Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do If you were Gettlmen with the #2 pick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TEM View Post

I believe I covered that scenario with the last choice.
    I didn't read option three as covering that. I read option 3 as we like a QB and he is taken by Cleveland. I don't think there is a great QB coming out of this class so I picked trade down.

I keep Eli, we don't have much choice anyway, and try to get him to restructure to free up some money. I keep our D as intact as possible. Try to restructure DRCs deal. Bring back Fluker, Jones and either Vereen or Darkwa. See what options are out there for OL in free agency. Probably let Pugh walk since he will likely want too much. See if I can score Gabe Jackson OG from Oakland. Won't have tons of money for free agents though.

Move on to the draft. See if I can trade back with Denver at #5. Hopefully get their 1st, 2nd and 4th rounder this year and 2nd rounded next year. If Barkley falls to #5 take him, then hopefully Billy Price and Will Hernandez in round 2. Use the rest of the draft to fill in as many holes as I can. If Barkley is gone take Nelson at 5 and then Billy Price and Nick Chubb in round if they are there. If both Barkley and Nelson are gone I jump on Bradley Chubb DE in a heartbeat, and grab some combo of Price, Hernandez Nick Chubb in round 2. Heck with this many QBs being talked about there is a really good chance at least one falls to round two. What if we were able to trade down grab Barkley in 1, Billy Price 2 and Lamar Jackson fell to the 2nd round also. Jackson has flaws but Jackson, Barkley, ODB, Engram and Shep sounds like a crazy offense to me.

I am a fan of trading down because as you can see it opens up so many possibilities. If we go QB and miss on the pick this draft is a failure. Every QB has major question marks. This is a "strong" class in overall numbers because 5-6 of these kids might be good, all might fail though. I don't like putting a top five pick on a guy with major flaws. IMO Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Roquan Smith and Minkah Fitzpatrick are the top 5 guys and the biggest "locks" in the draft. If I'm the GM I am trading back to #5 and taking the best one of those guys remaining and feeling dam good about it, plus having two top 5 picks for day two in my pocket.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post

I didn't read option three as covering that. I read option 3 as we like a QB and he is taken by Cleveland. I don't think there is a great QB coming out of this class so I picked trade down.

I keep Eli, we don't have much choice anyway, and try to get him to restructure to free up some money. I keep our D as intact as possible. Try to restructure DRCs deal. Bring back Fluker, Jones and either Vereen or Darkwa. See what options are out there for OL in free agency. Probably let Pugh walk since he will likely want too much. See if I can score Gabe Jackson OG from Oakland. Won't have tons of money for free agents though.

Move on to the draft. See if I can trade back with Denver at #5. Hopefully get their 1st, 2nd and 4th rounder this year and 2nd rounded next year. If Barkley falls to #5 take him, then hopefully Billy Price and Will Hernandez in round 2. Use the rest of the draft to fill in as many holes as I can. If Barkley is gone take Nelson at 5 and then Billy Price and Nick Chubb in round if they are there. If both Barkley and Nelson are gone I jump on Bradley Chubb DE in a heartbeat, and grab some combo of Price, Hernandez Nick Chubb in round 2. Heck with this many QBs being talked about there is a really good chance at least one falls to round two. What if we were able to trade down grab Barkley in 1, Billy Price 2 and Lamar Jackson fell to the 2nd round also. Jackson has flaws but Jackson, Barkley, ODB, Engram and Shep sounds like a crazy offense to me.

I am a fan of trading down because as you can see it opens up so many possibilities. If we go QB and miss on the pick this draft is a failure. Every QB has major question marks. This is a "strong" class in overall numbers because 5-6 of these kids might be good, all might fail though. I don't like putting a top five pick on a guy with major flaws. IMO Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Roquan Smith and Minkah Fitzpatrick are the top 5 guys and the biggest "locks" in the draft. If I'm the GM I am trading back to #5 and taking the best one of those guys remaining and feeling dam good about it, plus having two top 5 picks for day two in my pocket.
      All good points.
      Never go to battle with the intellectually unarmed.

Comment

Vereen needs to be gone. I am almost positive that he didnít pick up 1 first down this year. In my opinion he is the most overrated player we have currently on the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by jintslifer1 View Post
          Vereen needs to be gone. I am almost positive that he didnít pick up 1 first down this year. In my opinion he is the most overrated player we have currently on the roster.
          I agree but we need to replace him with a back with good hands and is a screen threat.
          Last edited by TEM; 01-04-2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

I see 3 options

1) Draft USC QB Sam Darnold if he declares for the draft. He has the higheds ceiling of all the QBs, period. Great talent, good intangibles.

2) Draft Baker Mayfield. Great intangibles, transcendent leadership & competitor, good skills but mediocre physical traits but decent athleticism. If heís your guy at QB, I dont care if heís considered a reach. If heís the next Drew Brees, want to be the GM who passed on him? Heís been overlooked his whole life-he shouldnt be now.

3). Trade down, get 3 extra first rounders and a second rounder at least. Thatís gotta be the price for #2. If we could net something like this and still grab Mayfield, and a top Olineman & linebacker then by all means do it!

However, this yearís offseason is going to be strange. While a lot of teams need and are looking for QBs rhe draft isnít the only avenue and there are only a few top QB in the draft: Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen but I donít like his intangibles and injury prone nature and maybe Allen, but he needs to sit behind a top QB a couple
            of years. There are a lot of top free agent QBs-Brees, Keenum, Bridgewater, Garappolo, etc

Eli is 36. We have Webb but at #2 I donít think we can pass on a QB with our division rivals being set with Wentz, Prescott and ostensibly Cousins. Eli gets a lotnof flak but has been consistent, an iron man, and taken for granted for 14 years.

QB is the most important position. Look at Green Bay without Rodgers. Look at how the 49ers turned it around with a franchise QB playing for them. Look at all the teams with annual QB carousels. If you miss on a QB, it can be years of mediocrity and lots of fired coaches and GMs. Does the coach make the QB or the QB make the coach? Bellicheck wouldnít be in the stratosphere heís in without Brady.

it is going to be an exciting and crazy offseason. Canít wait to see who are next Head Coach is, and for the draft. Excited Gettleman is our GM. He is clearly he man for the job and things are looking bright here. Someone is finally holding entitled clowns like Hart, Flowers and Apple to task and to be accountable.

Comment

I want Barkley but if I was a GM I would definitely look to trade down and hoard as many picks I can. Even try to grab a first rounder in 2019. Too many holes to fill with little cap space.

Comment

Originally posted by flimflam View Post
                3). Trade down, get 3 extra first rounders and a second rounder at least. Thatís gotta be the price for #2. If we could net something like this and still grab Mayfield, and a top Olineman & linebacker then by all means do it!
                Might temper those expectations a bit. How far down would you be trading to get 3 extra first round picks? If we could trade to #5 and get a 1st, 2nd, 3rd this year and a 1 or 2nd next year we would be very lucky. Mayfield, Rudolph, Allen and Jackson are all odd picks. It is going to be impossible to predict where they will get drafted. Darnold and Rosen will go early, but each of the other four could go top 5-10 or in round 2.
                "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Might temper those expectations a bit. How far down would you be trading to get 3 extra first round picks? If we could trade to #5 and get a 1st, 2nd, 3rd this year and a 1 or 2nd next year we would be very lucky. Mayfield, Rudolph, Allen and Jackson are all odd picks. It is going to be impossible to predict where they will get drafted. Darnold and Rosen will go early, but each of the other four could go top 5-10 or in round 2.
                  I agree all these QB are "should i pick them"? That in itself is an eyebrow raiser. I would not be surprised if Rosen and Darnold fall lower as well.
                  Last edited by TEM; 01-04-2018, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LTMVP View Post
                    if we don't build an o line. we could be getting top 5 picks for years to come. but i agree. esp with the qb talent coming out this year. you gotta get the qb with the second pick. you just have to.

eli still here or not. doesn't matter. take a qb. then work on the rest. 2 years behind eli will be good for him. and that will give the giants time to build a decent offensive line, for Christ's sake. and get some linebackers with nfl talent while you're at it.
                    Do you think they have to run that idea about drafting a quarterback by Eli first? Lol..... I think we take a QB either Darnold or Rosen. Eli needs to take a pay cut to help the team if not you cut him. His teachings havenít been useful see Nassib and Webb who never got into a game.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

I agree all these QB are "should i pick them"? That in itself is an eyebrow raiser. I would not be surprised if Rosen and Darnold fall lower as well.
                      I could see one of them falling a little, but not far. Lets say the Browns take Rosen and we pass on a QB. Denver likley takes one, but maybe they like Rudolph or Mayfield. The Jets are next and I think they jump on either Rosen or Darnold if there. If not though they could fall to the teens. This draft should be pretty exciting to watch. I'm hoping I like our pick and then can spend the rest of round 1 hoping certain guys fall. Having the 2nd pick in round two could be huge for us. Remember we got Landon Collins with the 1st pick in round 2.
                      "Next man up"

Comment

Originally posted by dmighty326 View Post
                        Eli to Denver, 3rd rd pick
                        beckham to Cleveland for the 5th overall pick and a 2nd rd pick
                        giants draft Mayfield, Barkley with the two ones and the best two offensive lineman in the second and go from there. I'm even happy with barkely and an offensive linemen but webb must be the guy.

mayfield, Barkley, engram and sterling is a great nucleus.

pick up Lber or db in the third round
                        I'm good with that.
                        Trading Beckham would go down as one of the dumbest and most shortsighted trades in NFL history. Yoy trade arguably the best receiver in the NFL, one of the best in NFL historically so far in his career, and one of the beat Giants draft picks ever not to mention the best Giants wide receiver draft pick ever. Giants have not been good at drafting franchise wide receivers. No 2 wideouts, yes, like Toomer, Smith, and Sheppard. That is 3 receivers in about 20 years of drafts. You build through the draft and keep your core. This isnít baseball. Continuity matters.

Now a nucleus of Mayfield, Beckham, Barkley, Engram and Sheppard sounds good. Why people want to trade Beckham is beyond me. Players like Hart, Flowers and Apple are the problem. Beckham keeps in top shape, doesnít get into trouble with the law, and gives his all on the field. The lack of love for him is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by CruzSoldier View Post

Do you think they have to run that idea about drafting a quarterback by Eli first? Lol..... I think we take a QB either Darnold or Rosen. Eli needs to take a pay cut to help the team if not you cut him. His teachings havenít been useful see Nassib and Webb who never got into a game.
                          LOL new area to attack Eli. Hilarious.. his job is to win games instead of trying to teach. It was hard enough already this year.

Comment

I wouldnít want to trade down that far; in the top ten. As I stated before, the Browns traded the #2 pick in the 2016 draft and a 2017 fifth-round pick to the Eagles in exchange for Philadelphia's first- (8 overall), third- and fourth-round picks in 2016, a 2017 first-round pick and a 2018 second-round pick. Thatís two 1stís, a 2nd, 3rd & 4th for two picks (1st & 5th) for moving 6 spots. As a comparable, it demands that we get as much if not a little more. Ideally, youíd get 2 first rounders this year but not many teams have those riches, only Cleveland and Buffalo.

This is going to be a hugely important and difficult decision. We can compete next year with Eli, but he is 37, his skills are eroding slightly, and need to transition to a new starter. Are we comfortabke with Webb? He looks the part, but we have no idea. We can still pick a QB, fill our needs in free agency and be a competitive team.

We could also sign a free agent QB, but with Eli still here, that is unlikely. The # of starting QBs of thisncaliber in free agency is unprecedented. If you pass on Darnold or Mayfield, it could end up being a huge mistake.

With Wentz and Dak running our hated division rivals for years to come, we have to have a clear plan to transition to compete. Weíve suffered through 5 bad years of the lasr 6. It is time we get back to being a perennial winner-this draft is vital.

Comment

I wouldnít want to trade down that far; in the top ten. As I stated before, the Browns traded the #2 pick in the 2016 draft and a 2017 fifth-round pick to the Eagles in exchange for Philadelphia's first- (8 overall), third- and fourth-round picks in 2016, a 2017 first-round pick and a 2018 second-round pick. Thatís two 1stís, a 2nd, 3rd & 4th for two picks (1st & 5th) for moving 6 spots. As a comparable, it demands that we get as much if not a little more. Ideally, youíd get 2 first rounders this year but not many teams have those riches, only Cleveland and Buffalo.

This is going to be a hugely important and difficult decision. We can compete next year with Eli, but he is 37, his skills are eroding slightly, and need to transition to a new starter. Are we comfortabke with Webb? He looks the part, but we have no idea. We can still pick a QB, fill our needs in free agency and be a competitive team.

We could also sign a free agent QB, but with Eli still here, that is unlikely. The # of starting QBs of thisncaliber in free agency is unprecedented. If you pass on Darnold or Mayfield, it could end up being a huge mistake.

With Wentz and Dak running our hated division rivals for years to come, we have to have a clear plan to transition to compete. Weíve suffered through 5 bad years of the lasr 6. It is time we get back to being a perennial winner-this draft is vital.
                              With judicious moves at draft time and a good coaching staff the Giants will be battling with the Eagles for the division. I can see Dallas and Redskins dropping off.

Comment

Yes but your post said 3 extra first round picks. That to me means 4 first round picks. Even if you just meant 3 first round picks I doubt we could get that for staying in the top ten. Eagles only gave up two first rounders from the 8th spot. I'd be happy dropping to #5 though and getting a 1st, 2nd 3rd/4th rounder this year plus a 2nd next year. We would still be able to take a stud this year. I think dropping past the 5-6 range is a bad idea.

"Next man up"

Comment

Working...
                                X