Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saquon.... Say Hello!

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

The more I think about it the more I feel like this could work.

Draft Saquon Barkley second. Address O line and QB in the subsequent 3 rounds. Keep Eli for one more year. Sign a free agent linemen. So for the line, figure two picks on the first four rounds, and one quality free agent.

Hopefully the D can revert to something close to 2016 with an offseason to get healthy and a new look coaching staff.

So in 2018 we would have:

Eli (still clearly capable of playing well)
    Webb plus another QB competing for the backup and heir apparent role. If we're not happy with them, we can always draft someone in '19.
    A revamped O line (think SD Chargers from 2016 to 2017).
    Beckham, Engram, and Shepard to throw to.
    The best rookie RB since Adrian Peterson.
    A D that plays near what they did in 2016. It's largely the same people.
    A much better head coach.

I don't know about you, but I don't think that's all that bad.

Your thoughts?

Itís not bad at all especially if he can be better than Gurley.

Theres going to be a lot of weapons on offense for the QB so the the GM can just focus on revamping the o line. The HC and OC will have plenty of toys to play with.

Comment

Take a look at Dakís numbers without Elliot and see how much Elliot helps him.

A good running game will help the entire offense.

Comment

Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post
        Itís not bad at all especially if he can be better than Gurley.

Theres going to be a lot of weapons on offense for the QB so the the GM can just focus on revamping the o line. The HC and OC will have plenty of toys to play with.
        Right.

The big question though is do we use this opportunity of picking in the top five in a QB-rich draft to get our next QB, or do we put that decision off until next year or the year after, when the choices will likely be more limited?

Barkley is a superb talent, but he is a RB. This is a position with about half the shelf-life of a QB. That has to factor in to the decision. You really can't put any price on having a young franchise QB. Look at the Eagles- when Wentz was healthy this is the best Eagle team we have seen in ages, possibly ever.

I think if the front office loves a QB who is on the board after Cleveland picks, we should just take him. If you get the right guy in at QB things take care of themselves.

Otherwise, if we feel unsure about the QBs, we should take Barkley. He is basically a sure thing to be great if healthy.

Comment

Ok here is something to chew on. All the Eli haters don't think he's an elite qb and that he got lucky twice. So do we need a elite qb to win if we have a stud team all over?

Shouldn't be too hard to find a qb to replicate what Eli did considering he's not an elite qb. Right?

lets fix the run game and punish teams for playing cover 2 and if they switch to single high safety, you saw what happened on sunday and next year we will have odell back. Our offense will have a huge turn around, like the one the falcons had from 2015 to 2016.
          Last edited by DarkSaint; 12-20-2017, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
            Ok here is something to chew on. All the Eli haters don't think he's an elite qb and that he got lucky twice. So do we need a elite qb to win if we have a stud team all over?

Shouldn't be too hard to find a qb to replicate what Eli did considering he's not an elite qb.
            Eli was an elite postseason QB.

Those are a lot harder to find than guys who put up good stats in the regular season like Rivers and (to a lesser extent) Dalton.

Comment

Shouldn't be too hard to find a qb to replicate what Eli did considering he's not an elite qb.
              If we take a QB it will be Darnold. I prefer Rosen's arm, but Rosen is not liked by his teammates and won't appeal to Giants brass. Darnold is the guy who seems to dial it up in big games and has a humble attitude. Very similar to Eli in a lot of ways.

Any of these QBs could be busts though. That's the risk you run. Barkley is a lock to be a stud. We'd be getting a Leveon Bell, Ladainian Tomlinson caliber guy with him.

Comment

I've been hoping for this for two months. I really don't think it will happen, but I really hope it does. Either take Barkley with the second pick or trade the 2nd pick for a kings ransom and draft Quentin Nelson.

Barkley, Eli/Webb, ODB, Engram, Shep, Ellison would be a sick offense.
                LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Lets see how the Senior Bowl and underwear olympics go. Someone always shoots up the boards based on those performances.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                    I've been hoping for this for two months. I really don't think it will happen, but I really hope it does. Either take Barkley with the second pick or trade the 2nd pick for a kings ransom and draft Quentin Nelson.

Agree as long as we get serious about the O line.

If we pick Barkley, then a minimum of two of our next four picks need to be O line, and we need to add someone in free agency. Again I look at the Chargers. Their line is very solid this year. Last year it was so bad it was worse than ours. In the offseason, they signed a good left tackle (Russell Okung) and drafted two guys in the first three rounds, one of whom didn't even play this year due to injury, and the line was very effective.

No reason why we can't (or shouldn't) attempt to do the same thing.

The one thing I don't want to do is waste a mid round pick on a QB. I don't want another Nassib or Webb. If they choose not to draft a QB this year, that's fine, but use the rest of the picks on other players. They need O linemen, linebackers, corners, and another wide receiver before they need a mid round QB who will never be a starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                      https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

The more I think about it the more I feel like this could work.

Draft Saquon Barkley second. Address O line and QB in the subsequent 3 rounds. Keep Eli for one more year. Sign a free agent linemen. So for the line, figure two picks on the first four rounds, and one quality free agent.

Hopefully the D can revert to something close to 2016 with an offseason to get healthy and a new look coaching staff.

So in 2018 we would have:

Eli (still clearly capable of playing well)
                      Webb plus another QB competing for the backup and heir apparent role. If we're not happy with them, we can always draft someone in '19.
                      A revamped O line (think SD Chargers from 2016 to 2017).
                      Beckham, Engram, and Shepard to throw to.
                      The best rookie RB since Adrian Peterson.
                      A D that plays near what they did in 2016. It's largely the same people.
                      A much better head coach.

I don't know about you, but I don't think that's all that bad.

Your thoughts?
                      This only makes sense if they don't think Rosen is a franchise QB. If they think that Rosen is a franchise QB, it would be absolutely asinine to pass on him for a RB.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post

That will be a sick offense with a lot of speed. I hope we can resign Fluker, just adding him into the lineup jump started the run game. We can get another quality guard in the 2nd or 3rd to put Jerry on the bench. Keep jones at center and see if richberg will come back as a backup if not he can walk.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

This only makes sense if they don't think Rosen is a franchise QB. If they think that Rosen is a franchise QB, it would be absolutely asinine to pass on him for a RB.
                          And if Rosen gets taken by the Browns?

Comment

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post
                            Lets see how the Senior Bowl and underwear olympics go. Someone always shoots up the boards based on those performances.
                            Barkley is gonna destroy the combine

Comment

Take a look at Dakís numbers without Elliot and see how much Elliot helps him.

A good running game will help the entire offense.
                              I agree, a good running game helps. But Elliott has the best OL in football. We have the worst.

Comment

Working...
                              X