Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tape Comparison (Not Eli vs. Rosen/Darnold.....Webb vs. Rosen/Darnold)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape Comparison (Not Eli vs. Rosen/Darnold.....Webb vs. Rosen/Darnold)

I'm reading all these articles about what Gettleman sees on tape with Eli will dictate whether he drafts a QB and in particular Rosen/Darnold.......he should be looking at Webb's college tape (2016 in particular) and comparing it to Rosen/Darnold......this will dictate whether you draft a new QB or develop the one you have.

This is a rare circumstance where the QB you have (Webb) has played against the QB's you're looking at.....same division....against the same defenses......head-to-head matches included........this is a huge benefit to the Giants and Gettleman.

In my opinion what he sees from Eli on tape has less of an impact on drafting a QB than what he sees from Webb on tape in comparison to these other QB's.

Me personally if you're gonna take a QB I'd rather have the kid Allen form Wyoming who's played in cold weather climates rather than these two pretty boys who have played their entire collegiate and HS careers in sunny California.....

Allen had a 56% completion rate in college this year. The chances of success in the NFL with a college completion rate that low are not good.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
      Allen had a 56% completion rate in college this year. The chances of success in the NFL with a college completion rate that low are not good.
      Eli Manning after his junior year was a 58%

Although your right it is still way lower then what you would have liked to see.

I haven't watched Allen play much but it seems like his team was terrible. I can't speak to how many were bad throws and how many were drops. Probably a little of both.

Allen seems like the most gritty of the top guys though..

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJayC View Post
        I'm reading all these articles about what Gettleman sees on tape with Eli will dictate whether he drafts a QB and in particular Rosen/Darnold.......he should be looking at Webb's college tape (2016 in particular) and comparing it to Rosen/Darnold......this will dictate whether you draft a new QB or develop the one you have.

This is a rare circumstance where the QB you have (Webb) has played against the QB's you're looking at.....same division....against the same defenses......head-to-head matches included........this is a huge benefit to the Giants and Gettleman.

In my opinion what he sees from Eli on tape has less of an impact on drafting a QB than what he sees from Webb on tape in comparison to these other QB's.

Me personally if you're gonna take a QB I'd rather have the kid Allen form Wyoming who's played in cold weather climates rather than these two pretty boys who have played their entire collegiate and HS careers in sunny California.....
        Eli went to Ole Miss...there goes that cold weather theory.
        Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Great post and some really good points. I also agree Josh Allen would be a much better choice . He’s played on a lack luster team and still managed to do some good things.

Comment

Originally posted by giants8493 View Post

Eli Manning after his junior year was a 58%

Although your right it is still way lower then what you would have liked to see.

I haven't watched Allen play much but it seems like his team was terrible. I can't speak to how many were bad throws and how many were drops. Probably a little of both.

Allen seems like the most gritty of the top guys though..
            Eli's completion rate as a sophomore was 63% and as a senior was 62% (overall college completion rate of 60.8).

Allen's completion rate as a junior was also 56% (overall college completion rate of 56%).

I'm not saying that he can't be a good player, but the past history of success with guys with college completion rates under 57% is not good.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/...rom-josh-allen

Comment

Originally posted by Mj312 View Post

Great post and some really good points. I also agree Josh Allen would be a much better choice . He’s played on a lack luster team and still managed to do some good things.
              It's still a valid point that having a track record of playing in the cold would be a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

My buddy said the same thing so like a dork I looked it up.....it's 24 degrees in Miss now.....plus they play in the SEC....it gets cold on the East Coast in Nov/Dec pretty much everywhere (Carolina, Tennessee, etc) except Florida....it's not the same as playing in Cali where it's 70 degrees year round.

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

and he played against better comp,that said I don't care if DG sees the second coming of the lord when he looks at the tape I'm drafting a QB somewhere in this draft,don't know how it's gonna shake out but what I have seen so far there isn't one worth the #2 pick love Rosens arm talent but couldn't stay healthy throughout his career,Darold just looks like he needs more time,and Mayfield in the Rosebowl looked lost in the second half once they started getting after him,in the pro's he might not survive with his style of play,Allen not even facing top comp struggled if he fell to the second round maybe or low first.

Comment

Eli's completion rate as a sophomore was 63% and as a senior was 62% (overall college completion rate of 60.8).

Allen's completion rate as a junior was also 56% (overall college completion rate of 56%).

I'm not saying that he can't be a good player, but the past history of success with guys with college completion rates under 57% is not good.

It's definitely concerning. No doubt.

It's just that specifically for the Giants.. I think he has the best chance at success. Idk if Rosen has the mental make up to succeed here (even if he does elsewhere). And I don't think I would be able to bet it all on darnold either.

If i am a gm and take a qb at 2 it would probably be Allen. But I would be in favor of trading down inside the top ten for an extra 1 next year.. Taking that STUD Gaurd to change the entire identity of this offensive line.. And using those two number one's to get a qb in next year's draft.

There is always another qb in another draft class and just because this one was "hyped" as the best qb class in recent years doesn't mean it actually is.. Maybe next year's class is actually better!

Comment

To me he is a project playing the way does it will be tough in the NFL and getting his mechanics right might take a few years or like Flowers it might never get right.

Comment

SOLD! We're keeping Eli as he's hitting at a 61% clip this season with practice squad receivers......

Comment

My buddy said the same thing so like a dork I looked it up.....it's 24 degrees in Miss now.....plus they play in the SEC....it gets cold on the East Coast in Nov/Dec pretty much everywhere (Carolina, Tennessee, etc) except Florida....it's not the same as playing in Cali where it's 70 degrees year round.
                          Wow! I didn't think it got that cold regularly in Mississippi. I lived in Tallahasse for a while and it rarely got below 40 degrees for more than 2 weeks out of the year.
                          Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

Comment

Depends on the scheme. did Wyoming have a downfield type passing game or a dump off type scheme?
                            Comp. % is more a manifestation of the type of offense.
                            Eli"s Comp. % went up when they switched to a WCO type scheme. He didn't magically become more accurate. He just had a lot more easy throws.
                            Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by big blue dog View Post

and he played against better comp,that said I don't care if DG sees the second coming of the lord when he looks at the tape I'm drafting a QB somewhere in this draft,don't know how it's gonna shake out but what I have seen so far there isn't one worth the #2 pick love Rosens arm talent but couldn't stay healthy throughout his career,Darold just looks like he needs more time,and Mayfield in the Rosebowl looked lost in the second half once they started getting after him,in the pro's he might not survive with his style of play,Allen not even facing top comp struggled if he fell to the second round maybe or low first.
                              I haven't seen any of them play..at all, with the exception of highlights. Gettleman says he's an inveterate tape watcher, so I'm good with whatever he picks. The interview will be huge for Rosen. Todd McShay says that he outperformed Darnold on the field this year, but there are several reports that he was not like in the UCLA locker room by players and coaches, and that he's not a team guy or even a good guy. That's the last thing you want to hear about a QB.

Some people may be butt hurt because he sat out the Bowl game...at least I hope that's what it is because from the highlights I saw he was balling. No team is going to draft a QB that doesn't want to be a leader or a a guy that plays professional football, but isn't a professional football player. That is the one position where the player has to be ALL-IN.

Comment

Working...
                              X