X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Got completely shut down by Rutgers.
    Barkley has bust written all over him.
    We can't know what our future GM thinks about this QB class. We are making assumptions about what we hear are the top prospects.
    It could be that Mayfield ends up as the top prospect. Who knows.

I do know that this pick needs to be used to get our next QB. (well I kind of know). It's too good of an opportunity. I doubt we'll be picking this high again for a while. (or at least I hope that's true)
    It's not Eli's fault....It's the chemtrails!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post

So you don't draft a great player because the line isn't good today? The bad line isn't just a problem for RBs. It will be a problem for any QB we draft. O line can and will be rebuilt. We can certainly start in this offseason. Barkely would just be hitting his prime in 2-3 years, and by then our line could be very good. Who knows? San Diego went from a having a bottom 3 O line last year to at least an average (and probably better than avg) one this year by treating it as a priority in the offseason.
      Never said that. I just dont value Saquon the 2nd best college football player. I will always value QBs and OL more than RB. Always. RBs and TEs are the 2 offensive positions you dont need a star IMO, as evident in our 2 SB wins (Boss, Jacobs 2007 and Ballard, Pascoe, and Bradshaw 2011). What we did have was great pass rushers, a solid OL, very good WRs, and a QB who was on his game.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

We can't know what our future GM thinks about this QB class. We are making assumptions about what we hear are the top prospects.
        It could be that Mayfield ends up as the top prospect. Who knows.

I do know that this pick needs to be used to get our next QB. (well I kind of know). It's too good of an opportunity. I doubt we'll be picking this high again for a while. (or at least I hope that's true)
        I completely agree ... unless the front office just doesn't like any of the QB prospects available at 2.

I admittedly know only what I read and see when it comes to evaluating prospects, and I am no scout by any stretch of the imagination, but I am a fan of Darnold and think that he would be a good fit here.

Comment

I completely agree ... unless the front office just doesn't like any of the QB prospects available at 2.

I admittedly know only what I read and see when it comes to evaluating prospects, and I am no scout by any stretch of the imagination, but I am a fan of Darnold and think that he would be a good fit here.
          I'm like you. I know what I read. I've watched Mayfield more than the other guys but I haven't watched any of them that much.

Personally, what I like about Mayfield is that he has some attitude. I know that sounds strange but the two best QB's in the NFL, Brady and Rodgers, both play with a chip on their shoulders. I think it gives them an edge.
          But that's just me. I guess it's one of the reasons I liked Phil so much.

Comment

I'm like you. I know what I read. I've watched Mayfield more than the other guys but I haven't watched any of them that much.

Personally, what I like about Mayfield is that he has some attitude. I know that sounds strange but the two best QB's in the NFL, Brady and Rodgers, both play with a chip on their shoulders. I think it gives them an edge.
            But that's just me. I guess it's one of the reasons I liked Phil so much.
            I really like watching Mayfield play, but have no idea whether or not he will be a good NFL QB ....

Comment

I really like watching Mayfield play, but have no idea whether or not he will be a good NFL QB ....
              Sometimes I think no one has any idea if anyone would be a good NFL QB.

It's all a crap shoot. I think the toughest position to project from college to the pros is QB.

Comment

You take Saquon Barkley and have the Giants version of Ezekiel Elliot with more speed

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

Never said that. I just dont value Saquon the 2nd best college football player. I will always value QBs and OL more than RB. Always. RBs and TEs are the 2 offensive positions you dont need a star IMO, as evident in our 2 SB wins (Boss, Jacobs 2007 and Ballard, Pascoe, and Bradshaw 2011). What we did have was great pass rushers, a solid OL, very good WRs, and a QB who was on his game.
                  I am on the same page about the value of the position.

My main point though is that if Darnold goes back to USC and Rosen gets picked first, then I feel like we're in a situation where the move is to either draft Barkley or trade down. I think drafting someone like Mayfield, Rudolph, Allen, Jackson, or any of the others 2nd overall is likely a mistake. Better to trade down for a kings ransom, still try to get one of those guys later in the first.

And yes, I understand that there is a risk they all get taken even if we only trade down 6-9 spots. In that case I'd be fine drafting Quentin Nelson and at least one other good lineman in the next couple picks.

Comment

I know nothing about who we should draft at #2 or 3. What I hope is the incoming GM is brave enough and smart enough to NOT take a QB if he doesn't like what is there.

Many here want a QB no matter what. I think that kind of thinking is a mistake.

Comment

Sometimes I think no one has any idea if anyone would be a good NFL QB.

It's all a crap shoot. I think the toughest position to project from college to the pros is QB.
                      I like what I've seen from Mayfield as well. He has serious passion. Wasn't that impressed with the 2 games of Darnold's that I saw. Josh Rosen looked quite good to me, albeit I've only seen the game against USC. I haven't even seen clips of the kid from Wyoming, so really can't comment on him.

Comment

Please elaborate.. seeing as how he is a can't miss RB I would love to know

Comment

Originally posted by B-Red22 View Post

He's had some bad games this year against some bad teams. I think he's a good prospect but I don't think he's close to being worth the 2nd pick in the draft.
                          I think ANY RB in that spot would be a terrible pick.
                          The situation at QB combined with this pick, in a good QB draft tells me we need to draft our next franchise QB. This opportunity doesn't come up very often.

The last time it did, we got the QB.

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post
                            I know nothing about who we should draft at #2 or 3. What I hope is the incoming GM is brave enough and smart enough to NOT take a QB if he doesn't like what is there.

Many here want a QB no matter what. I think that kind of thinking is a mistake.
                            You can't draft position "No matter what". I feel like Reese did that a few times. Once with Pugh. Once with David Wilson. Probably more times too.

If the new GM sees one of these QBs as a franchise QB he should take him at 2. If not, take best available.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Red22 View Post

How is he a can't miss?

Comment

He's had some bad games this year against some bad teams. I think he's a good prospect but I don't think he's close to being worth the 2nd pick in the draft.
                                I think ANY RB in that spot would be a terrible pick.
                                The situation at QB combined with this pick, in a good QB draft tells me we need to draft our next franchise QB. This opportunity doesn't come up very often.

The last time it did, we got the QB.
                                Nail on head.

Comment

Working...
                                X