2018 OL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post
    So we know how utterly terrible this group is and it may well derail the high hopes we have for this season. If anyone watched the Vikings last night, you saw a team with a brand new starting 5 on the OL from last year. And Minnesota's OL from last year was as bad if not worse than ours. So how did they do it and is it a formula we can follow? Their OL last night looked terrific

Minnesota signed two new OTs in FA. Riley Reiff is a guy I thought the Giants should look into. I thought he got paid a little too much but looking at his performance last night, the Vikings may have been right there. Their LG was Nick Easton, who is a 3rd year UDFA that was drafted as a C. Pat Elflein was their 3rd round pick this year and he is the C. Their RG was Joe Berger was used to be their starting C and was moved to RG.

So based on this, what do we do? Pugh and Richburg are both FAs. I would personally keep Pugh and let Richburg walk, but Pugh is going to cost a lot. Like it or not, Ereck Flowers will play somewhere on this OL. He is not a LT and I dont think he can play tackle at all on this level, but the obvious move is moving him to RT. John Jerry is terrible and his contract is easy to dump. So let him walk and as we have seen in FA the past 2 years, no team values him but us, so if we want to bring him back as a backup, we can do so at a vet minimum. Hart is also terrible and can be outright released. We will need to reach into the draft to procure at least one starter and possibly two for next year. So here is my first chance at a 2018 OL:

Configuration 1

LT - Donald Penn - FA signing. Penn is now 34, and he may not be brought back by Oakland next year. We had interest last year but wanted him to play RT. His age should mean nothing here as he is still a terrific player. 2 years $14mil with $8 guaranteed
    LG - Pugh - Pugh is going to cost us, but I think he is above average at LG and with better players around him should be fine. Resign 5 years $55mil with half guaranteed
    C - Frank Ragnow - Arkansas - Here is our 2nd round pick. Ragnow is as close to a Travis Frederick level prospect as there has been. He is also 6'5" 320 and has no problem with power. He will help the run game immensely. There will be some growing pains but we have to get this OL set for the present and future.
    RG - Quenton Nelson - Notre Dame - Here is our 1st round pick. Starting 2 rookies on our OL is risky but I am going by the premise that it can't be worse than what we have now. Nelson is a beast. His run blocking is terrific and he has improved as a pass blocker since last year. He has Pro Bowl level talent.
    RT - Ereck Flowers - Yuck, but we dont have much of a choice here.

I have a couple of other thoughts on possible configurations but want to see some feedback first.
    I like it . I would flip Pugh and Flowers and keep fluker if Flowers fails.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kase-1 View Post

EWWWWW!!!!

He gets beat around the outside and immediately gives up...... PASS, HARD PASS, ESPECIALLY in the 1st
      LOL

cbs has this to say about him>>>>>>>>>
      https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...kle-skill-set/

cbs is my least favorite analyst LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post
        So we know how utterly terrible this group is and it may well derail the high hopes we have for this season. If anyone watched the Vikings last night, you saw a team with a brand new starting 5 on the OL from last year. And Minnesota's OL from last year was as bad if not worse than ours. So how did they do it and is it a formula we can follow? Their OL last night looked terrific

Minnesota signed two new OTs in FA. Riley Reiff is a guy I thought the Giants should look into. I thought he got paid a little too much but looking at his performance last night, the Vikings may have been right there. Their LG was Nick Easton, who is a 3rd year UDFA that was drafted as a C. Pat Elflein was their 3rd round pick this year and he is the C. Their RG was Joe Berger was used to be their starting C and was moved to RG.

So based on this, what do we do? Pugh and Richburg are both FAs. I would personally keep Pugh and let Richburg walk, but Pugh is going to cost a lot. Like it or not, Ereck Flowers will play somewhere on this OL. He is not a LT and I dont think he can play tackle at all on this level, but the obvious move is moving him to RT. John Jerry is terrible and his contract is easy to dump. So let him walk and as we have seen in FA the past 2 years, no team values him but us, so if we want to bring him back as a backup, we can do so at a vet minimum. Hart is also terrible and can be outright released. We will need to reach into the draft to procure at least one starter and possibly two for next year. So here is my first chance at a 2018 OL:

Configuration 1

LT - Donald Penn - FA signing. Penn is now 34, and he may not be brought back by Oakland next year. We had interest last year but wanted him to play RT. His age should mean nothing here as he is still a terrific player. 2 years $14mil with $8 guaranteed
        LG - Pugh - Pugh is going to cost us, but I think he is above average at LG and with better players around him should be fine. Resign 5 years $55mil with half guaranteed
        C - Frank Ragnow - Arkansas - Here is our 2nd round pick. Ragnow is as close to a Travis Frederick level prospect as there has been. He is also 6'5" 320 and has no problem with power. He will help the run game immensely. There will be some growing pains but we have to get this OL set for the present and future.
        RG - Quenton Nelson - Notre Dame - Here is our 1st round pick. Starting 2 rookies on our OL is risky but I am going by the premise that it can't be worse than what we have now. Nelson is a beast. His run blocking is terrific and he has improved as a pass blocker since last year. He has Pro Bowl level talent.
        RT - Ereck Flowers - Yuck, but we dont have much of a choice here.

I have a couple of other thoughts on possible configurations but want to see some feedback first.
        i think we can upgrade from pugh in this draft. i think fluker is better than flowers. i think arguably mason cole and billy price are better choices than raginow, but it is debatable. i also think there are about 4 OTs in the draft to be considered. So it really depends if they get a FA tackle like donald penn or nate solder or not. If so then, yeah man, go for the interior guys and live with flowers next season. Honestly though, fluker had a better year than pugh. I don't see how you can keep him out of the lineup. he single handedly gave us a semblance of a running game. IMO we need run blockers are serviceable in pass pro over pass pro guys who can't move the pile or run block. Just my philosophy i suppose. but if it is close i err on the side of putting the run blockers in the starting lineup. same with the draft, draft the better run blocker if it is close. also, correct me if i am wrong, but rookies often struggle with technique in the NFl and have some pass pro growing pains, but run blocking not so much. run blocking is run blocking to a certain extent. So if we want to instantly upgrade our teams performance and points scored, using draft capital on the O line, it should be with an eye toward drafting runblockers who can also pass protect, not with an eye toward drafting pass protectors who can't move people in the run game. Just some food for thought man. I'd love to see your lineup with that in mind. who would you go with then? OTOh a guy like mcglinchey scares me as he may need chip help against speed rushers at the next level.
        who would you go with if you wanted to have a great run game? are there guys who can run block better than pugh and flowers in this draft?

LT or RT donald penn or nate solder or other
        LG DJ fluker
        RTor LT Desmond harrison, Orlando Brown, Mike McGlinchey, Connor Williams, Tyrell Crosby or other
        C raginow, cole, or price or martinas rankin or maybe dalton risner ....brett jones and draft other late as backup(quisenberry or weathersby maybe) cole and risner and maybe rankin can play both OT and center.....
        RG will hernandez, braden smith or other

swing tackle, interior depth includes brett jones and ereck flowers or if the rookies aren't ready etc. Also, try flowers at guard and see what he can do from the inside.

let pugh walk unless you get a real team friendly deal. i'd structure a deal that does not eat cap space or pay him to be injured but pays him handsomely for production. i presume we may be outbid but i don't think the team is in position to compete for him with the landon collins and obj contracts looming in the near future. decisions have to start being made i think. same goes for FA Tackles. some fancy dancing needs to happen on that front no? another reason to kill this draft and acquire 3 lineman if possible.

initial thoughts anyhow

in my mind this is a good draft to attempt to get 3 lineman in as we are drafting top of rounds and can likely have our choice in each round. But i would be more than satisfied with your picks, getting 2 fantastic prospects. getting nelson means we didnt take a QB though. maybe if we traded down a few spots and got nelson in your scenario or are you taking him at 2 overall?

Last edited by bigpoppy; 12-21-2017, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

LOL

cbs has this to say about him>>>>>>>>>
          https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...kle-skill-set/

cbs is my least favorite analyst LOL
          Gotta say im kind of suprised, cbs and nfl are my fav draft research options, theyre usually pretty close with their analysis of draft prospects
          Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

• Wyatt Teller article>>>>>>>>

http://www.richmond.com/sports/colle...27a88338e.html

there is another guy on that team getting some love>>>>>>>>>
            OT Yosuah Nijman, Virginia Tech

https://www.thephinsider.com/2017/12...l-rankings-2-0

first i've heard of the dude

Comment

• https://nflspinzone.com/2018/01/08/n...-offseason/17/
              2 ISAIAH WYNN

Offensive Guard, Georgia

Like the last pick, this pick is a necessity for the Jets. Some people don’t like taking offensive linemen early, but there’s a precedent in successful linemen going in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft, even with the Jets. Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson were both first round picks (in the same draft mind you), and Mawae was a second round pick by Seattle.

In addition, the Pro Football Hall of Fame website lists members by draft round, and 144 members are first or second round pick. Of those 144, 26 either were two-way players that played on the offensive line or pure offensive linemen. That includes 15 top-10 picks and four No. 1 overall picks.

You need to run the football in the NFL to be successful, and Wynn is a powerful and tenacious run blocker, something not often seen at the college level. He’s also an asset in pass blocking. He can play in all the position on the line, which makes him an even more valuable player in the draft. He began his college career as a guard, but shifted to left tackle this season. His size lends him to the interior, either guard or center, but he’s shown ability to handle edge rushers this season.

dudes name keeps popping up in the media...what do ya guys thin of him?

Comment

• has connor williams draft stock dropped a bit? article>>>>>

https://247sports.com/college/texas/...ings-113820280

Comment

has connor williams draft stock dropped a bit? article>>>>>

https://247sports.com/college/texas/...ings-113820280
                  Absolutely. I didn't even look at rankings when I watched his film and I found so many flaws in it. No OT in this draft is unbelievable imo. They are all very flawed. The problem with Connor Williams is his run blocking. It is quite awful. He doesn't push people backwards. The people he blocks are able to release and eventually go around him. He does this over and over throughout games.

I just checked walterfootball's current OT ranking and Connor Williams is projected as a 3rd-4th round talent right now:
                  http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OT.php

I've said it 1000 times, the only elite offensive lineman that I've seen is Quenton Nelson. His tape is really nice. He's worthy of a top 6 selection in the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by compaqnigg View Post
                    Absolutely. I didn't even look at rankings when I watched his film and I found so many flaws in it. No OT in this draft is unbelievable imo. They are all very flawed. The problem with Connor Williams is his run blocking. It is quite awful. He doesn't push people backwards. The people he blocks are able to release and eventually go around him. He does this over and over throughout games.

I just checked walterfootball's current OT ranking and Connor Williams is projected as a 3rd-4th round talent right now:
                    http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OT.php

I've said it 1000 times, the only elite offensive lineman that I've seen is Quenton Nelson. His tape is really nice. He's worthy of a top 6 selection in the draft.
                    well i dunno about all that. But yeah run blocking is not his forte. He does however lock onto a guy in pass pro with his vice grip lobster claws. He has great technique & footwork etc. and has been extremely good in pass pro, which is mostly what teams care about at LT. We'll see how wrong or right walter football is when draft time comes. I'd bet he goes round 1.

just read a mock this very day having go third overall>>>>>
                    https://www.seccountry.com/sec/nfl-m...nfl-draft-1-17

so there must be a reason he is mentioned so high

here is another came out today having him go 2 overall to the NYG>>>>>
                    https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/nfl...der-january-17

17th overall...also read this today>>>>>>
                    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...ock_draft.html
                    Last edited by bigpoppy; 01-17-2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• 36. Indianapolis Colts: Desmond Harrison, OT, West Georgia

Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller on Harrison: “After transferring to Texas from Contra Costa Community College (California) in 2013, Desmond Harrison was one of a handful of players dismissed from the team by former head coach Charlie Strong. He landed on his feet at West Georgia, and his tape there has been impressive against small-time talent. Harrison will be at the Senior Bowl and has a chance to build on the hype surrounding his athleticism at left tackle.”
                      http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...ock_draft.html

mocks have him in the second round now... the small school thing is always more risky.... but what a very intriguing propect

Comment

• RT/G toby weathersby has been moved up in mock draft simulator... is he a riser? was going as UDFA, now going in third or 4th round. What do you guys think?

Dalton Risner has been flying almost completely under the radar...i thought he would rise, but have not seen it so far....

also martinas rankin has yet to get the love i think he deserves in the media. have not heard much or anything about brian oneil either.

thoughts?

edit, mel kiper now has brian o'neil as a first round draft pick..so he has definitely risen
                        Last edited by bigpoppy; 01-18-2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/1/1...offensive-line

Comment

• FINALLY some love for my dude Tyrell Crosby!!!
                            Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

• Bradley Bozeman C/G

he shined at the senior bowl...one report said he was the best center at the Senior bowl

i think he may be a sleeper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4XOT1I1Io at guard 2 years ago...he looks really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NRA6Db_tdk playing center in 2016 looks good there also

surprised he hasn't gotten more press ...looks very solid & played for the high profile alabama team

also really like OT Jamarco jones i think...have to watch more...but he has gorilla arm drag knuckles lol and just looks like an NFL LT, could be underrated

also austin corbett like you said...saw on rep in senior bowl practice that he won and looked really good on is he projected to be another guard in this draft class? so many of them

strong interior lineman class
                              Last edited by bigpoppy; 01-28-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Bradley Bozeman C/G

he shined at the senior bowl...one report said he was the best center at the Senior bowl

i think he may be a sleeper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4XOT1I1Io at guard 2 years ago...he looks really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NRA6Db_tdk playing center in 2016 looks good there also

surprised he hasn't gotten more press ...looks very solid & played for the high profile alabama team

also really like OT Jamarco jones i think...have to watch more...but he has gorilla arm drag knuckles lol and just looks like an NFL LT, could be underrated

also austin corbett like you said...saw on rep in senior bowl practice that he won and looked really good on is he projected to be another guard in this draft class? so many of them

strong interior lineman class
                                I thought Bozeman lost his starting job at Bama ? Rather have Ragnow been a center all his college career with good stats and good size.

Comment

Working...
                                X