Finding a franchise QB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a franchise QB

The Giants are going to have a crack at the top pick this year. Eli is going to be 37 years old. A new GM/HC could be in town, and they will likely want to find their guy. Davis Webb was a guy who McAdoo was pounding the table for, and a Reese pick. If both of those guys are gone, there could be a new regime that doesn't think as highly of him. So here are the QB's that are in the running for #1 overall.

1. Josh Rosen- STRENGTHS- Is the best pure thrower in the draft class. Throws a tight ball, quick release, incredible arm strength. Led that incredible comeback vs TX A&M. Also only 20 years old. Weaknesses- is not the most mobile guy, forces a lot of throws, not good dealing with pressure, off-the-field concerns about his personality. To me, this guy has a lot of Eli in him.

2. Sam Darnold- This guy is my personal favorite despite his struggles this year. STRENGTHS- Incredible movement in the pocket and escape ability, great arm strength, can make some wow throws into coverage. Watch his game film vs Penn St last year in the Rose Bowl, and this year vs Stanford. He has a great ability to avoid the rush and throw his receivers open. WEAKNESSES- His footwork is sloppy. He throws off balance and doesn't step into alot of his throws. This leads to some poor accuracy at times. He also has a very long motion/release. It looks almost Bortles-esque in 2016 and has improved a slight bit in 2017. He has also had some INT troubles this year. I really want him to finish off this year strong because I am so much more intrigued by him then Rosen if he can improve on a few things.

3. Lamar Jackson- some people love this kid and are gonna post in here that he should be the guy. I for one am not a fan of him playing in the NFL. He is a great athlete, probably the best to ever play the position other than Vick, but he is not a great QB. Watch some of his film and look at how many throws he misses that have to be made in the NFL. He does not make many high-quality throws that assure you he can play at the next level. A lot of bubble screens, short crossing routes, quick slants, and throws to WIDE open recievers in a spread offense. To me, he is not an NFL QB.

Thanks for the analysis

Comment

37 is the new 25.
      Fan since 1970.
      ---------------------

----------------------------------------------
      "If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?"-- Joe Don Looney

Comment

Lamar Jackson might end up being the next Vince Jackson, or possibly the next Dak Prescott, which is still a developing story. Sure he's athletic, and scouts fall in love with that, but the QB position is complex and it's vital a QB knows how to read defenses, read their progressions, throw accurately, etc. I am not sure he has all those tools.

Sam Darnold is possibly overhyped, and his interceptions are worrisome, but the kid has all the pressure in the world. I liken the Darnold and Rosen to Goff and Wentz. Rosen could be the more Pro Ready and mature, with Darnold having higher competition and production. It's going to be a tough call, and both could end up being good, or one could end up being a bust and a disaster for the team who drafted him.

I think we have to get more into the intangibles. Does the kid work his butt off? Does he live and breath football? The physical talent, arm strength, etc are there, but you have to figure out which QB has those things you cannot teach-accuracy, etc.

Rosen could very well end up being the better QB. Same thing can be said for Mason Rudolph, who has shown a lot of poise and maturity. It is going to be a very, very important draft for us especially if we pick in the Top 5.

Comment

Giants never tank when we want them to. They will end up 6-10 or something and out of position for one of those young QB lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sicko View Post
            They will end up 6-10 or something
            I realize it's not impossible, but I really don't see it. Not without Beckham. I've seen this offense play without him and it's not a pretty sight. They'll have trouble scoring 13 points in many games now going forward, and the D for whatever reason is awful this year. I also think McAdoo has totally lost the locker room.

Also look at the schedule. Absolutely brutal.

I see the Giants ending up 3-13 this year at best.

Comment

What about the next tier of talent like

Josh Allen, Wyoming
              Mason Rudolph, OK State
              Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
              Luke Falk, Washington St
              Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Originally posted by Kase-1 View Post

Josh Allen, Wyoming
                Mason Rudolph, OK State
                Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
                Luke Falk, Washington St
                josh allen looks fantastic but he has only a 56% completion ratio..... if that number were higher, they'd be talking about him going much higher i think. Baker mayfield is a good choice for our WCO as he is mobile enough. But the dude got arrested for drunken in public or something....also mayfield is on 5 feet 10 inches... he is too short for the NFL... he will really get the receivers killed....

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...s-heisman-2015

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...ayfield-1.html

not sure about the other guys.
                https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...h-allen-7.html
                Last edited by bigpoppy; 10-09-2017, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I'll give my scouting opinion once I finish watching Mason Rudolph.

Comment

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ey-hype-train/

Comment

Originally posted by Kase-1 View Post

Josh Allen, Wyoming
                      Mason Rudolph, OK State
                      Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
                      Luke Falk, Washington St
                      I actually think Falk is a really good fit for the Giants current scheme. He has great pocket poise, reads the field well, and throws with good touch and anticipation. Decent mobility as well. The only knock on him is he doesn't have a great arm. I see some Alex Smith in his game.

Comment

Darnold or Saquon Barkley
                        Saw Josh Rosen play against Memphis and wasn't Impressed at all and Lamar Jackson is another Teddy Bridgewater nothing more

Comment

Josh Rosen is personally my favorite. You mentioned his personally is a concern, but I think it could develop into a strength. He's smarts and seems like a little bit of a sociopath. I'm all for that

Comment

Originally posted by flimflam View Post
                            Lamar Jackson might end up being the next Vince Jackson, or possibly the next Dak Prescott, which is still a developing story. Sure he's athletic, and scouts fall in love with that, but the QB position is complex and it's vital a QB knows how to read defenses, read their progressions, throw accurately, etc. I am not sure he has all those tools.

Sam Darnold is possibly overhyped, and his interceptions are worrisome, but the kid has all the pressure in the world. I liken the Darnold and Rosen to Goff and Wentz. Rosen could be the more Pro Ready and mature, with Darnold having higher competition and production. It's going to be a tough call, and both could end up being good, or one could end up being a bust and a disaster for the team who drafted him.

I think we have to get more into the intangibles. Does the kid work his butt off? Does he live and breath football? The physical talent, arm strength, etc are there, but you have to figure out which QB has those things you cannot teach-accuracy, etc.

Rosen could very well end up being the better QB. Same thing can be said for Mason Rudolph, who has shown a lot of poise and maturity. It is going to be a very, very important draft for us especially if we pick in the Top 5.
                            Elite NFL QB's have different strengths and weaknesses, but they all have one thing in common: a tireless work-ethic and a love of football; first one in the stadium, last one to leave, etc.

So I agree that intangibles are a huge factor.

Comment

I doubt both mac and reese are gone at the end of the year. Thats too much change for the giants. That being said you dont have to draft a qb first in order to get a good one. I would love to see barley in the first. That or 2 first round OTs
                              Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN

I wrote after the combine that Engram was entering the first-round discussion, and I've moved him above David Njoku as my second-ranked tight end. He put up the best 40 time (4.42) among tight ends and the fourth-best vertical (36 inches) at the combine. At 6-3, 234, Engram had 65 catches for 925 yards and eight touchdowns in 2016.

Comment

Working...
                              X