best. He is fantastic in space and is big and strong and can cover. Plus he can rush the QB. Its too bad he is rated so highly as a high first rounder, as he would be a fantastic player for the Giants D, especially if he successfully converted to LB. Even though he isn't a LB in college he may be the best LB prospect in the draft. Maybe not, but maybe.

Comment

• ILB, Oren Burks, Vanderbilt

It's become apparent NFL defenses need to shift from the old-school bulky inside linebackers to more athletic defenders—that's where McKenzie shortchanges his defense.

Vanderbilt's Oren Burks has played the hybrid linebacker-safety position during his four years on the collegiate level.

Burks played safety as a freshman and sophomore. Then he transitioned to the hybrid "star" position and, finally, started 11 games at inside linebacker in 2017. He's not a stiff and moves fluidly in space.

The Vanderbilt product's skill set as a defensive back will help him excel in coverage as a linebacker on the professional level. He's logged five interceptions over the past three seasons.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...fl-draft-picks

Comment

• OT DESMOND HARRISON, WEST GEORGIA

The Jets don't have a huge, pressing need at offensive tackle, but they will need to find their left tackle of the future at some point. Kelvin Beachum's contract means he likely will return to the Jets in 2018. And at right tackle, the Jets have Brandon Shell, a 2016 draft pick. But Beachum probably isn't a long-term answer. With Harrison, the level of competition obviously is a question mark

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ets_to_co.html

Small school name OT i've not heard yet is listed in the article as top 20 pick for the NY Jets first round selection possibility. Somehow I doubt it but cool to see some outside the box names start to be thrown around by the media.

Comment

• Idaho State offensive guard Skyler Phillips (71) was injured last year and received a medical redshirt for 2017

EARLY 2018 PROJECTION: No. 6 offensive guard, No. 169 overall, 5th round projected

Phillips -- who has accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl -- is a fifth-year senior with loads of NFL potential, and he has proven to be quite versatile on the line also. Scouts love the fact that he could scoot over to the center position or play guard -- and if you need him at left tackle, he's done that too. This is exactly what a pro staff is looking for when it is putting together a 53-man roster, and Phillips is a brawler on the line and a smart player.

https://herosports.com/fcs-playoffs/...mber-2017-ajaj

another under the radar guy apparently

Comment

• Wide Receivers: look how many there are LOL

http://waitingfornextyear.com/2017/1...018-nfl-draft/

Comment

• Offensive Tackles... some under the radar names in there>>>>

http://waitingfornextyear.com/2017/1...018-nfl-draft/

Comment

• Originally posted by Kovalchuk71 View Post
                  What do you all think of Clayton Thorson, QB at Northwestern?
                  Thorson has a lot of tools, but should stay in school. He will have a chance to go round 1 next year.

Comment

• I only did a 5 round mock, but I think we'd be sitting pretty if we had a few of these guys. Unfortunately a decent LB wasn't available after the first 3 rounds.

Round 1: Josh Rosen - QB
                    Round 2: Martez Ivey - G
                    Round 3: Nick Chubb - RB
                    Round 4: Jeff Holland - EDGE
                    Round 5: Frank Ragnow - C

Comment

• Josey jewel LB

i think tdawg was high on the guy early on. i didn't think he could cover...but apparently according to the article he excelled in coverage this season.>>>>

"More than anything, though, I believe the Raiders will love his abilities against the pass. They’ve had the worst luck with linebackers when it comes to cover skills. Jewell is an underrated pass defender who uses his instincts and intelligence to keep the ball out of opponents’ hands."

Sounds like a huge win for Oakland, especially in the third round.

https://nflspinzone.com/2017/12/14/n...rrent-picks/7/

worth a good look if he can cover. dude is a baller

Comment

• Originally posted by SemperBlue View Post
                        I only did a 5 round mock, but I think we'd be sitting pretty if we had a few of these guys. Unfortunately a decent LB wasn't available after the first 3 rounds.

Round 1: Josh Rosen - QB
                        Round 2: Martez Ivey - G
                        Round 3: Nick Chubb - RB
                        Round 4: Jeff Holland - EDGE
                        Round 5: Frank Ragnow - C
                        Thats some good picks right there!!!

Just got to maintain the current Draft Position a few more weeks and then the Mocks will really start heating up in the off season. People always talk about the pick in the sense that the Giant's have the #2 overall Pick.

They do!!! But what most fail to mention is that they would have the #2 pick in each and every Round after that as well. Meaning the cream of the crop at the Top of every round which means they should come out with at Least 4/5 really great players. Rounds 5-7 are usually a crap shoot but they are picking at the top so maybe they even hit on some good ones in the later rounds as well

And remember. It was mainly Reese, TC & Mac that refused to Trade down for more picks. Maybe are new GM and Coach will take after BB and the Pats who seem to stockpile picks like crazy and always end up getting good players even though the are constantly picking at the bottom of the Draft. Maybe need to Raid their FO???
                        Last edited by miked1958; 12-14-2017, 05:07 PM.
                        Football has been very, very good to us.
                        After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                        But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                        2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                        3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                        4-New York Giants!!!
                        5-NE
                        Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

• Derwin James, one of the elite athlete prospects in the draft,
                          is projected to be an outside Linebacker, weak side or Will linebacker or SS in the NFL by NFL peronsell>>>>>>>>

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...018-turnaround

article also says the Giants need an OT or two and an inside OL to turn the team around next season...... pretty sure they need a bit more than that but OK

Comment

• Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post

Thorson has a lot of tools, but should stay in school. He will have a chance to go round 1 next year.
                            Damn, looks like Thorson just tore his ACL on a trick play.

Tough break. Wow.
                            SuperMario82 on old GMB

Comment

• we've come along way since the thread started...things will become more & more clear from here methinks....

LB Tremaine edmunds is gaining steam, & rightfully so ...dude can flat out ball, & unlike roquan smith has no size concerns.
                              Virginia Tech LB Tremaine Edmunds
                              Player comp: Anthony Barr
                              Edmunds is an elite athlete and he has unique height/length for an off-the-ball linebacker. He reminds me so much of Barr coming out of UCLA. Both guys fit in any system and can play inside or outside. I think Edmunds will be a superstar at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...d-of-tony-romo

USC QB Sam Darnold
                              Player comp: Tony Romo
                              Darnold's a little bit taller than Romo, but they have a similar build. Like Romo during his playing career, Darnold is a really good athlete and is outstanding with his creativity when the play breaks down. Every now and then, both of them press their luck and make an ill-advised throw, but they each have rare playmaking ability.

Virginia Tech LB Tremaine Edmunds
                              Player comp: Anthony Barr
                              Edmunds is an elite athlete and he has unique height/length for an off-the-ball linebacker. He reminds me so much of Barr coming out of UCLA. Both guys fit in any system and can play inside or outside. I think Edmunds will be a superstar at the next level.

Georgia RB Sony Michel
                              Player comp: Kareem Hunt
                              I was a big fan of Michel during the fall and he took his game to another level in the postseason. His balance, power and pass-catching skills remind me a lot of Hunt when he was coming out of Toledo last year. Hunt was a bargain for the Chiefs in Round 3, and due to the running back depth in this class, Michel could end up being an incredible value pick as well.

Notre Dame OG Quenton Nelson
                              Player comp: Kelechi Osemele
                              Nelson is the easiest player to evaluate in this draft class. He is a nasty, mauling run blocker. His size and temperament remind me a lot of Osemele. Once they get their hands on the defender, it's over. Both guys produce highlight-reel knockdowns and both guys are feared by opposing players.

Washington DT Vita Vea
                              Player comp: Haloti Ngata
                              I was scouting the West Coast for the Ravens when we drafted Ngata. He had rare size and agility. I think Vea is a more explosive version of Ngata. That's a scary thought.

Ohio State CB Denzel Ward
                              Player comp: Adam Jones
                              Ward is one of my favorite prospects. He's undersized, but he plays bigger than his size and he's extremely explosive. I put a huge grade on Adam Jones (he was known as PacMan back then) and I did the same with Ward. Special player.

Comment

• LB malik jefferson overrated, & not a day one pick according to the article>>>> round 2 grade given

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...lds-projection

Comment

Working...
                                X