Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great article comparing Gettleman's Panther drafts vs Reese's Gaints!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great article comparing Gettleman's Panther drafts vs Reese's Gaints!

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Reading it now. This is going to be a good one!!!

Im calling it right now.

Reese is better at picking DTs and Gettleman is better at picking OLmen.

I just hope Gettleman is better at making a top 10 pick than Reese was.

I still dont think I like hiring Gettleman to replace Reese though long term.

http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Comment

Looks like it's tied at 2.
      It is when one is working within limits, that the master begins to reveal himself.

Comment

This article was totally skewed by the fact that Gettleman has a smaller sample size and the fact that Reese has consistently drafted guys not designed to fit our schemes and\or are injury prone.

The list of players that didn't catch over the years is astonishing.

Again from another post... if you heard Reese say "He's a height weight speed guy" you know that means he would be off the team in 2 seasons.... sometimes 3 if it was injury intervention.

Comment

Like Reese's 2013 draft... LOL

In another seasons the 2014 draft will be identical... 5 Players out of NFL and one we let become a free agent... about to be a 2nd one. We don't sign guys we hit on even every so often. We let them test the market and then demand way more money. Comedy.

I can see 2-3 more guys on the 14 list that will be listed as out of the NFL.

If I am right that would be 10 guys drafted out of 14 that are out of the NFL. Even if I am wrong its still 7 or 8 considering one guy is hanging on by a technicality. This is ludicrous. More than half the guys he drafted will be out of the NFL. Not to mention it looks like only 3 of those players will be on the team after this season.

This article really minimizes the truth in these drafts and does a good job at spinning it in a kind light for Reese. In another season or two these evaluations will be a lot more telling.

Comment

This is just a comparison on the draft . You need free agency pickups and contract negotiations to see the full picture. Although I believe even with that the comparison is murky.
            Last edited by blu_buddha; 12-13-2017, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
              Im calling it right now.

Yeah, not sure that this took into account how high the draft picks were (i.e., if Reese picking in the top 10 and Gettleman picking in the bottom 10).

Reese appears to have whiffed on 2 top 10 picks during this time period (his only top 10 picks ever). That is a franchise killer.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Yeah, not sure that this took into account how high the draft picks were (i.e., if Reese picking in the top 10 and Gettleman picking in the bottom 10).

Reese appears to have whiffed on 2 top 10 picks during this time period (his only top 10 picks ever). That is a franchise killer.
                He had the opportunity to go Gurley and Tunsil instead of Flowers and Apple too. Our offense would be so much better if he had.

Comment

I write it over and over again. Peoples expectations here are way too high. All GM's miss all the time. The difference between the top and the bottom GM's are a few picks. There's only a few people in the world that are great or potentially great GMs. It also helps when you have a great coach and they are in sync. There's just so many factors.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantterp View Post
                    I write it over and over again. Peoples expectations here are way too high. All GM's miss all the time. The difference between the top and the bottom GM's are a few picks. There's only a few people in the world that are great or potentially great GMs. It also helps when you have a great coach and they are in sync. There's just so many factors.
                    Yup.

And football is just not a science. There is a lot of luck and chance involved. Just look at the games. A fingertip grab here, a drop there, 4th and an inch instead of a first down, etc. etc. etc.

The Giants's last two Super Bowl runs were rife with many many lucky events.

Comment

Im calling it right now.

the only problem i have with this metric is in the end Flowers is a starter and hart only because Reese refused to accept that they were not starter material,and in the end the most important part is that DG has 27 of 28 guys still in the NFL,I would prefer for them to higher outside the organization but DG wouldn't bother me either.

Comment

Im calling it right now.

lol

The same Gettleman that gave Matt Khalil a $55 million contract?

Dave Gettleman is no better than Reese. He's actually worse. The same problems with Reese's drafts is what you'll find with Gettlemans. Zero elite offensive linemen, zero late round gems. Neither are contingent on where you draft, because if you are good at evaluating talent, it doesn't matter where you draft.

This is exactly why the Giants need fresh blood, Any objective person would see this.
                        Last edited by drewz; 12-13-2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drewz View Post

lol

The same Gettleman that gave Matt Khalil a $55 million contract?

Dave Gettleman is no better than Reese. He's actually worse. The same problems with Reese's drafts is what you'll find with Gettlemans. Zero elite offensive linemen, zero late round gems. Neither are contingent on where you draft, because if you are good at evaluating talent, it doesn't matter where you draft.

This is exactly why the Giants need fresh blood, Any objective person would see this.
                          Hence me saying, I still dont like hiring Gettleman.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

You got it, beat me to it TC.

Comment

I'd can't tell you how disappointed I'd be if Mara hires someone he knows and has worked for the Giants recently. They've become stale...they need a complete overhaul.

Comment

Working...
                              X