Baker Mayfield

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post

Doesn't hurt me one bit that's why I laughed at your thirst for an athlete.
    You Eli nuts are something. Inferiority complex if I ever saw one.

Comment

• Originally posted by NetSymptom View Post
      I'm going to be nauseous if they pick mayfield
      What if he turns out to be another Drew Brees or something to that effect? What if he winds up becoming a multiple SB winning QB and has a clean off the field record from day 1 on?

I know a lot of people hate Baker, but is it because you dont like the guy or dont think he will be good? And would you root for him if we picked him?

Comment

• I have read multiple times that accuracy is the most important indicator of success when coming out of college. Baker, despite his potential flaws(undersized, possibly character issue, etc) has absolutely insane accuracy. It may be the best accuracy by any college QB ever. You can watch entire game films of his where a WR doesnt have to reach back, over extend, or slow down to catch a pass.

That is a pretty strong starting point.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
          I have read multiple times that accuracy is the most important indicator of success when coming out of college. Baker, despite his potential flaws(undersized, possibly character issue, etc) has absolutely insane accuracy. It may be the best accuracy by any college QB ever. You can watch entire game films of his where a WR doesnt have to reach back, over extend, or slow down to catch a pass.

darnold's adjusted accuracy is almost as good as bakers>>>>

'PFF applied its new metric to last year’s quarterback draft class and this year’s top six—Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Lamar Jackson, Mayfield, Josh Rosen and Mason Rudolph. They used four major categories to chart the specific point on the receiver’s body where the ball was placed—Accurate (perfect), Frame (on-target, step below perfect), Catchable Inaccurate (catchable, but less than ideal ball location), Inaccurate (uncatchable). “We’re trying to be very specific,” says PFF senior analyst Steve Pal***olo. “Did you put it on his front number in stride? Did you hit him on his frame? We give the QB the benefit of the doubt if it’s a little bit inaccurate but thrown away from the defender.”

They also tracked the yards after the catch gained by the receiver on each type of throw in order to demonstrate the value of the accuracy grade. An accurate (perfect) pass, for instance, carries an expected 2.8 yards after the catch (this is an average across all types of routes). A catchable inaccurate pass averages 1.0 YAC. The results:

Mayfield: 64.9%

Darnold: 62.1%

Rosen: 54.1%

Allen: 51.0%

Rudolph: 50.6%

Jackson: 49.0%

“We found there’s a pretty big difference between Mayfield, Darnold and the rest,” Pal***olo says.'

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/4/1...ts-news-rumors

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
            I have read multiple times that accuracy is the most important indicator of success when coming out of college. Baker, despite his potential flaws(undersized, possibly character issue, etc) has absolutely insane accuracy. It may be the best accuracy by any college QB ever. You can watch entire game films of his where a WR doesnt have to reach back, over extend, or slow down to catch a pass.

That is another reason for the comp to Brees. These "smaller" QBs need this quality to be top notch in order to succeed. Russell Wilson is the same. Everyone can talk about his "Great OL help" all they want, but bottom line, when blitzed and pressured he also excels on the field and was top in his class. His accuracy was tremendous.

I think there is a very good chance he succeeds in the NFL on the right team. If a team like the Patriots got a hold of this kid, I would put my money on him being a HOFer when all said and done. He has all the tools minus the height.

And I know some people love Allen, but to me, Allen is the opposite of Baker and I think not likely to become a good NFL QB. His throws are all over the place. Sure, they get there fast and far and quick, but they arent on target. They wont hit the WRs in stride.
            Last edited by TheAnalyst; 04-16-2018, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

'PFF applied its new metric to last year’s quarterback draft class and this year’s top six—Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Lamar Jackson, Mayfield, Josh Rosen and Mason Rudolph. They used four major categories to chart the specific point on the receiver’s body where the ball was placed—Accurate (perfect), Frame (on-target, step below perfect), Catchable Inaccurate (catchable, but less than ideal ball location), Inaccurate (uncatchable). “We’re trying to be very specific,” says PFF senior analyst Steve Pal***olo. “Did you put it on his front number in stride? Did you hit him on his frame? We give the QB the benefit of the doubt if it’s a little bit inaccurate but thrown away from the defender.”

They also tracked the yards after the catch gained by the receiver on each type of throw in order to demonstrate the value of the accuracy grade. An accurate (perfect) pass, for instance, carries an expected 2.8 yards after the catch (this is an average across all types of routes). A catchable inaccurate pass averages 1.0 YAC. The results:

“We found there’s a pretty big difference between Mayfield, Darnold and the rest,” Pal***olo says.'

Thasts fine, accuracy isnt my issue with Darnold. Its his ability to read defenses. It causes too many interceptions by not recognizing a zone defense. Thats what I got watching him anyway. Some teams tricked him during the year and he never adjusted. That, and his perpetual fumble problem. Too many turnovers. Led the entire league.

Comment

I would need to see more about how they calculate this, that is something I get annoyed with PFF over. I do not disagree that Darnold is accurate, but Mayfield is in a class by himself. The guy set the Collegiate record for efficiency, dating back to 1956. Then he broke it again the following year.

That doesnt mean he is a better overall prospect, as I said, it is just a good starting point.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

Thasts fine, accuracy isnt my issue with Darnold. Its his ability to read defenses. It causes too many interceptions by not recognizing a zone defense. Thats what I got watching him anyway. Some teams tricked him during the year and he never adjusted. That, and his perpetual fumble problem. Too many turnovers. Led the entire league.
                  yeah. he was on a worse team in 2017 than in 2016. he is only 20. Darnold is the leading prospect in my mind. I like his ability to extend plays on top of his accuracy and his demeanor.

it'll be fun to see how it all pans out over time. who knows, maybe some sleeper rises from the ashes. I'm rooting for Lamar Jackson to prove all the naysayers wrong. Will be a bunch of fun tow watch this QB draft class over the next few years.

Comment

I could not agree more about Darnold's fumble problem, and I think it is all due to his odd throwing motion. When you drop that ball that low in your windup, players are going to knock it loose. He has a fast arm, which enables a quick release, so that helps make up for it, but it is going to be a problem and is the primary reason why I think he will be valued more by warm weather/indoor teams. That throwing motion does not lend itself to windy, cold or wet conditions. This is why I have made the Bryon Leftwich comparison before. They have very similar throwing motions, darnold's is just faster.
                    sigpic

Comment

Some additional tidbits from PFF:

We can analyze this year’s quarterback class on this subset of “NFL Throws.” Using PFF grade the consensus top-six passers stack up as follows:

1. Baker Mayfield

2. Josh Rosen

3. Mason Rudolph

4. Sam Darnold

5. Lamar Jackson

6. Josh Allen

Mayfield was the most accurate on these throws. Darnold was the second most accurate, while his grade was hurt by having the most turnover-worthy throws on NFL Throws this past season.

While the sample is still small we can look at NFL stability to give a sense of what metrics we expect to remain stable from college to pro. Using the 30 NFL passers with at least 50 charted passes in each of the last two seasons we noticed that accuracy rate throwing into tight coverage was very unstable from 2016 to 2017 (0.09). However, throwing to a receiver with a step or more of separation was very stable (0.56). Isolating only the throws with a step of separation or more we can rank the top-six quarterbacks once again:

1. Sam Darnold

2. Baker Mayfield

3. Mason Rudolph

4. Josh Rosen

5. Josh Allen

6. Lamar Jackson

I can't find the article where it says it (and it may have been in the podcast), but the accuracy rate of throwing into a tight window, which they indicate shows a great deal of variation from year to year, was an area that Mayfield didn't show variation in and rated higher than the others.

The article: https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...the-next-level

Comment

What if he turns out to be another Drew Brees or something to that effect? What if he winds up becoming a multiple SB winning QB and has a clean off the field record from day 1 on?

I know a lot of people hate Baker, but is it because you dont like the guy or dont think he will be good? And would you root for him if we picked him?
                        I went to Texas and would hate to see such a prominent OU player be the face of our franchise. I also don’t trust Big12 quarterbacks to succeed in the league, I think a lot of his stats are overblown.im not a talent evaluator and don’t pretend to be, but when the most successful QB from your conference is Andy Dalton you know there’s an issue lol

that said, if he were to be drafted here and win help us I’ll find a way to root for him

Comment

• Originally posted by NetSymptom View Post

I went to Texas and would hate to see such a prominent OU player be the face of our franchise. I also don’t trust Big12 quarterbacks to succeed in the league, I think a lot of his stats are overblown.im not a talent evaluator and don’t pretend to be, but when the most successful QB from your conference is Andy Dalton you know there’s an issue lol

that said, if he were to be drafted here and win help us I’ll find a way to root for him
                          Gotcha. Little bit of bias then. It happens. I agree with your conference points. It's an offensive conference there for sure.

Comment

Gotcha. Little bit of bias then. It happens. I agree with your conference points. It's an offensive conference there for sure.
                            Lot of bias, no need to sugarcoat it lol

Comment

• https://nypost.com/2018/04/17/one-dr...ke-cow-on-ice/

"He likes Mayfield best of all the quarterback prospects, followed by Rosen, Darnold, Mason Rudolph, Allen and Lamar Jackson, assigning first-round grades to all of them. It is not as if Shonka believes all these players will be busts, but, other than Mayfield and possibly Rosen, he does not see what all the fuss is about and certainly does not salivate over this class."

Comment

Working...
                              X